Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 20:523 edits
    My source is 'New in Chess' magazine issue 2016 / 3.
    In 1994 GM Pal Benko went to watch a Kamsky-Kramnik chess game at Trump Plaza.
    There he was introduced as a 'chess grandmaster' to Donald Trump.
    Donald Trump replied by saying:

"If I studied chess for a year or two, I would become a grandmaster."
    --Donald Trump (1994, as heard by GM Pal Benko)

GM Pal Benko told Donald Trump that he was being too optimistic (to put it mildly).
    In fact, there's no known case of anyone becoming a GM within two years of beginning chess.
    And there's no known case of anyone beginning chess at age 48 or later
    (Trump was born in 1946) and becoming a GM.

Why would Donald Trump say that? Reportedly, he has compared business
    strategy to chess strategy. Given that he considers himself a genius in business,
    Donald Trump apparently assumed it would be an easy transition to genius in chess.
    Donald Trump could afford to hire the best chess trainers in the world, but no
    honest trainer would promise that he could become a GM after only two years.

So is Donald Trump (potentially) the greatest chess genius in history?
    Or do Donald Trump's delusions of grandeur extend to chess as well?

How many of Donald Trump's ardent admirers here would like to bet
    that, after two years of study, Donald Trump could become a GM?
    My speculation is that if Donald Trump bribes FIDE President Ilyumzhinov
    enough, he might be awarded a GM title, but he would not be of GM strength.

P.S. How much the people who 'thumbed down' this post like to bet that their hero,
    Donald Trump, could become a GM (legitimately) within two years of beginning chess?
    Or ever?
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 21:122 edits
    After never being a politician, Trump is poised to become the next president of the U.S., while saying and doing literally anything he likes, and won the GOP's nomination by wide margins; that's in addition to being a billionaire and best-selling author, with a successful reality TV show.

While those things are not at all like chess, this is the reason why Trump feels like he can do anything, like mastering a complex game he's never played.
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 21:521 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    After never being a politician, Trump is poised to become the next president of the U.S., while saying and doing literally anything he likes, and won the GOP's nomination by wide margins; that's in addition to being a billionaire and best-selling author, with a successful reality TV show.

While those things are not at all like chess, this is the reason why Trump feels like he can do anything, like mastering a complex game he's never played.
    I shall attempt to stick with the theme of Donald Trump and sport (including chess).
    I don't know if Donald Trump's never played chess. He might have read the rules
    (or had them explained to him) and casually pushed around the pieces.

"[Donald] Trump feels like he can do anything..."
    --Vivify

Donald Trump has failed 'to do' everyone. Katarina Witt, a famous Olympic figure skating
    champion from the DDR (East Germany) has said that, while promising to help her financial
    interests in the USA, Donald Trump attempted to seduce her, but she firmly rejected him.
    As I recall, a spokesman for Donald Trump denied that he had ever propositioned Katarina Witt.
    As far as I know, she has no apparent motive to lie, while Donald Trump presumably
    would be embarrassed if he had to admit that he had failed to obtain a sexual conquest.
    So Donald Trump failed 'to do' Katarina Witt.

My point about Donald Trump's ignorant confidence in his chess ability is just to remind
    people that Donald Trump, like many of his supporters, dwells in a Wolkenkuckkucksheim.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 22:311 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64

...[text shortened]... ,
    Donald Trump, could become a GM (legitimately) within two years of beginning chess?
    Or ever?
    JMHO - I would estimate Donald Trump's skills in business and elsewhere (including chess) is perhaps slightly above average, no more. Mr. Trump started in business with far more hands on experience, education, and money than 99.9% of the population, yet he achieved far less than Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg and others. As far as chess goes, Mr. Trump is talking nonsense.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 22:341 edit
    I shall attempt to stick with the theme of Donald Trump and sport (including chess).
    I don't know if Donald Trump's never played chess. He might have read the rules
    (or had them explained to him) and casually pushed around the pieces.

"[Donald] Trump feels like he can do anything..."
    --Vivify

Donald Trump has failed 'to do' everyone. Katarina W ...[text shortened]... remind
    people that Donald Trump, like many of his supporters, dwells in a Wolkenkuckkucksheim.
    How the fornication do you get from Grand Master P chess to allegedly trying to get shaggy with a roller skater?
    The gaps in your thought process indicate you probably shouldn't be operating farm equipment or any form of motorized vehicles.
  6. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 22:51
    +100
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 23:09
    after 2 years he would certainly be able to give Duchess64 a whuppin 4sure!
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 23:13
    Originally posted by mchill
    JMHO - I would estimate Donald Trump's skills in business and elsewhere (including chess) is perhaps slightly above average, no more. Mr. Trump started in business with far more hands on experience, education, and money than 99.9% of the population, yet he achieved far less than Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg and others. As far as chess goes, Mr. Trump is talking nonsense.
    I have not noticed a correlation between exceptional chess skill and exceptional business skill.
    I doubt that many people would have paid Bobby Fischer to act as their financial adviser.
    But GM Kenneth Rogoff is a professor of economics at Harvard.

It might be useful (temporarily) for chess, however, if Donald Trump were to become
    obsessed enough with it to start investing much money into promoting chess events.
    Unfortunately, that could happen only if (this is a necessary, not a sufficient. condition)
    strong chess players kept lying by flattering Donald Trump about his 'chess genius'.

Can one imagine Rex Sinquefield (who advocates ending the income tax in the USA)
    and Donald Trump, both wealthy right-wing Americans, competing to recruit the top
    American players to their chess teams? It could be like free agency in the NBA! (joke)
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 23:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    And after said donkey punch, the professor would label him a misogynistic racist rapist full of white privilege lust, hell bent in destroying the world and following that, civilization.

Ooopsss.
    My bad: she's already done that before the match.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 23:231 edit

...[text shortened]... ,
    Or ever?
    Donald's problem is he was never a Community Organizer.

Therefore, he has no chance at being a Grandmaster in that length of time.

Nor did he stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 23:263 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I certainly hope that Donald Trump would bet half, if not all, of his financial assets against
    half, if not all, of mine in such a match, as long as there were the strictest anti-cheating measures.
    (Donald Trump could hire some electronics whiz to find a way to cheat by using a chess engine.)

I am much younger than Donald Trump and already have sometimes won or drawn games with GMs or IMs.
    Although I am quite rusty, the prospect of a big money match with Donald Trump could
    be enough to motivate a top chess trainer to work with me (I would pay him or her later)
    and enough for me--for the first time in my life--to concentrate upon improving at chess.
    In two years with such top level coaching, I could plausibly expect to improve by least
    200 FIDE points, which should make me at least quite competitive with most IMs.
    I would be confident of defeating Donald Trump in a chess match *without any cheating*.

Note to the trolls Robbie Carrobie and FreakyKBH, chess games are not decided by hurling insults.
    Some of my opponents already have tried that against me; they usually lost their games.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 23:311 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    And after said donkey punch, the professor would label him a misogynistic racist rapist full of white privilege lust, hell bent in destroying the world and following that, civilization.

Ooopsss.
    My bad: she's already done that before the match.
    A misogynistic racist rapist full of white privilege lust, hell bent in destroying the world and following that, civilization?

I could become that in 2 days!

Donald has met his match!
    😠
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 23:341 edit
    Originally posted by mchill
    "As far as chess goes, Mr. Trump is talking nonsense."
    --Mchill

Has Mchill noticed the refusal of Donald Trump's fanatical supporters here to admit that he was 'talking nonsense'?
    This thread was created in part to expose the ludicrous lengths to which these trolls go in supporting Donald Trump.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 23:36
    "As far as chess goes, Mr. Trump is talking nonsense."
    --Mchill

Has Mchill noticed the refusal of Donald Trump's fanatical supporters here to admit that he was 'talking nonsense'?
    Trump is not human.

Ever notice the Toupee?

My guess is he is some sort of alien life form.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 23:56

...[text shortened]... ,
    Or ever?
    when he is about to lose, he will declare bankruptcy and let someone else take the loss

he is a winner.