Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 21 Feb '17 22:58
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/02/21/teenage-iranian-chess-master-banned-from-national-team-for-refusing-to-wear-a-headscarf/?utm_term=.12f36af9346c

Iranian IM Dorsa Derakhshani (age 18, rated 2373 FIDE) has been banned
    from entering chess events in Iran and playing for her national team
    because she did not wear hijab when she played in a Gibraltar tournament.
    She's a student in Spain (where wearing hijab is not legally required).

Her brother, Borna (age 15), also was banned for violating Iranian Chess
    Federation policy by playing an Israeli. To add some historical context,
    some other governments have prohibited their citizens from playing sports
    with citizens from countries with which they lack diplomatic relations.
    (Iran and Israel don't have diplomatic relations.)
  2. 21 Feb '17 23:12
    Those racist women hating white rapists.
  3. 21 Feb '17 23:17
    Wha-wha. Can you say Bobby Fisher?
  4. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    22 Feb '17 00:35 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Those racist women hating white rapists.
    Little baby Jesus loves you Eladar. Sing along to this lovely song celebrating your very special brand of Christianity:

How great is God Almighty,
    Who has made all things well.
    HUGE. He makes the best butterflies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT_oDqOEGpc

Refrain:
    All things bright and beautiful,
    All creatures great and small,
    All things wise and wonderful:
    The Lord God made them all.

Each little flow’r that opens,
    Each little bird that sings,
    He made their glowing colors,
    He made their tiny wings.

The purple-headed mountains,
    The river running by,
    The sunset and the morning
    That brightens up the sky.

The cold wind in the winter,
    The pleasant summer sun,
    The ripe fruits in the garden,
    He made them every one.

The tall trees in the greenwood,
    The meadows where we play,
    The rushes by the water,
    To gather every day.

He gave us eyes to see them,
    And lips that we might tell
    How great is God Almighty,
    Who has made all things well.
  5. 22 Feb '17 00:46
    I was giving D back its own words.
  6. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    22 Feb '17 01:22 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/02/21/teenage-iranian-chess-master-banned-from-national-team-for-refusing-to-wear-a-headscarf/?utm_term=.12f36af9346c

Iranian IM Dorsa Derakhshani (age 18, rated 2373 FIDE) has been banned
    from entering chess events in Iran and playing for her national team
    because she did not wear hijab when she ...[text shortened]... s with which they lack diplomatic relations.
    (Iran and Israel don't have diplomatic relations.)
    Why are you telling us this?? If you have a problem with this issue, direct your communication to those responsible for it, because I doubt anyone here can do anything about it.

- or is it just in your nature to complain??
  7. 22 Feb '17 01:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by mchill
    What are we supposed to do about this?? If you have a problem with this issue, \
    direct your communication to those responsible for it, because I doubt anyone here can do anything about it.
    As usual, the obsessed lying racist troll Mchill continues his campaign to silence me.
    The hypocritical Mchill does not object to anyone else posting about not personally related subjects.

Mchill does not object to Eladar, for instance, posting about police opinions in Sweden,
    even though I doubt that any reader of this forum personally knows a police officer in Sweden.
  8. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    22 Feb '17 01:36 / 2 edits
    As usual, the obsessed lying racist troll Mchill continues his campaign to silence me.
    The hypocritical Mchill does not object to anyone else posting about not personally related subjects.

Mchill does not object to Eladar, for instance, posting about police opinions in Sweden,
    even though I doubt that any reader of this forum personally knows a police officer in Sweden.

Silence Duchess?? Not at all. I do so enjoy your racist, sexist rants against white males, and your obsession with blaming them for everything from rainy days to women being repressed thousands of miles away in other countries they have no control over. That clearly makes more sense than making a small effort to solve the problem.
  9. 22 Feb '17 01:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by mchill

Silence Duchess?? Not at all. I do so enjoy your racist, sexist rants against white males, and your obsession with blaming them for everything from rainy days to women being repressed thousands of miles away in other countries they have no control over. That clearly makes more sense than making a small effort to solve the problem.
    As usual, the obsessed troll Mchill lies about what I write and puts words in my mouth.
  10. 22 Feb '17 01:57
    As usual, the obsessed troll Mchill lies about what I write and puts words in my mouth.
    Pot
  11. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    22 Feb '17 07:22
    I'm pretty certain there's a rational debate to be held about the OP.

Why all the hostility?
    If you don't like the topic, just refrain from reading and ruining it with obnoxiousness.
  12. 22 Feb '17 11:49
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I'm pretty certain there's a rational debate to be held about the OP.

Why all the hostility?
    If you don't like the topic, just refrain from reading and ruining it with obnoxiousness.
    Who is going to support the woman being banned? You?
  13. 22 Feb '17 13:55 / 1 edit
    If I was Dorsa I would seek Spanish nationality and play for Spain.
  14. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    22 Feb '17 14:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    If I was Dorsa I would seek Spanish nationality and play for Spain.
    If you were Dorsa then I imagine what you would do is pretty much what Dorsa is doing. If Dorsa was you the problems woud be different. If you wanted to wrap your tiny mind around Dorsa's situation, then you would do the work to empathise and see things from her point of view, not your own.

Expecting others to make the choices we would make totally discounts their entire life experience and substitutes your fantasy, which is an impoverished alternative. I do not see your fantasy being more interesting than her reality.

The thing about life is that we each play the cards we are dealt. The alternative to this life is not anothet life, it's no life.
  15. 22 Feb '17 14:54
    Originally posted by finnegan
    If you were Dorsa then I imagine what you would do is pretty much what Dorsa is doing. If Dorsa was you the problems woud be different. If you wanted to wrap your tiny mind around Dorsa's situation, then you would do the work to empathise and see things from her point of view, not your own.

Expecting others to make the choices we would make totally dis ...[text shortened]... ch play the cards we are dealt. The alternative to this life is not anothet life, it's no life.
    Which is why Russians defected when they were in the West.