Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 15 Sep '09 09:40
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/indonesia/6190512/MPs-pass-law-to-stone-to-death-adulterers-in-Indonesian-province.html
  2. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    15 Sep '09 09:58
    "A leading expert on Indonesia says the latest Sharia-style legislation passed in the province of Aceh is a symbolic act by the outgoing Islamic parties.

New laws passed at the last sitting of Parliament include the stoning to death of adulterers, and punishments for the consumption of alcohol, rape, paedophilia and homosexuality.

Professor Michael Leigh, Professor Professor of Contemporary Asia at Melbourne University, told Radio Australia Today it's not likely the law will be supported by Aceh's new legislators.

"The legislation is not law as such, it needs to be approved at various levels...I think it's a part of the Islamic discourse that's going but it's likely [the law] would not be supported by the new legislature," he said.

Professor Leigh says the move is a final effort by the Islamist parties to push through their agenda before the new, more secular, government in Aceh takes power.

There's not a lot of support from the public for the law, according to Thayeb Loh Angen, editor of the popular newspaper Harian Aceh.

He's told Radio Australia's Katie Hamann he's concern that Sharia police will be pressured to put the law into practice to legitimise its passage."
    http://www.radioaustralianews.net.au/stories/200909/2686627.htm?desktop
  3. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    15 Sep '09 21:15
    Originally posted by Leon Alvarado
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/indonesia/6190512/MPs-pass-law-to-stone-to-death-adulterers-in-Indonesian-province.html
    Dude. If you're going to make a case for anything but bigotry, don't quote the Telegraph.
    Most people won't even follow the link in case they curse their computer.
  4. 15 Sep '09 21:32
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Dude. If you're going to make a case for anything but bigotry, don't quote the Telegraph.
    Most people won't even follow the link in case they curse their computer.
    Do you have difficulty in understanding the Telegraph vocabulary?
  5. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    15 Sep '09 21:33
    Do you have difficulty in understanding the Telegraph vocabulary?
    They're xenophobic freaks.
  6. 16 Sep '09 09:56
    You appear to be suffering from some form of mental aberration.
  7. 16 Sep '09 09:59 / 1 edit
    This is the headline in the linked article:
    MPs pass law to stone to death adulterers in Indonesian province.

Married people who commit adultery could be stoned to death under new law unanimously passed on Monday by MPs in the devoutly Muslim Indonesian province of Aceh.

I find this barbaric...
  8. 16 Sep '09 10:00
    But according to Bosse de Nage's article, the law isn't actually passed (yet).
  9. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    16 Sep '09 10:35
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    But according to Bosse de Nage's article, the law isn't actually passed (yet).
    It's instructive to compare the tone of the two different articles. The Telegraph telegraphs its agenda! If anything, it seems that Aceh is becoming more secular than before.
  10. 16 Sep '09 11:03
    I thought that was Daily Mail
  11. 16 Sep '09 11:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    This is the headline in the linked article:
    MPs pass law to stone to death adulterers in Indonesian province.

Married people who commit adultery could be stoned to death under new law unanimously passed on Monday by MPs in the devoutly Muslim Indonesian province of Aceh.

I find this barbaric...
    It seems odd to me that the far left seems to support these radical Muslim extremists, but on the other hand continue to proport to oppose the death penalty under ANY circumstance.

Odd, very odd.
  12. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    16 Sep '09 11:34
    Originally posted by whodey
    It seems odd to me that the far left seems to support these radical Muslim extremists, but on the other hand continue to proport to oppose the death penalty under ANY circumstance.

Odd, very odd.
    Well, when you build up a weird little fantasy about a homogenous 'far left' and ascribe views to them as you see fit, perhaps the 'oddness' is more a reflection of your own psyche than anything in the real world.
  13. 16 Sep '09 11:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Well, when you build up a weird little fantasy about a homogenous 'far left' and ascribe views to them as you see fit, perhaps the 'oddness' is more a reflection of your own psyche than anything in the real world.
    Do you deny that most on the far left favor these Muslim extremists in the name of anti-zionism or that they on average oppose the death penalty?

It seems to me that they want to have the cake and eat it to.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    16 Sep '09 11:49 / 1 edit
    Do you deny that most on the far left favor these Muslim extremists in the name of anti-zionism or that they on average oppose the death penalty?
    I have no 'leftist' friends or associates here in Indonesia who "favour these Muslim extremists". Nor have I any such acquaintences anywhere else in the world. And while I have met several very screwy Indonesians over the years who agree with the batty stuff that goes on in Aceh, they are a tiny minority.

Perhaps you were thinking of scherzo. However, much as it pains me to be fair to him, he was an opponent of this kind of loony fringe stuff.
  15. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    16 Sep '09 11:54

It seems to me that they want to have the cake and eat it to.
    Your chief term is woolly, vague and amorphous, presumably deliberately so, so it's pretty difficult to answer your question. But I suppose that's probably deliberate as well.

Even if some semblance of sense as to quite who you mean could possibly be derived from what you have written - and even if it were true - that would suggest that tactical support for anti-Zionism necessarily equates to strategic support for all fellow-travellers. Which is, of course, nonsense.