Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    02 Aug '16 13:20
    Is this the way its going to be, bye bye to the bogeyman?

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/08/01/polls-show-post-convention-bounce-for-clinton/
    By
    Michelle Hackman
    Aug 1, 2016 5:15 pm ET
    New polls Monday showed Hillary Clinton enjoying a significant bounce after last week’s Democratic convention.
    A CBS News poll out in the morning showed Mrs. Clinton pulling seven points ahead of rival Donald Trump in a two-way race, 46% to 39%. It was taken July 29-31, following Mrs. Clinton’s acceptance of the Democratic nomination on Thursday evening. A week ago, after the Republican convention but before the Democrats’, a CBS poll showed the former secretary of state tied with the billionaire businessman, 42%-42%.
    According to a CNN poll released Monday afternoon, Mrs. Clinton leads Mr. Trump 52% to 43% in a two-way race. She leads 45% to 37% in a four-way race, with Libertarian Gary Johnson at 9% and the Green Party’s Jill Stein at 5%.
    Mrs. Clinton’s convention bump was reflected in several other polls released over the weekend. Morning Consult, in a poll released Sunday, also showed Mrs. Clinton ahead of Mr. Trump 43% to 40%.
  2. 02 Aug '16 13:31
    It could get interesting if a strong independent appears. I think Clinton would loose more voters to an independent than Trump would.
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    02 Aug '16 15:31 / 2 edits
    Hillary is getting a big convention bounce. She's in better shape than she was before the conventions, and she was in pretty good shape then.

It's going to take something unexpected to make this a super-close race; I'm thinking either some sort of economic meltdown or a massive terror attack on US (or possibly British or Canadian) soil.
  4. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    02 Aug '16 15:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It could get interesting if a strong independent appears. I think Clinton would loose more voters to an independent than Trump would.
    Agreed. A credible independent candidate would surely give both of them some serious problems.
    My friends all seem to hold their noses whenever discussions about either party's candidate occur.
    It's a sad election year for the entire US. We will all lose, regardless of the outcome.

And it's our own fault for allowing our standards to sink this low and then accepting what we end up with.

That's my 2 cents worth. Someone else can now have the soapbox.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    02 Aug '16 15:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You can't just "appear" at the last minute as it's way too late to get on the ballot in most states.

There's Gary Johnson and to a lesser extent there's Jill Stein. No other third party candidate can make a difference.
  6. 02 Aug '16 16:58
    Originally posted by sh76
    Hillary is getting a big convention bounce. She's in better shape than she was before the conventions, and she was in pretty good shape then.

It's going to take something unexpected to make this a super-close race; I'm thinking either some sort of economic meltdown or a massive terror attack on US (or possibly British or Canadian) soil.
    I think Bill Clinton going to sleep during her acceptance speech put her over the top.
  7. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    03 Aug '16 01:41
    Originally posted by sh76
    You can't just "appear" at the last minute as it's way too late to get on the ballot in most states.

There's Gary Johnson and to a lesser extent there's Jill Stein. No other third party candidate can make a difference.
    Gary Johnson, if he gets enough support the whole thing gets jammed up and nothing gets done fir 4 years. Whether Trump (unlikely, I know) or hildas, its now about damage control.
  8. 03 Aug '16 01:56
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Gary Johnson, if he gets enough support the whole thing gets jammed up and nothing gets done fir 4 years. Whether Trump (unlikely, I know) or hildas, its now about damage control.
    The only people not voting for who the media has pounded into their heads to vote for, Hillary, are few and far between.

Most people are simply passive, mindless sheep.
  9. Standard member vivify
    rain
    03 Aug '16 03:26
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Agreed. A credible independent candidate would surely give both of them some serious problems.
    My friends all seem to hold their noses whenever discussions about either party's candidate occur.
    It's a sad election year for the entire US. We will all lose, regardless of the outcome.

[b]And it's our own fault for allowing our standards to sink this lo ...[text shortened]... ting what we end up with.

That's my 2 cents worth. Someone else can now have the soapbox.
    This is like Sophie's Choice in reverse.