Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 03:08
    Assuming Trump isn't in prison by November 2020, she's the perfect candidate to smash him.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-gillibrand/democratic-u-s-senator-gillibrand-to-launch-2020-white-house-bid-idUSKCN1P92BC

She's not doing great in early polls among potential Dem candidates so far as the primary race is concerned, but Nate Silver gives a nice recap of her strengths (and some possible weaknesses):

White college-educated women have been voting for Democrats at increasing rates — 59 percent voted for a Democratic U.S. House candidate in 2018, up from the 51 percent who voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016. Gillibrand is a white college-educated woman herself (she attended Dartmouth for undergrad and UCLA for law school) and one who makes it a point to talk about motherhood and her own children often. So it’s easy to see how Gillibrand might appeal to this newly politically activated demographic.

Gillibrand’s politics have become increasingly left-leaning over her career, but she has maintained an appeal to the more moderate-to-conservative parts of her state, a trend that could bode well as she sets out on a national campaign. Gillibrand won re-election in 2018 with 67 percent of the vote, outperforming Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who won with 59.6 percent. Gillibrand also overperformed Clinton’s 2016 vote share in New York; Clinton got 59 percent of the vote. New York is a state that is politically bifurcated by geography — its upstate counties, which Gillibrand calls home, are more conservative than the downstate New York City greater metropolitan area. This urban-rural split mirrors the rest of the country, and the fact that Gillibrand has performed well in rural counties — in 2018, she won counties that Clinton lost to Donald Trump — could be positive for her.

Gillibrand has also poured significant resources into women candidates around the country, a tactic that could pay campaign dividends. In 2012, she started an organization and a PAC called Off the Sidelines (later the name of her 2014 book) that aimed to get women into politics and give to women candidates. In 2018, her PAC spent nearly $1.6 million, including generous donations to Iowa and New Hampshire candidates, useful states in which to have debts of gratitude owed to you in 2020.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-kirsten-gillibrand-could-win-the-2020-democratic-primary/?ex_cid=538twitter
  2. Joined
    09 Jan '19
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 03:21
    She better be hot if i am going to look at your link. brb
  3. Joined
    09 Jan '19
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 03:24
    I've had worse.
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 03:241 edit
    @pabauer said
    Actually, she is (which doesn't hurt either in US politics). She's not a swimsuit model, but she a pretty telegenic 52 year old woman.
  5. Joined
    09 Jan '19
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 03:46
    I love women in pant suits 😛
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 03:46
    @pabauer said
    What would a hot woman want with an ugly shmendrik like you?
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 04:07
    @pabauer said
    I think you're in the wrong thread.
    There is a masturbation thread around here somewhere. 😀
  8. Joined
    09 Jan '19
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 04:10
    Cruel
  9. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 04:19
    @no1marauder said
    Assuming Trump isn't in prison by November 2020, she's the perfect candidate to smash him.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-gillibrand/democratic-u-s-senator-gillibrand-to-launch-2020-white-house-bid-idUSKCN1P92BC

She's not doing great in early polls among potential Dem candidates so far as the primary race is concerned, but Nate Silver gives a nice ...[text shortened]... tyeight.com/features/how-kirsten-gillibrand-could-win-the-2020-democratic-primary/?ex_cid=538twitter
    Leaning left is the US is the same as falling off the right-hand side of a cliff in the rest of the world.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 04:31
    @shavixmir said
    Leaning left is the US is the same as falling off the right-hand side of a cliff in the rest of the world.
    You know, I'm really getting tired of hearing this and you're not the only one to say this.

This just seems like more "F America" sentiment that we see so much of here.

I live in Arizona, and I know what the redneck right looks like, and I am far from that. I've never seen a Republican that I would ever consider voting for, they're all just reprehensible to me. That said, I do not fall straight down the left line, as I do have a few ideological differences with a traditional left viewpoint, but not anywhere near enough to change parties.

So we're "not left enough" for Europe. Who cares? This ain't Europe. We've got it hard enough dragging these apes back to the center.
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 04:40
    @shavixmir said
    I think Gillibrand, Bernie Sanders, AOC and many other US progressives would fit comfortably in Euro Social Democratic parties.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 05:23
    @no1marauder said
    I think Gillibrand, Bernie Sanders, AOC and many other US progressives would fit comfortably in Euro Social Democratic parties.
    Not to mention Warren and Harris.
  13. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 05:25
    @no1marauder said
    Yes. They’re not left-wing parties though.
    They’re central parties, pro-capitalism, left-wing morality on social issues.
  14. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 05:31
    @suzianne said
    You know, I'm really getting tired of hearing this and you're not the only one to say this.

This just seems like more "F America" sentiment that we see so much of here.

I live in Arizona, and I know what the redneck right looks like, and I am far from that. I've never seen a Republican that I would ever consider voting for, they're all just reprehensible to me. That ...[text shortened]... e. Who cares? This ain't Europe. We've got it hard enough dragging these apes back to the center.
    I am not F America.
    Oh, I disgree with US politics, US foreign affairs and I think your president is a great example of a society dissintegrating.

But, the US and most people who live there... no problem with them what-so-ever.
    US movies: love them.
    Springsteen and Waits: love them.

Politically, though, your most left candidates are European centralists. That cannot be denied.
    It’s like our gangs. The Bloods and the Cribs... they’re gangs. We’ve got cuddly hairy bikers and hooligans. Even watching the movie about the Kray twins... damned bloody amateurs.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 10:56
    @no1marauder said

She's not doing great in early polls among potential Dem candidates so far as the primary race is concerned, but Nate Silver gives a nice ...[text shortened]... tyeight.com/features/how-kirsten-gillibrand-could-win-the-2020-democratic-primary/?ex_cid=538twitter
    I have to agree. But while Gillibrand would be on my short list of who I'd like to see run, I know she's only going to be one of many vying for the nomination. I get that she's from your area and you'd like nothing better than to see her succeed. Totally understandable.

I'm undecided at this point. I wanted to see Elizabeth Warren run in 2016; I thought Hillary had just too much baggage, and that's why I voted for Sanders in my primary. We didn't have enough good choices in 2016, this time it will be tough deciding whom to back because the field will be crowded. I'm going to remain open and see how the first few cycles shake out. The sudden media exposure from running for President has ruined more than a few promising careers. I hope this year's crop will be ready for that.