Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 02 Jul '11 17:24 / 4 edits
    "Fourth of July celebrations in the United States shape the nation's political landscape by forming beliefs and increasing participation, primarily in favor of the Republican Party," said the report from Harvard.

"The political right has been more successful in appropriating American patriotism and its symbols during the 20th century. Survey evidence also confirms that Republicans consider themselves more patriotic than Democrats. According to this interpretation, there is a political congruence between the patriotism promoted on Fourth of July and the values associated with the Republican party. Fourth of July celebrations in Republican dominated counties may thus be more politically biased events that socialize children into Republicans," write Harvard Kennedy School Assistant Professor David Yanagizawa-Drott and Bocconi University Assistant Professor Andreas Madestam.

Their findings also suggest that Democrats gain nothing from July 4th parades, likely a shocking result for all the Democratic politicians who march in them.

"There is no evidence of an increased likelihood of identifying as a Democrat, indicating that Fourth of July shifts preferences to the right rather than increasing political polarization," the two wrote.

The three key findings of those attending July 4th celebrations:

1. When done before the age of 18, it increases the likelihood of a youth identifying as a Republican by at least 2 percent.
    2. It raises the likelihood that parade watchers will vote for a Republican candidate by 4 percent.
    3. It boosts the likelihood a reveler will vote by about 1 percent and increases the chances they'll make a political contribution by 3 percent.
    What's more, the impact isn't fleeting. "Surprisingly, the estimates show that the impact on political preferences is permanent, with no evidence of the effects depreciating as individuals become older,"
    said the Harvard report.

Finally, the report suggests that if people are looking for a super-patriotic July 4th, though should head to Republican towns. "Republican adults celebrate Fourth of July more intensively in the first place."

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2011/06/30/harvard-july-4th-parades-are-right-wing

I find this study very interesting. What is this report actually saying about the Democrats ? Are they not patriots ? Perhaps, 4th of July celebrations should be banned because it gives an unfair advantage to Republicans ?
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    02 Jul '11 17:46
    I think Republicans tend to suppress critical thinking about the country. Blind patriotism is not healthy.
  3. 02 Jul '11 17:49
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I think Republicans tend to suppress critical thinking about the country. Blind patriotism is not healthy.
    G.K. Chesterton:

"My country right or wrong" is a thing no true patriot would ever say. "My country right or wrong" is like "My mother drunk or sober".
  4. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    02 Jul '11 18:14
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    There is no shortage of Republicans who are critical of the USA.
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    02 Jul '11 18:14
    Good wishes to all Americans on this forum on the occasion of the 4th July Independence Day celebrations. Let's hope it can be an event that unites you all - albeit temporarily - in the face of so much partisan bickering and taunting, and the all too common shallow, trashy claims to have a monopoly on "patriotism" and its definition.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    02 Jul '11 18:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    There is no shortage of Republicans who are critical of the USA.
    I meant in the past.
  7. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    02 Jul '11 18:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    [quote][b]"Fourth of July celebrations in the United States shape the nation's political landscape by forming beliefs and increasing participation, primarily in favor of the Republican Party," said the report from Harvard.

"The political right has been more successful in appropriating American patriotism and its symbols during the 20th century rations should be banned because it gives an unfair advantage to Republicans ?[/b][/b]
    "Do childhood events shape adult political views and behavior? This paper investigates the impact of Fourth of July celebrations in the US during childhood on partisanship and participation later in life. Using daily precipitation data to proxy for exogenous variation in participation on
    Fourth of July as a child, we examine the role of the celebrations for people born in 1920-1990. We find that days without rain on Fourth of July in childhood have lifelong effects. In particular, they shift adult views and behavior in favor of the Republicans and increase later-life political participation. Our estimates are signifcant: one Fourth of July without rain before age 18 raises the likelihood of identifying as a Republican by 2 percent and voting for the Republican candidate by 4 percent. It also increases voter turnout by 0.9 percent and boosts political campaign contributions by 3 percent. Taken together, the evidence suggests that important childhood events can have persistent effects on political beliefs and participation and that Fourth of July celebrations in the US affect the nation’s political landscape."

The alternative interpretation is that less rain itself is what produces fewer Republicans. This would explain the leanings of many Western and drier states!
  8. Standard member Soothfast
    02 Jul '11 19:29
    Someone* once said "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel."

Republicans have always been stronger on symbols, the trappings of empire, nationalism and jingoism. The Soviet Union excelled at it -- why, just look at the old footage of their big May Day parades and so on. Power of the state. Mmmm....good stuff.

I'm not saying celebrating Independence Day is a bad thing or nothin', but the wholesome aspects can be manipulated so as to have sinister undercurrents that play to the strengths of conservatives and those who pine for the "good old days" when you could call a spade a spade (oblique reference to the "political correctness" thread here).

*Probably Samuel Johnson, though I've read that there is some possible dispute about that.
  9. 02 Jul '11 20:39 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Soothfast

Republicans have always been stronger on symbols, the trappings of empire, nationalism and jingoism. The Soviet Union excelled at it -- why, just look at the old footage of their big May Day parades and so on. Power of the state. Mmmm....good stuff.

I'm not saying celebrating Ind obably Samuel Johnson, though I've read that there is some possible dispute about that.
    I'm not saying celebrating Independence Day is a bad thing or nothin', but the wholesome aspects can be manipulated so as to have sinister undercurrents..."Soothfast

I know!!! All those American flags waving,fireworks, everybody grilling out,celebrating our freedom and independence can be Soooo very sinister!
  10. 02 Jul '11 20:44
    Originally posted by Soothfast

I'm not saying celebrating Ind ...[text shortened]... obably Samuel Johnson, though I've read that there is some possible dispute about that.
    He was speaking of false Patriotism not patriotism in general. Nice try though. Come back again when you have learned a little.
  11. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    02 Jul '11 21:16
    Perhaps, 4th of July celebrations should be banned because it gives an unfair advantage to Republicans ?
    I don't know how this study was conducted.

With that said, my guess is that this reveals only an association, not a causation. Likewise, I don't think it's really telling anybody what they didn't already know.
  12. 02 Jul '11 21:24
    Originally posted by wittywonka

With that said, my guess is that this reveals only an association, not a causation. Likewise, I don't think it's really telling anybody what they didn't already know.
    That rednecks like to party, right?
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    02 Jul '11 21:31 / 2 edits
    It's very interesting to note that Democratic politicians march in patriotic parades despite not getting any political benefit, while Republicans use patriotism to manipulate the masses.

14. Standard member Soothfast
    02 Jul '11 21:33
    He was speaking of false Patriotism not patriotism in general. Nice try though. Come back again when you have learned a little.
    I think I was saying that Republicans -- masters of the wedge issue and occasional proponents of a constitutional amendment to ban burning the flag -- in fact feed off "false" patriotism, if by "false" we are to mean patriotism that elevates one's own nation at the expense of others or celebrates freedom by proposing draconian legislation that in fact undermines those freedoms.
  15. Standard member Soothfast
    02 Jul '11 21:35
    Originally posted by wittywonka

/\
    .|
    .|
    .|
    What he said.