Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Apr '16 10:34
    Granted, this forum is a mad house... but do any of you ever pop by the spirituality forum?
    That is a train wreck of comedy. I swear it!

I recommend a daily dose of trying to read 2 threads on Spirituality, without wetting yourself.

You can say what you want about the religious whack-jobs, but, damn, are they ever serious about issues which are so distant from any form of reality, it's like watching Jules Verne shag Boney-M at a Bronie convention.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    03 Apr '16 13:31
    It's become a one-man show, featuring someone I'm convinced believe a word that he's saying; he's just feeding off all the attention he's getting. I think I'll stay away from that forum for a while.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Apr '16 16:43
    Originally posted by vivify
    It's become a one-man show, featuring someone I'm convinced believe a word that he's saying; he's just feeding off all the attention he's getting. I think I'll stay away from that forum for a while.
    Wishful thinking. He's back. Still wants to kill all Muslims.
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    03 Apr '16 17:04
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Granted, this forum is a mad house... but do any of you ever pop by the spirituality forum?

I recommend a daily dose of trying to read 2 threads on Spirituality, without wetting yourself.

You can say what you want about the religious whack-jobs, but, damn, are they ever serious about issues which are so ...[text shortened]... nt from any form of reality, it's like watching Jules Verne shag Boney-M at a Bronie convention.
    Oh yes...I look into the spirituality forum now and again. As a Christian, I'm rather ashamed of other (so called) Christians trying to force their views on others....normally in a arrogant and disrespectful manner, as if they alone have an exclusive franchise God's good graces. Frankly I'd rather watch Jules Verne shag Boney-M at a Bronie convention, at least it would be entertaining. Watching holier than thou Christians talking down to others as if they were inferiors is just plain depressing.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Apr '16 17:29
    You can say what you want about the religious whack-jobs, but, damn, are they ever serious about issues which are so distant from any form of reality, it's like watching Jules Verne shag Boney-M at a Bronie convention.
    Whereas a forum about Trump is close to reality?
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    03 Apr '16 19:40
    Originally posted by bill718
    Oh yes...I look into the spirituality forum now and again. As a Christian, I'm rather ashamed of other (so called) Christians trying to force their views on others....normally in a arrogant and disrespectful manner, as if they alone have an exclusive franchise God's good graces. Frankly I'd rather watch Jules Verne shag Boney-M at a Bronie convention, at lea ...[text shortened]... than thou Christians talking down to others as if they were inferiors is just plain depressing.
    I don't go there at all. I wonder why you'd be ashamed. Aren't Christians supposed to proselytise to make converts. It is a forum you know, and forums are places where attempts are made to change opinions and beliefs. Since no force can be brought to bear, in an internet forum, seems like the perfect spot to try to influence people by changing their beliefs.
  7. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '16 20:14

You can say what you want about the religious whack-jobs, but, damn, are they ever serious about issues which are so ...[text shortened]... nt from any form of reality, it's like watching Jules Verne shag Boney-M at a Bronie convention.
    You haven't anything better to do ? Tit head .
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '16 21:40
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I don't go there at all. I wonder why you'd be ashamed. Aren't Christians supposed to proselytise to make converts. It is a forum you know, and forums are places where attempts are made to change opinions and beliefs. Since no force can be brought to bear, in an internet forum, seems like the perfect spot to try to influence people by changing their beliefs.
    Emotional can be carried out using the written word.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 05:29
    Originally posted by bill718
    Oh yes...I look into the spirituality forum now and again. As a Christian, I'm rather ashamed of other (so called) Christians trying to force their views on others....normally in a arrogant and disrespectful manner, as if they alone have an exclusive franchise God's good graces. Frankly I'd rather watch Jules Verne shag Boney-M at a Bronie convention, at lea ...[text shortened]... than thou Christians talking down to others as if they were inferiors is just plain depressing.
    Clearly you don't have a comprehensive view of what goes on over there. No Christian there tries to force his/her views on anybody. Granted, some of the loudest conversations are between those of the same religion, but what usually happens is the non-believers ask the believers why they believe what they believe, and then some try to explain, only to get beaten down by the same troupe of comedians/logicians/non-believers who asked the question in the first place.

It's basically the same old "taunt, followed by smack-down" maneuver you see here, but feelings run as high over there as they do here because religion and politics are usually the two things you don't talk about in polite company for a reason. I don't talk about either at work because I like having friends at work, it makes the time go more smoothly, and religion and politics are both polarizing, and thus the perfect fodder to change friendships for the worse.

And yes, we do have a few 'holier-than-thou' Christians, but they're not the mainstream, thank goodness.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 05:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Wishful thinking. He's back. Still wants to kill all Muslims.
    Yeah, I've been watching. I thought you guys had finally driven him off, but just when I was about to come back, he apparently moved his furniture in, and I'm sorry, but I just can't handle it. Still not coming back 'til he's gone.
  11. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 07:04
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Introducing others to the teachings of Christ is one thing, ramming it down their throats in a forceful and arrogant manner is quite another. Jesus didn't do this, and I won't either.
  12. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 07:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Clearly you don't have a comprehensive view of what goes on over there. No Christian there tries to force his/her views on anybody. Granted, some of the loudest conversations are between those of the same religion, but what usually happens is the non-believers ask the believers why they believe what they believe, and then some try to explain, only to get ...[text shortened]... we do have a few 'holier-than-thou' Christians, but they're not the mainstream, thank goodness.
    I respectfully disagree.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 07:31
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yeah, I've been watching. I thought you guys had finally driven him off, but just when I was about to come back, he apparently moved his furniture in, and I'm sorry, but I just can't handle it. Still not coming back 'til he's gone.
    I have never tried it, but I believe there is a script that can hide all posts from a given poster:
    http://www.bigdogghouse.com/RHP/
    It might make some threads incomprehensible though.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 13:06
    So will this be our mini spirituality forum until things go back to normal? What should we argue about?
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 16:17
    Originally posted by JS357
    Emotional can be carried out using the written word.
    No doubt. But that would apply to any and all forums, here or anywhere else.