Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 26 Dec '15 23:07
    these are one of many of my pet peeves.It especially puzzles me watching young people use these dole making checkouts. We live in times that most people have some concern about future employment ( I know that's a forever thing, but more these days. ), and in Aussie the better paying jobs are diminishing, Sometimes I see someone waiting to serve and the self serves full. Are we so stupid. I do not get it. I will wait to be served no matter how busy I am. Maybe I am the stupid one.
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 Dec '15 23:23
    Originally posted by jimmac
    these are one of many of my pet peeves.It especially puzzles me watching young people use these dole making checkouts. We live in times that most people have some concern about future employment ( I know that's a forever thing, but more these days. ), and in Aussie the better paying jobs are diminishing, Sometimes I see someone waiting to serve and the self s ...[text shortened]... d. I do not get it. I will wait to be served no matter how busy I am. Maybe I am the stupid one.
    You would rather spend more time waiting for the person to check you out than to save time using the self-checkout?
  3. 26 Dec '15 23:34
    Originally posted by sh76
    You would rather spend more time waiting for the person to check you out than to save time using the self-checkout?
    I can't figure out how to use the damn things, and if you're buying beer or want cash back like I usually do it becomes a nightmare of pushing the help button and waiting for someone to come help. What's the point?
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 Dec '15 23:35
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    I can't figure out how to use the damn things, and if you're buying beer or want cash back like I usually do it becomes a nightmare of pushing the help button and waiting for someone to come help. What's the point?
    Doesn't seem that complicated to me. But anyway, to each his own, I guess.
  5. 27 Dec '15 01:41
    Originally posted by sh76
    I do understand the " sometimes convenience " but this is often not the case, esp if you have a number of items, anyway, I would rather help employ someone than obsolete them. The shops need to refocus on customer service and open more checkouts. We have a large shop here ( target ) that has it right. they have many manned checkouts but only one line to wait in, I love it. I also have a queue phobia, which makes for a paradoxical situation for me.
    I do think that they can be useful for peak times, but other than that, they simply take jobs from our kids. better of without them, for the most part.
  6. 27 Dec '15 09:42
    I would rather help employ someone than obsolete them.
    How much of your income is spent giving to beggars in the street?
  7. 27 Dec '15 10:08 / 1 edit
    We live in times that most people have some concern about future employment .....
    I think the solution is to find useful work for people or change the system of remuneration - and hope they find useful work for themselves.
    I disagree with the concept of employing people for the sake of employment ie paying people to dig holes and fill them in again because we are just too mean to give them the money without them doing anything in return.

Most people actually enjoy doing useful work. If we paid everyone at least a minimum wage and then advertised useful things they could do, most would opt to do something useful.

I actually think the whole buy/sell industry is an incredible waste of resources. I would rather have a single superstore (like Amazon?) that minimized costs through scale. Let the price competition be done at the supply stage. And let all those people employed doing what is essentially non-productive work on something more productive.
  8. 27 Dec '15 10:14
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    How much of your income is spent giving to beggars in the street?
    None, your point???
  9. 27 Dec '15 10:16
    None, your point???
    A beggar is one of the lowest-paid professions in the world. So if your goal is to boost employment (without regard to whether the job has any sense in being done) then you should give lots of money to beggars.
  10. 27 Dec '15 10:41
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think the solution is to find useful work for people or change the system of remuneration - and hope they find useful work for themselves.
    I disagree with the concept of employing people for the sake of employment ie paying people to dig holes and fill them in again because we are just too mean to give them the money without them doing anything in retu ...[text shortened]... hose people employed doing what is essentially non-productive work on something more productive.
    A good reply, the problem is that the more efficiency's that we create, the more the gap between the haves and the have nots grow. Most of the large corporations simply keep more for the execs.etc etc. And also, finding more productive work elsewhere is only ok to a point, the work needs to be there. This is what is driving workers pays down. ok, one factor of what is driving pay down. I agree with your digging holes analogy, rather pointless, but checkout people actually provide a service and the money they make has a better chance of being returned into the local economy than if it is retained by a foreign corporation.of which most sizable companies in Aussie seem to be. That seems better to me than using a dole maker checkout.Also, I wonder, do they feel as though they are digging holes.
    I also understand the reference to wasting resources, in this case humanity, but ,is it a waste of a resource when someone can end up feeling useful. Is that not the point of it all.I mean EVERYTHING, All resources are to be used for the benefit of humanity. And I do know the responsibilities that humanity has to everything else. Everything should be geared towards the optimum " happiness " level, " for want of a better word.".
    I can prattle on but we must all put more energies into the things we can change, even small things, as it is the small changes that they take advantage of, leaving the " little " people behind. This is how they create the gap.
  11. 27 Dec '15 10:48
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    A beggar is one of the lowest-paid professions in the world. So if your goal is to boost employment (without regard to whether the job has any sense in being done) then you should give lots of money to beggars.
    I am assuming some level of " tongue in cheek " but will reply anyway. The beggar in Australia is often not usually in such dire need. The Salvation Army said some time ago that giving to beggars means that they will be less inclined to seek help and so we only make things worse when we help directly. Often they need medical help but do not get it as they have no need to get financial help so they never get a proper assessment done.
    I do give to charities.
  12. Standard member KellyJayonline
    Walk your Faith
    27 Dec '15 11:00
    these are one of many of my pet peeves.It especially puzzles me watching young people use these dole making checkouts. We live in times that most people have some concern about future employment ( I know that's a forever thing, but more these days. ), and in Aussie the better paying jobs are diminishing, Sometimes I see someone waiting to serve and the self s ...[text shortened]... d. I do not get it. I will wait to be served no matter how busy I am. Maybe I am the stupid one.
    No, you are not, but to each their own. There are time we do one or the other, it depends
    on the day, what we have, and how long the lines.
  13. Standard member KellyJayonline
    Walk your Faith
    27 Dec '15 11:01
    A good reply, the problem is that the more efficiency's that we create, the more the gap between the haves and the have nots grow. Most of the large corporations simply keep more for the execs.etc etc. And also, finding more productive work elsewhere is only ok to a point, the work needs to be there. This is what is driving workers pays down. ok, one factor o ...[text shortened]... t they take advantage of, leaving the " little " people behind. This is how they create the gap.
    The harder it is to employee someone the less of them will have jobs.
  14. 27 Dec '15 12:23
    I am assuming some level of " tongue in cheek " but will reply anyway. The beggar in Australia is often not usually in such dire need. The Salvation Army said some time ago that giving to beggars means that they will be less inclined to seek help and so we only make things worse when we help directly. Often they need medical help but do not get it as they hav ...[text shortened]... need to get financial help so they never get a proper assessment done.
    I do give to charities.
    There is some level of tongue-in-cheek and some level of pointing out that if someone isn't doing a useful job then that job should not exist.
  15. 27 Dec '15 12:24
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    The harder it is to employee someone the less of them will have jobs.
    or " the less need " there is. sadly I feel that we " need " to create the need. We actually need to " create " jobs. And I LIKE being served.