Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    23 Apr '17 12:23
    If they can put Le Pen doen in the first round, it will the nail in the coffin of right-wing European populism for a generation.

    How cool would that be!
  2. 23 Apr '17 20:10
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    If they can put Le Pen doen in the first round, it will the nail in the coffin of right-wing European populism for a generation.

    How cool would that be!
    I was hoping for a Melenchon-Fillon final. Macron-Le Pen is exactly what I didn't want, but I guess it isn't my country. If france wants a nazi or a guy who started dating a 40 year old paedo at age 15 then that is their baby. I guess it doesn't really affect me.
  3. 23 Apr '17 20:33
    So, Macron president. He's not going to get much done, really, but at least France will remain a more or less civilized country for the time being.
  4. 23 Apr '17 22:17
    Latest projected results (with 81 out of 107 departements counted):

    1) Macron 23.27%
    2) Le Pen 22.55%
    3) Melenchon 19.27%
    4) Fillon 19.11%
    5) Hamon 6.34%
    6) Dupont-Agnon 4.95%
  5. 24 Apr '17 03:58
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So, Macron president. He's not going to get much done, really, but at least France will remain a more or less civilized country for the time being.
    Yeah this is how I feel about him. He's more of the same, but I guess it's hardly a trainsmash. I just hope he beats le pen.
  6. 24 Apr '17 04:05
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    If they can put Le Pen doen in the first round, it will the nail in the coffin of right-wing European populism for a generation.

    How cool would that be!
    It is a French election, so it's not like there is a good choice.
  7. 24 Apr '17 06:29
    Originally posted by whodey
    It is a French election, so it's not like there is a good choice.
    In what elections would you say there are good choices? One of the choices in the French election is an anti-intellectual obscurantist advocating a Holy War against Muslims and closing the borders to even the most highly qualified migrants (such as yours truly). That seems right up your alley.
  8. 24 Apr '17 06:34
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    Yeah this is how I feel about him. He's more of the same, but I guess it's hardly a trainsmash. I just hope he beats le pen.
    He's already been endorsed by many of his rivals (I'm not sure about Mélenchon) and opinion polls give him a commanding lead far into the double digits in the two-way race. It would truly be a miraculous turnaround if Le Pen could win. Still, the FN would be happy with securing around 40% of the vote, which would show them in a significant upward trajectory.
  9. 24 Apr '17 06:59
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    He's already been endorsed by many of his rivals (I'm not sure about Mélenchon) and opinion polls give him a commanding lead far into the double digits in the two-way race. It would truly be a miraculous turnaround if Le Pen could win. Still, the FN would be happy with securing around 40% of the vote, which would show them in a significant upward trajectory.
    I worry that if he doesn't do a good job then she will be back with a vengeance in 5 years' time.
  10. 24 Apr '17 14:03 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    In what elections would you say there are good choices? One of the choices in the French election is an anti-intellectual obscurantist advocating a Holy War against Muslims and closing the borders to even the most highly qualified migrants (such as yours truly). That seems right up your alley.
    When have I advocated a religious war? I simply refuse to remain silent in regards to injustice and the truth with the premise that speaking up will incite a holy war.

    Do realize that if a holy war ensues, blaming me is half retarded.
  11. 24 Apr '17 15:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    When have I advocated a religious war? I simply refuse to remain silent in regards to injustice and the truth with the premise that speaking up will incite a holy war.

    Do realize that if a holy war ensues, blaming me is half retarded.
    It's great to hear you take a stand against injustice, whodey.

    At least the thought's there.