Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 09:30
    No preparation, no agenda, no substance, and no progress. Mr. "Art of the Deal" burned up a lot of jet fuel, made his grand entrance, and accomplished nothing. The North Korean leader has no plan to make his country nuke free, and is only interested in getting concessions on sanctions. Mr. "Art of the Deal" is learning the hard way there are reasons America has a State Dept. and lower level cabinet officials that can help negotiate details of treaties and other agreements to keep failures like this from happening.
  2. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 09:45
    There was a pre-planned deal ready to be signed but KJE pulled out. Your very first sentence is wrong.

Both parties say they will come to the table again.

But what do you propose?

Are you cheering for no deal being reached and more indefinite standoff? Are you lining up with my local conservative septugenarians and arguing that you can never, ever negotiate with commies or...?

What's your perspective on this, McHill?
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 10:021 edit
    @philokalia said
    There was a pre-planned deal ready to be signed but KJE pulled out. Your very first sentence is wrong.

But what do you propose?

Are you cheering for no deal being reached and more indefinite standoff? Are you lining up with my local conservative septugenarians and arguing that you can never, ever negotiate with commies or...?

Maybe the Donald shouldn't be saber-rattling for war against Venezuela ("all options are on the table" ) while trying to get his "good friend" to give up his nuclear deterrent.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 10:03
    @philokalia said

But what do you propose?

Do you possibly mean "KJU"? Not sure who this "KJE" is.
  5. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 10:50
    @no1marauder said
    Maybe the Donald shouldn't be saber-rattling for war against Venezuela ("all options are on the table" ) while trying to get his "good friend" to give up his nuclear deterrent.
    He talked very, very big against KJE in the beginning, correct?

And, in the end, he is someone faulted for cozying up to KJE, which is a bit ironic.

I think it is a testament to his unpredictable style.
  6. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 10:55
    @suzianne said
    Kim Jeong-eun (from 김정은) is how we would romanize it in standard Korean-English romanization.

One of my coworkers is 은선 -- normally romanized, as she romanizes it, Eun-seon.

However, sometimes the romanization standards used differ and people insist on romanizing it differently... But I always think "KJE."

Though it is fair to say that "은" can generally just be said as "un" but if you're really saying "un" like in 'uneducated" it is too hard and too strong of a pronunciation. "un" in Korean would be spelt differently as well. So it makes sense to keep it Eun.
  7. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 11:34
    @philokalia said

But what do you propose?

My perspective on this is:

1. My 1st sentence was very correct, if Trump had done things correctly, this failure would not have happened at all.

2. What do you propose? I propose what all the past Presidents have done regarding N. Korea. Use our alliances with Europe and others in the world to force N. Korea to scale back it's nuke program. Trump's "go it alone" style is a total failure. Even the strongest nations need help from time to time.
  8. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 12:10
    @philokalia said
    He talked very, very big against KJE in the beginning, correct?

And, in the end, he is someone faulted for cozying up to KJE, which is a bit ironic.

I think it is a testament to his unpredictable style.
    "Unpredictable" is rarely a character trait that is conducive to successful negotiations.
  9. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 16:01
    I am no fan of Trump but I do give him credit for trying to use diplomacy to cut a deal with North Korea and for not agreeing to a bad deal.
  10. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 17:02
    @mchill said
    No preparation, no agenda, no substance, and no progress. Mr. "Art of the Deal" burned up a lot of jet fuel, made his grand entrance, and accomplished nothing. The North Korean leader has no plan to make his country nuke free, and is only interested in getting concessions on sanctions. Mr. "Art of the Deal" is learning the hard way there are reasons America has a State Dept. a ...[text shortened]... n help negotiate details of treaties and other agreements to keep failures like this from happening.
    You apparently haven't read his book.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 17:58
    @averagejoe1 said
    You apparently haven't read his book.
    Trump hasn't written any books.
  12. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 18:12
    @kazetnagorra said
    Trump hasn't written any books.
    Y'all always seem to know what Trump is thinking....Do you think that you might be wrong on what he is up to? I figure myself that his main objective is to separate Korea from depending on China. Then to revisit the Korean thing, when Korea will be needing what we have sanctioned. You know, in the way that we need Walmart.

But then, he may be up to something else. Do you really think he is going to tell anyone what his strategy is? He tells us what he wants us to hear. The man knows what he is doing. Jimmy Carter would have said,,,Oh, golly gee. Trump turned his back on Kim and strode off. Imagine how shocked Kim must have been, considering no one has ever turned their back on him. Not once. He probably wants his daddy now, or momma. Trump will simply overpower him.
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 19:36
    @averagejoe1 said
    Y'all always seem to know what Trump is thinking....Do you think that you might be wrong on what he is up to? I figure myself that his main objective is to separate Korea from depending on China. Then to revisit the Korean thing, when Korea will be needing what we have sanctioned. You know, in the way that we need Walmart.

But then, he may be up to something else ...[text shortened]... back on him. Not once. He probably wants his daddy now, or momma. Trump will simply overpower him.
    You may be right, Joe.

Sure.. something else.

That must be it!
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 20:231 edit
    @Phranny
    But the real deal was he thought he was 'charming' KJU or KJE, whatever.
    He was doing no such thing, just being used just as he is being used by Putin.
    He is out of his depth here and should not even be county dog catcher much less POTUS.
    The democrat house will now do it's duty, that of constraining the powers of the executive branch, you know, that checks and balances thing Trump HATES?
    It's not for nothing Trump LOVES dictators around the world, they are his MENTORS. KJU, SA prince, Putin, and the rest, THEY are his buddies. Our REAL allies, screw them from his POV. There is a word for that. TREASON. Pure and simple.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 20:252 edits
    @suzianne said
    (Suzianne replied to Philokalia.)

The racist white American Philokalia likes to pretend that he speaks for all Koreans
    in addition to being the greatest authority here about everything in East Asia.