Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 12:23
    If they can put Le Pen doen in the first round, it will the nail in the coffin of right-wing European populism for a generation.

How cool would that be!
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 20:10
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    If they can put Le Pen doen in the first round, it will the nail in the coffin of right-wing European populism for a generation.

How cool would that be!
    I was hoping for a Melenchon-Fillon final. Macron-Le Pen is exactly what I didn't want, but I guess it isn't my country. If france wants a nazi or a guy who started dating a 40 year old paedo at age 15 then that is their baby. I guess it doesn't really affect me.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 20:33
    So, Macron president. He's not going to get much done, really, but at least France will remain a more or less civilized country for the time being.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 22:17
    Latest projected results (with 81 out of 107 departements counted):

1) Macron 23.27%
    2) Le Pen 22.55%
    3) Melenchon 19.27%
    4) Fillon 19.11%
    5) Hamon 6.34%
    6) Dupont-Agnon 4.95%
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 03:58
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So, Macron president. He's not going to get much done, really, but at least France will remain a more or less civilized country for the time being.
    Yeah this is how I feel about him. He's more of the same, but I guess it's hardly a trainsmash. I just hope he beats le pen.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 04:05
    Originally posted by shavixmir

How cool would that be!
    It is a French election, so it's not like there is a good choice.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 06:29
    Originally posted by whodey
    It is a French election, so it's not like there is a good choice.
    In what elections would you say there are good choices? One of the choices in the French election is an anti-intellectual obscurantist advocating a Holy War against Muslims and closing the borders to even the most highly qualified migrants (such as yours truly). That seems right up your alley.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 06:34
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    Yeah this is how I feel about him. He's more of the same, but I guess it's hardly a trainsmash. I just hope he beats le pen.
    He's already been endorsed by many of his rivals (I'm not sure about Mélenchon) and opinion polls give him a commanding lead far into the double digits in the two-way race. It would truly be a miraculous turnaround if Le Pen could win. Still, the FN would be happy with securing around 40% of the vote, which would show them in a significant upward trajectory.
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 06:59
    He's already been endorsed by many of his rivals (I'm not sure about Mélenchon) and opinion polls give him a commanding lead far into the double digits in the two-way race. It would truly be a miraculous turnaround if Le Pen could win. Still, the FN would be happy with securing around 40% of the vote, which would show them in a significant upward trajectory.
    I worry that if he doesn't do a good job then she will be back with a vengeance in 5 years' time.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 14:032 edits
    In what elections would you say there are good choices? One of the choices in the French election is an anti-intellectual obscurantist advocating a Holy War against Muslims and closing the borders to even the most highly qualified migrants (such as yours truly). That seems right up your alley.
    When have I advocated a religious war? I simply refuse to remain silent in regards to injustice and the truth with the premise that speaking up will incite a holy war.

Do realize that if a holy war ensues, blaming me is half retarded.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 15:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    When have I advocated a religious war? I simply refuse to remain silent in regards to injustice and the truth with the premise that speaking up will incite a holy war.

Do realize that if a holy war ensues, blaming me is half retarded.
    It's great to hear you take a stand against injustice, whodey.

At least the thought's there.