Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 22:19
    The Jan/Feb issue of Scientific American Mind has this piece in it about transgender kids.

What do people here think of this issue? All in their heads? Hey little girl, you can't be playing with toy soldiers.

He little boy, get out of that dress, be a man.

Is that how it is?

It is an interesting article. They say if a trans kid at age 8 says he or she is not what we thought they were, but by age 16 about 1/3 of them grow out of it and are happy with their bodies.

And out of that bunch, the girls never turned gay but about half the boys became gay.

It's a complex issue for sure.

The deciding factor seems to be 'insistence, constistence, and persistence.

Not, gee, I wish I was a boy. But, I am a girl. Period. And keeping that up for a decade.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 22:23
    I don't think many people really care what sex another person believes he or she is supposed to be. The problem comes when people start forcing it on others.

Your sex is based on physical features, not what you believe yourself to be.

If you are a guy, then use the guy restrooms. If you are a girl, then use the girl restrooms.

If you want an operation, then pay for it with your own money.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 22:37
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I don't think many people really care what sex another person believes he or she is supposed to be. The problem comes when people start forcing it on others.

Your sex is based on physical features, not what you believe yourself to be.

If you are a guy, then use the guy restrooms. If you are a girl, then use the girl restrooms.

If you want an operation, then pay for it with your own money.
    Well stated!
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 23:48
    "Your sex is based on physical features, not what you believe yourself to be. "

Can you support this statement, or do you just feel that it's self-evident?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 23:54
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    "Your sex is based on physical features, not what you believe yourself to be. "

Can you support this statement, or do you just feel that it's self-evident?
    It is self evident, but my further explanation was banned when I tried to submit it.
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 00:15
    It is self evident, but my further explanation was banned when I tried to submit it.
    Does having Scandinavian features make me Scandinavian?
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 00:19
    What is the justification for gender-specific restrooms anyway?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 00:28
    Originally posted by JS357
    What is the justification for gender-specific restrooms anyway?
    I believe it is to provide better privacy for women and to cut down on rapes and unwanted pregnancies.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 00:56
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Does having Scandinavian features make me Scandinavian?
    You can always do the old genetics test: xx vs xy

Libtards are real idiots.
  10. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 00:59
    Can you imagine what people just a few generations ago would be saying if they could have seen the future? Hell them people don't know if they are men or women, boys or girls!!! They don't even know which bathroom to use. A few generations back, people were probably less advanced.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 01:451 edit
    You can always do the old genetics test: xx vs xy
    Libtards are real idiots.
    Contrary to Eladar's usual ignorance, not everyone is born with either XX or XY chromosomes.

As I have mentioned earlier, some persons are born with XY (male) chromosomes and a
    rare condition known as 'androgen insensitivity', which makes them unable to process testosterone.
    (Hence, they avoid the masculinizing effects of testosterone upon fetal development.)
    These persons (with XY chromosomes) tend to grow up perceiving themselves as 'natural' women,
    with breasts and vaginas, but typically no ovaries or uteruses. These women have the
    same capacities as other 'natural' women except that they don't have periods and cannot
    fall pregnant and give birth. Indeed, some of these women (who previously enjoyed normal
    heterosexual activities with men) have been shocked to discover (not even their doctors knew)
    that they really had XY chromosomes and androgen insensitivity. Some professional
    fashion models (for women's clothes) have XY chromosomes and androgen insensitivity.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 01:481 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The Jan/Feb issue of Scientific American Mind has this piece in it about transgender kids.

What do people here think of this issue? All in their heads? Hey little girl, you can't be playing with toy soldiers.

He little boy, get out of that dress, be a man.

Is that how it is?

It is an interesting article. They say if a trans kid at age 8 says h ...[text shortened]... e.

Not, gee, I wish I was a boy. But, I am a girl. Period. And keeping that up for a decade.
    "Hey little girl, you can't be playing with toy soldiers."
    --Sonhouse

So put the chess set away and stick to playing with dolls!

Speaking of the most recently publicized transgender woman, Caitlyn Jenner (formerly Bruce
    Jenner, 1976 Olympic champion in the decathlon), it's a sign of the celebrity-driven times
    that some Americans have decided to acclaim her (already!) as 'Woman of the Year'.
    There's more than one path to womanhood, and I wish Caitlyn Jenner the best as she
    attempts to find happiness along her path to it. But I believe that *being* a great woman
    requires more than just (bravely) taking some steps toward *becoming* a new woman.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 03:24
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "Hey little girl, you can't be playing with toy soldiers."
    --Sonhouse

So put the chess set away and stick to playing with dolls!

Speaking of the most recently publicized transgender woman, Caitlyn Jenner (formerly Bruce
    Jenner, 1976 Olympic champion in the decathlon), it's a sign of the celebrity-driven times
    that some Americans have decided to a ...[text shortened]... great woman
    requires more than just (bravely) taking some steps toward *becoming* a new woman.
    I remember someone suggesting something unusual like that about you. I don't remember who, but I believe it was on the Chess Forum that I read it. I never really believed it, but it has remainded in the back of my mind.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 05:57
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Can you imagine what people just a few generations ago would be saying if they could have seen the future? Hell them people don't know if they are men or women, boys or girls!!! They don't even know which bathroom to use. A few generations back, people were probably less advanced.
    It depends on which part of the world. In some cases they were very accepting and transgender people had less problems than they do today. In other places they got taken outside the village and stoned. It all depends on what place you are talking about.
    If, however you think transgender people just didn't exist, then you are badly mistaken.
  15. Standard membershavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 07:34
    Let me first of all state: I don't care what anybody is sexually. Up to them. Good luck with it. The more choices, the merrier, if you ask me.

I had a female friend who had a sex change and became a male friend.
    Before his operation (or before "her" operation as it was physically, although I have been corrected many times that it was still before "his" operation, because that's what he considers himself) we had a chat.

Basically I said something along the lines of: "Why are you so hung up about it? I mean, mutulating your genitals to become what you think you are is rather extreme."

And he (then still a "she" in my mind) answered: "How would you feel if you woke up tomorrow in a woman's body?"
    I didn't have to think about it. Really. I said: "I wouldn't care. I'd probably buy a big ceiling mirror and masturbate myself to death."

Then he said: "How would you feel showering with women instead of men after sports. That's what I go through every day."

And, God forgive me (as an atheist it's a slight exaggeration), at that moment I really thought: "Dude... you are not a man. Every man I know would pay a king's ransom to shower with naked women every single bloody day."