Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    23 Sep '17 15:04
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    Attempted tongue-in-cheek self-effacement to mask the reality: you can be forgiven for not knowing this little country even existed.
    Trump, apparently--- as is the case for all world leaders--- is charged with being intimately knowledgeable about all 233 recognized countries in the world.
    So not only are we expecting our leaders to be able to na ...[text shortened]... to pounce like a cheetah when someone with a title and a microphine mispronounces the name, huh.
    It is not "intimate" knowledge to be aware of the existence of Namibia (a country larger than Texas), it's knowledge everyone with a high school diploma should possess, as is knowing that Belgium is a country, basic knowledge about what health insurance and GDP are, etc. etc.

    Donald Trump could have read his prepared speech before reading it in front of the UN and could have asked his staffers to give him more information about Namibia. Instead he went in ill-prepared and once again made a fool of himself and his voters.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10113
    23 Sep '17 15:432 edits
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Or cyber bullying?

    Really. You couldn't make this stuff up.
    I don't live in Nambia. I live in one of the US 57 states.

    YouTube : Obamavisists57states

    Shrug. We have half wits running our lives.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    24 Sep '17 10:52
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Say what?

    You really floates down the Hudson on a turd, didn't you?
    floates
    Really. You couldn't make this stuff up.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    24 Sep '17 11:02
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    It is not "intimate" knowledge to be aware of the existence of Namibia (a country larger than Texas), it's knowledge everyone with a high school diploma should possess, as is knowing that Belgium is a country, basic knowledge about what health insurance and GDP are, etc. etc.

    Donald Trump could have read his prepared speech before reading it ...[text shortened]... t Namibia. Instead he went in ill-prepared and once again made a fool of himself and his voters.
    That logic blows up well before the balloon is filled.
    Namibia is ranked 35th by size as calculated in area, so it should be more well-known than smaller countries?
    Sorry, France: you've been demoted!
    Same with you, every country in Europe.
    From now on, our geopolitical concerns will be according to the amount of dirt you have within your borders and nothing else.
    🙄
  5. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    24 Sep '17 11:13
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    That logic blows up well before the balloon is filled.
    Namibia is ranked 35th by size as calculated in area, so it should be more well-known than smaller countries?
    Sorry, France: you've been demoted!
    Same with you, every country in Europe.
    From now on, our geopolitical concerns will be according to the amount of dirt you have within your borders and nothing else.
    🙄
    Your desperate white knighting of your imbecile president notwithstanding, yes, world leaders should know of the African country of Namibia. I didn't vote for the Dutch prime minister and he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I can guarantee you 100% he knows of the existence of Namibia, as does everyone else who is at least marginally educated.
  6. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    24 Sep '17 19:42
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    I actually thought that it was this place in a cupboard. You climb in and come out in Nambia on the other side.

    I'm sure it's in the documentary: the sealion, the bastard and the cupboard.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narnia_(country)

    "In C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia series of novels, Narnia is the country around which the books revolve."
  7. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    24 Sep '17 19:45
    I could readily discuss some of Namibia's 20th century history without looking it up.

    I wonder how many Americans remember Frankie Fredericks, who won four Olympic
    silver medals in sprinting for Namibia in the 1990s (including in Atlanta in 1996)?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_Fredericks
  8. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    24 Sep '17 23:34
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Your desperate white knighting of your imbecile president notwithstanding, yes, world leaders should know of the African country of Namibia. I didn't vote for the Dutch prime minister and he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I can guarantee you 100% he knows of the existence of Namibia, as does everyone else who is at least marginally educated.
    How is it that whenever anyone not-left brings up facts, reason or logic the corner crooning vagrants counter with an alleged loyalty to the right?
    Even when the entirety of the political show has been repeatedly and profoundly denounced by those not-left, your one-note-endlessly-played is some mystical allegiance to Trump.

    Whether you get it and act as though you don't (for drama, for lulz, for boredom... really doesn't matter), or you can't understand how it's even possible, I could not care any less than I do, but I will say it just one last time.

    The citizen has no representation in this government.
    No matter what costume they affect, those in power are all on the same team.

    What you missed in your itch to hand out name badges in order to keep the players straight is that a political leader cannot possibly be expected to know everything about everyone everywhere, let alone be an expert on the same.
    If a political leader was an expert on barely marginal countries (politically speaking), I think most people would want to know why they wasted so much time, energy on effort majoring on minor points.

    But then again, maybe in Holland, there's not much to do but watch cheese mold.
  9. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Joined
    09 Oct '04
    Moves
    82681
    25 Sep '17 02:21
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    ....
    Comparing a former community organizer who caught the right wind at the right time to land a spot in the national leadership only to do exactly nothing with it.......
    Oh so that's why with a majority in both houses the Trump administration repealed and replaced nothing, because obviously Obama had not changed anything to the way that Americans received health care.
  10. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    57056
    25 Sep '17 04:20
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    [b]floates
    Really. You couldn't make this stuff up.[/b]
    Haha!
    Yes.

    Nothing worse than blooping like that.
    And to get called out on it by the likes of you!

    Damn!

    Haha.
    Kuddos!
  11. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    25 Sep '17 06:58
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    How is it that whenever anyone not-left brings up facts, reason or logic the corner crooning vagrants counter with an alleged loyalty to the right?
    Even when the entirety of the political show has been repeatedly and profoundly denounced by those not-left, your one-note-endlessly-played is some mystical allegiance to Trump.

    Whether you get it and act ...[text shortened]... inor points.

    But then again, maybe in Holland, there's not much to do but watch cheese mold.
    Ah yes, why waste time learning basic facts about the world when you could spend that time assaulting women?
  12. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    25 Sep '17 09:19
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Haha!
    Yes.

    Nothing worse than blooping like that.
    And to get called out on it by the likes of you!

    Damn!

    Haha.
    Kuddos!
    Thanks, buddy.
    I'm glad my penchant for diction and suntax wasn't lost on you.
    I've been very keen to limit my mistakes in my presentations.
    It's exceedingly important to me to ensure no one herein mistake me for a world leader...
  13. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    33351
    25 Sep '17 09:28
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    So not only are we expecting our leaders to be able to navigate the intricacies of running their individual bloated governments whilst fending off all manner of political character assassination attempts and handling an incompetent and agenda-driven media, we additionally want them to also major to the point of expertise in everything geopolitical.
    I would say that majoring to the point of expertise in everything geopolitical ought to be a basic, indeed essential, qualification for anyone who seeks high office - particularly anyone who occupies a role which has foreign policy responsibilities.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    25 Sep '17 09:34
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Ah yes, why waste time learning basic facts about the world when you could spend that time assaulting women?
    When you decide to play an honest game, you will apply that honesty to yourself first, then others.
    I had no clue the world had 200+ recognized countries, no idea where Namibia ranked.
    In reviewing the list, there were several countries whose names I had never heard and which I would have never known or heard about for the rest of my life.
    Do you think that a business man of even Trump's demonstrated acumen is intimately aware of all 28+ million businesses in the US?
    If he was---- despite the impossibility---- wouldn't you consider him a bit of a savant, one clearly too engaged to possess a big picture mentality?
    Bottom line: no one can be (or should be) expected to have an exhaustive, encyclopedic knowledge on all things in all areas.
    Guaranteed there isn't a single world leader who can name all 233 countries, let alone fill their names in on a world map.
    Anyone who expects them to is deluded.
    The guy mispronounced the name of a minor country, but somehow knew the country has a health care system worth noting.
    Big deal.
    He--- like the lot of them--- is doing so many other things which are so far off course, the media should be focusing on how badly they are all trouncing the citizens for whom they're supposed to be working, not slips of the tongue.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    25 Sep '17 12:31
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    I could readily discuss some of Namibia's 20th century history without looking it up.

    I wonder how many Americans remember Frankie Fredericks, who won four Olympic
    silver medals in sprinting for Namibia in the 1990s (including in Atlanta in 1996)?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_Fredericks
    I could readily discuss some of Namibia's 20th century history without looking it up.
    Of course you could, dear.
    Everyone knows: you've either had first-person experience with helping establish many heads of state since the late 50's, and those not fortunate enough to have received your invaluable insight and analysis still benefited from your expertise in other indirect but otherwise critical ways.
    But above all the many, many humble brags you've accomplished, you are most revered for your keen ability to so accurately determine the underlying personality deficiencies of even complete strangers.
    With a delicate precision that borders on preternatural, you are able to zero in on the exact ailment burdening anyone in your periphery, be it sexism, racism, bigotry, homophobia, genderism, ageism, or even the dreaded panspermatism.
    No distinction escapes your keen eye.
    No factoid is beyond your purview, your domain.
Back to Top