Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    20 May '10 02:13
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and_canada/10127563.stm

Excuse the slight paraphrasing:

Imam Feisal Rauf: "This is a deliberate attempt to present what I see as the real face of Islam to a city where some - since the terror attacks of 11 September, 2001 - have come to distrust the religion. This space [Ground Zero] has very powerful symbolism in the perception of the world. It is important for us to be stakeholders in what this symbolism means. What better place to show that we, as Muslims, condemn the acts of 9/11 than making this stand and making this statement here. When we say it here, we will be heard."

Mike Burke (whose fireman brother was killed 9/11): "Families of 9/11 victims do not want a mosque by Ground Zero. It is not Islamaphobia. It's just that me and others do not want an Islamic institution nearby. I think the first concern for the families is that the religious beliefs of the terrorists who struck is going to have such a prominent place right around the corner from Ground Zero. This is not an anti-Muslim effort. It is understandably… emotional for them to be suddenly told that around the corner from where their loved ones were killed they're going to put a mosque."

It's worth reading the short article which tees up the controversy pretty concisely and fairly.

Is this plan to build a landmark Islamic cultural centre two blocks from the Gound Zero site an inspired idea or a misstep?.
  2. 20 May '10 02:43
    Originally posted by FMF

[b]Imam Feisal Rauf:
    "This is a deliberate attempt to present what I see as the real face of Islam to a city where some - since the terror attacks of 11 September, 2001 - have come to distrust the religion. This space [Ground Zero] has very powerful symbolism i ...[text shortened]... lamic cultural centre two blocks from the Gound Zero site an inspired idea or a misstep?.[/b]
    I think to show that Christians have no ill feelings toward Islam that they should build a church in Mecca. Let the healing begin!!
  3. 20 May '10 07:09
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think to show that Christians have no ill feelings toward Islam that they should build a church in Mecca. Let the healing begin!!
    Considering Mecca does not permit any non-Muslims to enter, my guess is the church is going to be quite empty.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    20 May '10 07:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why the timorous, feckless subordination or comparison of American values, in any way whatsoever, to what is going on in a profoundly backward society? What possible relevence do the rigid and repressive and discriminatory theocratic restrictions we see in Saudi Arabia have to what U.S. citizens of the Muslim faith want to do in the U.S. cities they live in on land that they own?
  5. 20 May '10 07:39
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Considering Mecca does not permit any non-Muslims to enter, my guess is the church is going to be quite empty.
    http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_E_church17.47ed7ca.html

The first paragraph:
    "Almost two years after the roof nearly collapsed at Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church in Mecca, a replacement structure is going up that will serve as its new home for the foreseeable future."
  6. 20 May '10 07:54
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_E_church17.47ed7ca.html

The first paragraph:
    "Almost two years after the roof nearly collapsed at Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church in Mecca, a replacement structure is going up that will serve as its new home for the foreseeable future."
    I suppose that church is just outside the "border".
  7. 20 May '10 07:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I suppose that church is just outside the "border".
    Perhaps even far from the border...
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    20 May '10 07:57
    Why are we talking about Mecca? The thread is about New York.
  9. 20 May '10 08:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    Read the thread and you will have the answer.
  10. 20 May '10 10:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well, I don't think building a mosque near Ground Zero is a problem.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    20 May '10 10:43 / 2 edits
    Read the thread and you will have the answer.
    So you willingly hike out onto the swamps of whodey's shrivelled little one dimensional 'The Saudis are worse' mindmap?
  12. 20 May '10 11:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you willingly hike out onto the swamps of whodey's shrivelled little one dimensional 'The Saudis are worse' mindmap?
    Doesn't he have a point?

When a mosque is built in the Vatican and a church is built in Mecca, then the question about a mosque near Ground Zero begin to be interesting.
  13. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    20 May '10 11:12
    Doesn't he have a point?

When a mosque is built in the Vatican and a church is built in Mecca, then the question about a mosque near Ground Zero begin to be interesting.
    For which religion is Ground Zero seen to be a holy place?
  14. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    20 May '10 11:14
    Originally posted by FMF

[b]Imam Feisal Rauf:
    "This is a deliberate attempt to present what I see as the real face of Islam to a city where some - since the terror attacks of 11 September, 2001 - have come to distrust the religion. This space [Ground Zero] has very powerful symbolism i ...[text shortened]... lamic cultural centre two blocks from the Gound Zero site an inspired idea or a misstep?.[/b]
    I think it's a poor idea. Something more universal in nature would be better.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    20 May '10 11:14
    Doesn't he have a point?
    No. I'd say not. Not at all. His comment was a complete red herring.