Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 06 May '11 12:05 / 1 edit
    After all, he was merely implementing many of the dictates laid down in the Koran.
  2. 06 May '11 16:21
    Originally posted by retiarius
    After all, he was merely implementing many of the dictates laid down in the Koran.
    He was probably a good Christian too if you choose to interpret imaginatively (as you did with your Koran claim).
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    06 May '11 17:42
    [Insert generic comment about other ethnic groups' criminals being good members of their ethnicities]
  4. 06 May '11 22:36
    He wasn't! In middle ages Christianity was violent, cheating people and lying but no I think it is alright. Islam on the other hand was relatively peaceful. In the last century it turned the other way. In the beginning there was no crap about "killing enemies of Islam", they made it up in modern times.
  5. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    07 May '11 04:33 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by retiarius
    After all, he was merely implementing many of the dictates laid down in the Koran.
    I very much doubt that. You can twist the teachings of the Koran or the Bible to justify slaughtering people.
  6. 07 May '11 06:51
    Originally posted by sergent1
    He wasn't! In middle ages Christianity was violent, cheating people and lying but no I think it is alright. Islam on the other hand was relatively peaceful. In the last century it turned the other way. In the beginning there was no crap about "killing enemies of Islam", they made it up in modern times.
    Islam is still relatively peaceful. Yes there are a few violent factions claiming to be Muslim but the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful.
  7. 07 May '11 10:45
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Islam is still relatively peaceful. Yes there are a few violent factions claiming to be Muslim but the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful.
    If you balanced the muslim countries with western christian countries ,which would you find the most peaceful ?
    i.e Libya - Britain
    Egypt - Denmark
    Afghanistan - usa etc ..etc...
  8. 07 May '11 11:02
    Originally posted by phil3000
    If you balanced the muslim countries with western christian countries ,which would you find the most peaceful ?
    i.e Libya - Britain
    Egypt - Denmark
    Afghanistan - usa etc ..etc...
    What are 'Muslim Countries'? And what are 'Western Countries'?
    Why have you specifically picked the most violent countries in the Middle east/Asia as 'Muslim Countries'?
    You do know that Egypt, and Libya were ruled by secular dictators?
    You do know that the war in Afghanistan involves the US and that the US and Afghanistan are on the same side?
    Why have you left out Indonesia? (I believe it is the most populous nation with a majority Muslim population)
    You do know that most 'Western' nations have significant populations of Muslims?
  9. 07 May '11 11:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What are 'Muslim Countries'? And what are 'Western Countries'?
    Why have you specifically picked the most violent countries in the Middle east/Asia as 'Muslim Countries'?
    You do know that Egypt, and Libya were ruled by secular dictators?
    You do know that the war in Afghanistan involves the US and that the US and Afghanistan are on the same side?
    Why h ...[text shortened]... ation)
    You do know that most 'Western' nations have significant populations of Muslims?
    This is what the British foreign & commonwealth office has to say about travell to Indonesia .." Aceh ,Bali ,central Sulawesi Maluku ,Papua and west Papua are all high risk "... "There is a high threat from terroism throughout Indonesia "
    Most western nations with high populations of muslims , no problems there ?
  10. 07 May '11 11:34 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by phil3000
    This is what the British foreign & commonwealth office has to say about travell to Indonesia .." Aceh ,Bali ,central Sulawesi Maluku ,Papua and west Papua are all high risk "... "There is a high threat from terroism throughout Indonesia "
    Most western nations with high populations of muslims , no problems there ?
    They came West with swords several centuries ago; now with bombs.
  11. 07 May '11 17:30
    Originally posted by sergent1
    He wasn't! In middle ages Christianity was violent, cheating people and lying but no I think it is alright. Islam on the other hand was relatively peaceful. In the last century it turned the other way. In the beginning there was no crap about "killing enemies of Islam", they made it up in modern times.
    -More people are killed by Islamists each year than in all 350 years of the Spanish Inquisition combined.

    -Islamic terrorists murder more people every day than the Ku Klux Klan has in the last 50 years.

    -More civilians were killed by Muslim extremists in two hours on September 11th than in the 36 years of sectarian conflict in Northern Ireland.

    -19 Muslim hijackers killed more innocents in two hours on September 11th than the number of American criminals executed in the last 65 years.

    Heres a nice web site for you:
    http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
  12. 07 May '11 17:38
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    -More people are killed by Islamists each year than in all 350 years of the Spanish Inquisition combined.

    -Islamic terrorists murder more people every day than the Ku Klux Klan has in the last 50 years.

    -More civilians were killed by Muslim extremists in two hours on September 11th than in the 36 years of sectarian conflict in Northern Ireland. ...[text shortened]... uted in the last 65 years.

    Heres a nice web site for you:
    http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
    Didn't Tim McVeigh give them a run for their blood money.
  13. 07 May '11 18:36
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Didn't Tim McVeigh give them a run for their blood money.
    Gave WHO a run for their money ?!

    And btw McVeigh did not commit his heinous act in the name of a religion or god.
    The comparison is absurd.
    Par for the course when dealing with you.
  14. 07 May '11 19:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Islam is still relatively peaceful. Yes there are a few violent factions claiming to be Muslim but the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful.
    It is then a very strange phenomenon that an ideology of religious intolerance and oppression prevails in the middle-east, it is no secret that muslim countries like afghanistan and saudi arabia have quite a colorful record of human rights abuses, and that religiously-inspired violence is commonplace throughout the region.

    What is even more strange perhaps is that all these peaceful majorities simply fail to elect governments which truly strive to uphold equality and justice for all regardless of religion, they keep silent when adulterous women, homosexuals, and similar transgressors are killed in Iran, and they don't seem to mind too much about the status of unbelievers in the country as non-citizens. And let's not forget those draconian blasphemy laws common in muslim countries.

    In my view these peaceful (and perpexingly silent) majorities are guilty by omission, their failure to act certainly does blemish the image of Islam, and while it is true that Christianity for example has its extremists it is noteworthy that the tradionally Christian countries of the west have such a low level of religiously-inspired extremism and on the whole tend to accommodate religious minorities and preserve freedom of expression and thought.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    07 May '11 19:48
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    It is then a very strange phenomenon that an ideology of religious intolerance and oppression prevails in the middle-east, it is no secret that muslim countries like afghanistan and saudi arabia have quite a colorful record of human rights abuses, and that religiously-inspired violence is commonplace throughout the region.

    What is even more strange ...[text shortened]... whole tend to accommodate religious minorities and preserve freedom of expression and thought.
    Your last paragraph is hilarious; the Christian countries of Western Europe have a 500 year history of conquest, murder, rapine and looting of the rest of the world.