Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    02 Jun '10 16:11
    When Iran, for no reason whatsoever, kidnapped 15 British sailors and held them in captivity for 2 weeks and then sends them home, the headlines read

Iran releases sailors as a ‘gift’ to Britain

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17944210/

And the article is full of lovey dovey fluff with everyone trying to avoid throwing out their shoulders patting themselves and each other on the back.

When Israel sends home people who openly and intentionally sought to engage them militarily 2 days after the incident, the headlines read

Israel to expel all activists by day's end

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100602/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_palestinians

We really need some better PR people.
  2. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    02 Jun '10 16:16
    Originally posted by sh76
    When Iran, for no reason whatsoever, kidnapped 15 British sailors and held them in captivity for 2 weeks and then sends them home, the headlines read

[b]Iran releases sailors as a ‘gift’ to Britain

And the article is full of lovey dovey fluff with everyone trying to avoid throwing out their shoulders patting th ...[text shortened]... ap/20100602/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_palestinians

We really need some better PR people. [/b]
    Sly little devil, you!
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    02 Jun '10 16:18
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Sly little devil, you!
  4. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    02 Jun '10 16:19 / 1 edit
    One is a deportation order, the other is a pardon and a release of prisoners. Are these the same thing?
  5. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    02 Jun '10 18:17

And the article is full of lovey dovey fluff with everyone trying to avoid throwing out their shoulders patting th ...[text shortened]... ap/20100602/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_palestinians

It's so unfair. It can only be an international conspiracy of anti-Semites. I hear they use the Protocols of the Elders of Zion to read themselves to sleep.

Just imagine if you were a blinkered, mendacious apologist for the Iranian government, you'd be no more repulsive than you are now.
  6. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    02 Jun '10 18:19 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    One is a deportation order, the other is a pardon and a release of prisoners. Are these the same thing?
    Only to someone who is clearly congenitally dishonest. Best treat it as a medical case.

- Ignore that: I've had an epiphany. A 72-year-old novelist is clearly every bit as much a combatant as a British sailor. What have I been thinking!

It's even more unfair that the Iranians didn't kill any British sailors, that way they manipulate the media even more! Baaaastards!
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    02 Jun '10 19:04
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    It's so unfair. It can only be an international conspiracy of anti-Semites. I hear they use the Protocols of the Elders of Zion to read themselves to sleep.

Just imagine if you were a blinkered, mendacious apologist for the Iranian government, you'd be no more repulsive than you are now.
    Let me know when you come up with a coherent thought.
  8. Standard member Scriabin
    Done Asking
    02 Jun '10 19:05 / 1 edit

what a remarkably myopic and deliberately disingenuous take on all this.

I wish I could respect your position, but I find it at least as repulsive as any other jingoistic, xenophobic, bigoted ejaculation reeking of hatred and masquerading as some sort of high minded morally superior indignation on behalf of the wretched of the earth.

How noble of you.
  9. 02 Jun '10 19:06

But one regime is evil while the other is "OK".

Geesh, please stop asking such silly questions.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    02 Jun '10 19:20 / 2 edits

And the article is full of lovey dovey fluff with everyone trying to avoid throwing out their shoulders patting th ap/20100602/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_palestinians

Goebbels: When Israel sends home people who openly and intentionally sought to engage them militarily

Here's a case where people openly and intentionally sought to engage the Alabama State Police militarily:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/mar07.html

Of course, a bunch of people openly and intentionally sought to engage the Chinese Army militarily at Tiananmen Square in June 1989.

And on and on and on.
  11. 02 Jun '10 19:22
    Well I just heard that two more "relief" ships are headed toward Gaza. So what say you? What will be the end result? What should the end result be?
  12. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    02 Jun '10 19:26
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    [b]It's so unfair. It can only be an international conspiracy of anti-Semites. I hear they use the Protocols of the Elders of Zion to read themselves to sleep.

what a remarkably myopic and deliberately disingenuous take on all this.

I wish I could respect your position, but I find it at least as repulsive as any other jingoistic, xenophobic, bigo ...[text shortened]... inded morally superior indignation on behalf of the wretched of the earth.

How noble of you.[/b]
    'All this' is merely SH76's incorrigible way of being himself.

My position, surprisingly, is roughly the same as yours, give or take a few details, but then I'd be surprised if you weren't afflicted by self-disgust.
  13. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    02 Jun '10 19:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    Well I just heard that two more "relief" ships are headed toward Gaza. So what say you? What will be the end result? What should the end result be?
    I'll be relieved if you shut up forever. I'm all for free speech, but mindless babble without let-up is pollution.
  14. Standard member Scriabin
    Done Asking
    02 Jun '10 19:36
    our positions cannot be similar, as your attitude clearly reeks of a kind of hatred towards Israelis and a curious tilt approaching worship of the Arabs. But that's what one expects of Europeans, so one is not surprised.

The Arabs as well as the Israelis all should move to Mexico once the Mexicans all have moved here.
  15. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    02 Jun '10 19:38 / 1 edit
    Let me know when you come up with a coherent thought.
    Your placing the treatment of British military personnel at the hands of the Iranian regime in the same category as the treatment of civilians at the hands of the Israeli military is about as incoherent as it gets. I've read the usual papers enough to have a good idea of the whining, paranoid Jew: that's you. Hence my comment.

Scriabin has the virtue of honesty. He's a disgusting old windbag in many ways, and quite capable of high-flown paranoia, but he has my respect. It's not out of the question that I could respect you one day, of course. Maybe that's why I keep picking at the scab: some hope that I'll be able to communicate with you some day.