Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 19:01
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/SF-safe-injection-sites-expected-to-be-first-in-12553616.php

It's amazing to me that a city within a state, which is really a subdivision of the government of that state, can get away with openly and systematically aiding and abetting conduct that is clearly illegal under the laws of that state.

I think New York should open a consulting service to counsel citizens on how to safely lie on their income tax returns.
  2. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 19:14
    Originally posted by @sh76
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/SF-safe-injection-sites-expected-to-be-first-in-12553616.php

It's amazing to me that a city within a state, which is really a subdivision of the government of that state, can get away with openly and systematically aiding and abetting conduct that is clearly illegal under the laws of that state.

I think New York s ...[text shortened]... open a consulting service to counsel citizens on how to safely lie on their income tax returns.
    Go exempt, don't file tax returns and don't put anything in your name. Tired of paying for illegal alians.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 19:38
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    Go exempt, don't file tax returns and don't put anything in your name. Tired of paying for illegal alians.
    You're not one of these Article IV free inhabitants that believe that you don't have to pay income taxes if you don't file, are you?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 20:10

I think New York s ...[text shortened]... open a consulting service to counsel citizens on how to safely lie on their income tax returns.
    People don't die as a result of unsafe lying on their taxes.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 20:21

You are welcome to visit SF, ride the little cable cars and spend a little time gathering used needles from the streets.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 21:20
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    No, they only go to jail.
  7. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 21:35

From a legal standpoint, I understand your concern. That said, I think this is a step in decriminalizing drug use, and treating it like a medical condition in America. The same legal concern could be voiced for those states that have made marijuana legal, contrary to federal law. I live in one of those states, and know that pot use is slowly declining now that the taboo has been removed, and I guarantee our state is not turning down that new source of tax revenue. 🙂
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 21:37
    Originally posted by @mchill
    From a legal standpoint, I understand your concern. That said, I think this is a step in decriminalizing drug use, and treating it like a medical condition in America. The same legal concern could be voiced for those states that have made marijuana legal, contrary to federal law. I live in one of those states, and know that pot use is slowly declining now th ...[text shortened]... een removed, and I guarantee our state is not turning down that new source of tax revenue. 🙂
    Pot is one thing, but I'm not sure heroin should be decriminalized.

But even if it should, that's not for the city of San Francisco to decide. It's for the state legislature for decide. The city government is acting out of turn and ought to be smacked down by the state.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 21:511 edit

Dims view laws as something everyone should follow unless they disagree with them, in which case they merely become unjust and unenlightened reasoning.

We see this with such things as illegal immigration. As illegals are continued to be allowed to come into the country unchecked, and even fostered via sanctuary cities and such, the lawless actions of Dims will only grow worse.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 21:52

But even if it should, that's not for the city of San Francisco to decide. It's for the state legislature for decide. The city government is acting out of turn and ought to be smacked down by the state.
    Dims have already decided such matters. There is no need to discuss them I can assure you.
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 21:55

By the time the sites go operational, it seems likely the State will have passed legislation allowing them though the law won't go into effect until next year. Would there be any point in litigation and/or more heavy handed attempts to close them at that point?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 21:551 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Has anyone committed suicide because of the IRS? I bet there have been. Has anyone took a financial hit because of the IRS which negatively effected their bottom line which subsequently led to the demise of their health and eventual death? I bet there have been.

I also bet people will still die with these "safe zones" because of the illicit drugs they are using.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 21:56
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    By the time the sites go operational, it seems likely the State will have passed legislation allowing them though the law won't go into effect until next year. Would there be any point in litigation and/or more heavy handed attempts to close them at that point?
    No need to pass any laws here. If it goes to the liberal activist courts, they will defend such actions.
  14. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 21:58
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Dims have already decided such matters. There is no need to discuss them I can assure you.
    I thought you wanted State and local governments to have more power; 67% of the people in San Francisco support the idea. Surely you should be completely opposed to Big Government overriding the will of the locals if you were consistent (which you aren't).
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 22:17
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    I thought you wanted State and local governments to have more power; 67% of the people in San Francisco support the idea. Surely you should be completely opposed to Big Government overriding the will of the locals if you were consistent (which you aren't).
    The Federal government should be focused on national security. Illegal immigration is a key issue that they should oversee, but refuse to do so.

Illicit drug use can also be seen as a national security issue, especially since about 150 people die a day from narcotic use. So if they want to provide a safe environment for that, this should reduce the number of deaths, however, it is the job of the Federal government to make those laws, and not the states job to defy them. If states want power over the Feds in this matter, they should support their local Article V movement instead of ignoring the Constitution in that the Federal laws supersede state laws.

In fact, why stop at just a safe zone to shoot up? Why not a safe zone to shoot up, eat, sleep, and run around? In fact, it's called "jail".