Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member vivify
    rain
    20 Apr '16 16:16
    What exactly is it? Is a culture that excuses rape, or blames the victims?

And what are some examples of rape culture?
  2. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    20 Apr '16 16:26
    a complex set of beliefs that encourage male sexual aggression and supports violence against women. It is a society where violence is seen as sexy and sexuality as violent. In a rape culture, women perceive a continuum of threatened violence that ranges from sexual remarks to sexual touching to rape itself. A rape culture condones physical and emotional terrorism against women as the norm . . . In a rape culture both men and women assume that sexual violence is a fact of life, inevitable . . . However . . . much of what we accept as inevitable is in fact the expression of values and attitudes that can change.

Rape culture includes jokes, TV, music, advertising, legal jargon, laws, words and imagery, that make violence against women and sexual coercion seem so normal that people believe that rape is inevitable. Rather than viewing the culture of rape as a problem to change, people in a rape culture think about the persistence of rape as “just the way things are."

Use google: it is almost impossible to avoid getting a straight answer to a simple question within a few seconds.

The motivation for this new thread on a well worn topic for this forum of the same old suspects to express the same predictable opinions they just expressed on a stream of other threads is hard to guess at. If you keep doing the same thing you will keep getting the same result.
  3. 20 Apr '16 16:49
    Originally posted by finnegan
    [i]a complex set of beliefs that encourage male sexual aggression and supports violence against women. It is a society where violence is seen as sexy and sexuality as violent. In a rape culture, women perceive a continuum of threatened violence that ranges from sexual remarks to sexual touching to rape itself. A rape culture condones physical and emotional ...[text shortened]... ds is hard to guess at. If you keep doing the same thing you will keep getting the same result.
    Your definition of rape culture is a joke. Universities have created a culture in which freedom of expression, including jokes (by your own definition) makes you in the eyes of some as contributing to rape. Universities are creating kangaroo courts which can expel people without a trial, the opportunity to cross examine witnesses does not exists and the the right to adequate representation does not exist. Instead of using emotionally charged and meaningless words like emotional terrorism, it is time to realize that we need not recreate the wheel poorly -- we have a system to fight crimes. It is the court system. Those who believe they are the victim of crime should make claims in a timely manner. There should be a trial and we should respect the results of the trial and not interfere with the court system. Your desire to stomp on everything from freedom of speech, to the right of the accused to receive a fair trial, shows that some people are looking for a result regardless of the facts.
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    20 Apr '16 16:53
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Your definition of rape culture is a joke.
    Come on, man. We don't need this. This is tiresome and too pervasive on this forum. Just state your opinion and reasons for it in an adult manner.
  5. Standard member vivify
    rain
    20 Apr '16 16:57
    Universities have created a culture in which freedom of expression, including jokes (by your own definition) makes you in the eyes of some as contributing to rape. Universities are creating kangaroo courts which can expel people without a trial, the opportunity to cross examine witnesses does not exists and the the right to adequate representation does ...[text shortened]... o receive a fair trial, shows that some people are looking for a result regardless of the facts.
    Wouldn't you agree that the court system can only do something after the rape has been committed, and that it's more important that the rape never happen in the first place? If so, wouldn't you also agree that culture can contribute to rape, if it's treated so lightly as to joke about it?
  6. Standard member vivify
    rain
    20 Apr '16 17:03 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by finnegan
    [i]a complex set of beliefs that encourage male sexual aggression and supports violence against women. It is a society where violence is seen as sexy and sexuality as violent. In a rape culture, women perceive a continuum of threatened violence that ranges from sexual remarks to sexual touching to rape itself. A rape culture condones physical and emotional ...[text shortened]... ds is hard to guess at. If you keep doing the same thing you will keep getting the same result.
    I started this thread because there seems to be criteria for rape culture not included in scholastic definitions of it. For example, in the U.S. there's a man named Bill Cosby who was considered a show business icon, before having something like 60 allegations of rape come to light. Due to Cosby's image, many people didn't believe the charges, at first, and defended him. This fact has been cited as an example of rape culture.

Because of this, I just wanted to know what else can be legitimately considered part of rape culture, apart from what one can Google. However, prior to your post, I didn't think that violence against women was part of rape culture; I thought that was a separate issue, though I can see how they're related.
  7. 20 Apr '16 17:11
    Your definition of rape culture is a joke.
    Nothing you said demonstrated that his definition was a joke.

Universities have created a culture in which freedom of expression, including jokes (by your own definition) makes you in the eyes of some as contributing to rape.
    And jokes that encourage rape, do contribute to a rape culture which in turn contribute to rape. Do you deny this? I do not deny your right to freedom of expression, but nor should you deny the fact that expression can lead to action.

Universities are creating kangaroo courts which can expel people without a trial, the opportunity to cross examine witnesses does not exists and the the right to adequate representation does not exist.
    Maybe so. What does this have to do with the definition of the term 'rape culture' and whether or not it is a joke? And what does it have to do with whether or not jokes about violence against women contribute towards the incidence of rape?

Instead of using emotionally charged and meaningless words like emotional terrorism,
    If it is meaningless, how do you know it is emotionally charged?

it is time to realize that we need not recreate the wheel poorly -- we have a system to fight crimes. It is the court system. Those who believe they are the victim of crime should make claims in a timely manner. There should be a trial and we should respect the results of the trial and not interfere with the court system.
    Although I agree we should not override the results of the court system, we should most definitely influence it as well as using other methods to achieve goals. The court system is not the only way to fight crime or even the best way.

Your desire to stomp on everything from freedom of speech,.....
    What gave you that idea?

to the right of the accused to receive a fair trial, .....
    What gave you that idea?

...shows that some people are looking for a result regardless of the facts.
    Seems you are rather short on facts.
  8. 20 Apr '16 17:15
    Originally posted by vivify
    I started this thread because there seems to be criteria for rape culture not included in scholastic definitions of it. For example, in the U.S. there's a man named Bill Cosby who was considered a show business icon, before having something like 60 allegations of rape come to light. Due to Cosby's image, many people didn't believe the charges, at first, and defended him. This fact has been cited as an example of rape culture.
    I think whether or not that is rape culture depends on why they don't believe the charges.
    Do they:
    1. Believe the accusations are false.
    2. Believe the accusations are genuine but the act was not rape.
    And why do they believe what they believe. Is it because they like Cosby, or would they believe the same if it was some non-famous person.
  9. 20 Apr '16 17:48
    Wouldn't you agree that the court system can only do something after the rape has been committed, and that it's more important that the rape never happen in the first place? If so, wouldn't you also agree that culture can contribute to rape, if it's treated so lightly as to joke about it?
    We definitely should prevent rape. We should encourage real victims to make real claims and prosecute them. But, I don't believe we prevent rape by limiting college student's speech or taking away the rights of people accused of rape. And I believe the use of terms like emotional terrorism take away from any real issues that may exist.
  10. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    20 Apr '16 17:49 / 1 edit
    What exactly is it? Is a culture that excuses rape, or blames the victims?

And what are some examples of rape culture?
    Rape culture is the acceptance of rape as normal behaviour.

Generally the perpetrators know that rape is non-acceptable behaviour, but peer pressure and not wanting to get gang-raped in jail, creates a systemic silence.

So, mass rapings in Sierre Leone is not considered rape culture, but college football frats are.
  11. 20 Apr '16 17:53
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Nothing you said demonstrated that his definition was a joke.

[b]Universities have created a culture in which freedom of expression, including jokes (by your own definition) makes you in the eyes of some as contributing to rape.

And jokes that encourage rape, do contribute to a rape culture which in turn contribute to rape. Do you deny this? I do ...[text shortened]... ople are looking for a result regardless of the facts.[/b]
    Seems you are rather short on facts.[/b]
    University are adjudicating rape claims without the protections and standards of real courts. This is a real effect with bothers me.

How exactly do you determine that jokes contribute to rape? It is at best a vague standard that can limit all speech.
  12. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    20 Apr '16 18:26
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Rape culture is the acceptance of rape as normal behaviour.

Generally the perpetrators know that rape is non-acceptable behaviour, but peer pressure and not wanting to get gang-raped in jail, creates a systemic silence.

So, mass rapings in Sierre Leone is not considered rape culture, but college football frats are.
    Rape in Sierre Leone is a weapon used to disrupt a community.
  13. 20 Apr '16 18:44
    And I believe the use of terms like emotional terrorism take away from any real issues that may exist.
    So you object to free speech when it suits you?
  14. 20 Apr '16 18:47 / 1 edit
    University are adjudicating rape claims without the protections and standards of real courts. This is a real effect with bothers me.
    And what does this have to do with his definition being a joke? It seems you are upset about one thing and taking out your anger on the wrong target.
    I do not know what adjudication rights or responsibilities Universities have.

How exactly do you determine that jokes contribute to rape?
    I don't. But it obvious that jokes that encourage violence against women do encourage a rape culture which can lead to rape. I have not suggested that we should police such jokes or try to figure out which ones are 'safe' and which aren't.

It is at best a vague standard that can limit all speech.
    What is a vague standard? I never suggested any standard. Nor have I suggested limiting speech, that appears to be your idea.
  15. 20 Apr '16 19:02 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Finnegan to Vivify
    [i]a complex set of beliefs that encourage male sexual aggression and supports violence against women. It is a society where violence is seen as sexy and sexuality as violent. In a rape culture, women perceive a continuum of threatened violence that ranges from sexual remarks to sexual touching to rape itself. A rape culture condones physical and ...[text shortened]... ds is hard to guess at. If you keep doing the same thing you will keep getting the same result.
    Here a few recent books about rape culture, which I already have recommended:

_Asking for It: The Alarming Rise of Rape Culture and What We Can Do About It_ by Kate Harding (2015)

_Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town_ by Jon Kraukauer (2015).