Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 24 Jul '10 21:47
    this woman's skeleton lay in a cave for 10,000 or 12,000 years ago. the cave was flooded by rising sea levels, preserving the skeleton.

today's claims of rising sea levels are controversial and even so are on the order of millimeters.

maybe the global warming alarmists should cut out their Chicken-Littles-with-their-heads-cut-off acts.

-------

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_sc/lt_mexico_ancient_woman

Ancient woman suggests diverse migration
    AP

By MARK STEVENSON, Associated Press Writer Mark Stevenson, Associated Press Writer – Fri Jul 23, 11:18 pm ET

MEXICO CITY – A scientific reconstruction of one of the oldest sets of human remains found in the Americas appears to support theories that the first people who came to the hemisphere migrated from a broader area than once thought, researchers say.

Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History on Thursday released photos of the reconstructed image of a woman who probably lived on Mexico's Caribbean coast 10,000 to 12,000 years ago. She peeks out of the picture as a short, spry-looking woman with slightly graying hair.

The female is known as "La Mujer de las Palmas," or "The Woman of the Palms," after the sinkhole cave near the Caribbean resort of Tulum where her remains were found by divers and recovered in 2002.

Because rising water levels flooded the cave where she died or was laid to rest, her skeleton was about 90 percent intact. Archaeologists and physical anthropologists calculated she was between 44 and 50 years old when she died, was about 5 feet (1.52 meters) tall and weighed about 128 pounds (58 kilograms).

Experts also measured skull features and calculated the muscle and other tissue layers that once covered her face, which served as a guide for experts in paleo-anthropological modeling at the Atelier Daynes in France to complete a model of the woman.

The model shows a stocky woman and clad in a simple knee-length woven tunic. She had a broad face, prominent cheeks, thin lips, and little trace of the epicanthic eye-folds that characterize many modern Asian populations.

"Her body structure, skin and eyes are similar to the population of Southeast Asia," the institute said in a statement.

2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    24 Jul '10 22:06
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    this woman's skeleton lay in a cave for 10,000 or 12,000 years ago. the cave was flooded by rising sea levels, preserving the skeleton.

today's claims of rising sea levels are controversial and even so are on the order of millimeters.

maybe the global warming alarmists should cut out their Chicken-Littles-with-their-heads-cut-off acts.

-------
    ...[text shortened]... imilar to the population of Southeast Asia," the institute said in a statement.

Yes, zeeblebot, there were rising sea levels because of the melting of glacial ice 10,000-12,000 years ago.

In your feeble mind this proves ............................. what exactly?
  3. 24 Jul '10 22:16
    maybe the ancient vietnamese in the Americas built too many cooking fires, generating too much CO2.
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    24 Jul '10 22:29
    The model shows a stocky woman and clad in a simple knee-length woven tunic. She had a broad face, prominent cheeks, thin lips, and little trace of the epicanthic eye-folds that characterize many modern Asian populations

Sounds like our "migrant worker" maid.
  5. 24 Jul '10 22:48
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yes, zeeblebot, there were rising sea levels because of the melting of glacial ice 10,000-12,000 years ago.

In your feeble mind this proves ............................. what exactly?
    That most of you are barking up the wrong tree,, the sky isn't really falling...
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    24 Jul '10 23:20
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    That most of you are barking up the wrong tree,, the sky isn't really falling...
    Yes, it's far more likely that a bunch of yahoo right wingers are correct about the situation regarding global climate changes than a bunch of silly scientists.
  7. 24 Jul '10 23:40
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yes, it's far more likely that a bunch of yahoo right wingers are correct about the situation regarding global climate changes than a bunch of silly scientists.
    More accurately stated,,,, a bunch of manipulating scientists.
    Hey, what wrong with our data,,?? well, lets make a slight adjustment....
    wow, lets all jump on that bandwagon,,,,, you buy your hybrid car,, I'll stay in my 1 ton diesel............. my odds of survival are much better if we meet one night head on in the highway....
  8. 25 Jul '10 00:35
    I'm reminded of a little song, a song put to an old Elvis classic:

http://humor.beecy.net/songs/Elvis/
  9. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    25 Jul '10 01:25
    wow, lets all jump on that bandwagon,,,,, you buy your hybrid car,, I'll stay in my 1 ton diesel............. my odds of survival are much better if we meet one night head on in the highway....
    Just to be clear about scientists - who made that 1 ton truck and how does it work? I mean personally I think your 1 ton truck is a joke played on you by a car industry and a petroleum industry that is perfectly content to send you to hell in a handcart (never mind a truck) for the short term gain of an increasingly untrustworthy dollar. Meanwhile India is turning out electric cars and cheap (25$) laptops, China is sneaking a lead in alternative energy industries, and Silicon Valley relies increasingly on scientists educated in the developing world because American kids are getting creationist claptrap and the hallelujah chorus for an education.
  10. 25 Jul '10 02:16
    You mean that "climate gate" bull that turned out having the investigation exonerating the scientists of any wrongdoing?
  11. 25 Jul '10 02:28
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Just to be clear about scientists - who made that 1 ton truck and how does it work? I mean personally I think your 1 ton truck is a joke played on you by a car industry and a petroleum industry that is perfectly content to send you to hell in a handcart (never mind a truck) for the short term gain of an increasingly untrustworthy dollar. Meanwhile India is ...[text shortened]... cause American kids are getting creationist claptrap and the hallelujah chorus for an education.
    That one ton is my work horse, Try pulling a skid steer or a back hoe with a hybrid... also the mileage is not as bad as you may think, the diesel is known to run for 250-500K miles before needinga rebuild,, how about your 10 cent plastic hybrids?
    This truck will pull 22 MPG regardless of what I have hooked behind it. Say a boat load of hybrids?
    It's also very easy to convert to multiple fuels....
  12. 25 Jul '10 02:30
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    You mean that "climate gate" bull that turned out having the investigation exonerating the scientists of any wrongdoing?
    Ya right, that was proven without doubt.......
    Time will tell, but I am perfectly happy driving what I have.
    I do have solar at the cabin, if that makes you feel warm and cozy.
  13. 25 Jul '10 02:36
    The claim that they made up or manipulated data was definitely NOT proven at all.
  14. 25 Jul '10 02:44
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    The claim that they made up or manipulated data was definitely NOT proven at all.
    Prove it,,,,
  15. 25 Jul '10 02:46
    To be clear, Big Trucks are Awesome..... But you're totally wrong about global warming..... How 'bout you keep the truck, then we pass a strong cap and trade bill and guaranteed subsidies to wind, solar and nuclear power as we make the transition away from fossil fuels.... keep the truck, but think about running it on biodiesel. It'll keep the air cleaner, the planet cooler, and the country safer.