Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 18:56
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/trump-hits-amazon-with-another-internet-tax-threat.html

I think it's axiomatic that mail is no longer necessary to communicate. As such, subsidizing the post office (which runs deficits int he billions -
    https://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2016/pr16_092.htm) is no longer a societal necessity.

The USPS is now primarily there to deliver commercial mail (most of it junk) and packages. Given how cheap goods are in the US and how well online retailers are doing, there's no reason to subsidize the USPS.

The USPS should raise the mail rates, which are cheap now, adjusted for inflation, compared to past decades. In terms of packages, it should set its price to whatever will compete with the other carries like UPS and FedEx. If our daily Amazon orders cost 50 extra cents, so be it.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 20:04
    Originally posted by @sh76
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/trump-hits-amazon-with-another-internet-tax-threat.html

I think it's axiomatic that mail is no longer necessary to communicate. As such, subsidizing the post office (which runs deficits int he billions -
    https://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2016/pr16_092.htm) is no longer a societal necessity.

The USPS is now pr ...[text shortened]... the other carries like UPS and FedEx. If our daily Amazon orders cost 50 extra cents, so be it.
    More right wing lies!

Without a government run mail system we would all be dying in the streets! 😲
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 20:20

The USPS is now pr ...[text shortened]... the other carries like UPS and FedEx. If our daily Amazon orders cost 50 extra cents, so be it.
    There is one singular reason why the US mail should be public, and not privately-owned.

It is called "sanctity of the mail". Postal employees are fired every year across the country for opening mail or otherwise compromising this sanctity. If you let private corporations handle the mail, there will be NO "sanctity of the mail" (look up the term), and the price will skyrocket, functionally eliminating this way to send a letter or package across the country cheaply. Sending a letter or package would be like a lottery, where the "winners" actually get their mail delivered. Rural addresses will cease to be served because there's no "profit" in it.

This is one area where the US government does the job far better and far more cheaply than any private corporation could. And the employees actually care about doing a good job. Just imagine, for a moment, mail delivery under a profit-driven corporation like Wal-Mart. Hindsight is 20/20. Meaning, you might be promoting it now, but after all is said and done, and after millions of USPS employees are out of a job with no compensation like a retirement system, and after the price goes through the roof, and you'll be lucky to get any mail that hasn't already been opened and had valuable contents stolen, you'll wish the USPS was back.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 20:21

Not a bad idea
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 20:22
    Originally posted by @whodey
    More right wing lies!

Without a government run mail system we would all be dying in the streets! 😲
    Hyperbole, your name is whodey.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 20:32
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Hyperbole, your name is whodey.
    My name is hyperbole now?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 20:331 edit
    There is one singular reason why the US mail should be public, and not privately-owned.

It is called "sanctity of the mail". Postal employees are fired every year across the country for opening mail or otherwise compromising this sanctity. If you let private corporations handle the mail, there will be NO "sanctity of the mail" (look up the term), and ...[text shortened]... that hasn't already been opened and had valuable contents stolen, you'll wish the USPS was back.
    Exactly!

Our mail is holy. The envelops are white as snow after all.

No point in trying to convince Alt Right moonbats like sh.
  8. Subscriberjoe shmo
    Strange Egg
    podunk, PA
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 21:33

It is called "sanctity of the mail". Postal employees are fired every year across the country for opening mail or otherwise compromising this sanctity. If you let private corporations handle the mail, there will be NO "sanctity of the mail" (look up the term), and ...[text shortened]... that hasn't already been opened and had valuable contents stolen, you'll wish the USPS was back.
    sh76 said we should not "subsidize" USPS. Where are you inferring he meant USPS should be "privatized"?
  9. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 21:57

LOL...I guess you have never heard of UPS, FEDEX or DHL have you? Or insurance? I guess the company you work for determines how honest you are ...LOL. Poor liberals
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 23:41
    Originally posted by @joe-shmo
    sh76 said we should not "subsidize" USPS. Where are you inferring he meant USPS should be "privatized"?
    Pray tell, what ELSE could he possibly mean when the FACT is that the USPS is NOT "subsidized" by the Fed government now. The USPS must, by law, pay their own way.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 23:47
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    LOL...I guess you have never heard of UPS, FEDEX or DHL have you? Or insurance? I guess the company you work for determines how honest you are ...LOL. Poor liberals
    Idiot conservatard deification of the corporation. Yes, I've heard of those. How else do you think I know that the mail service in the US is far, FAR better off with the USPS running things? Corporations have already ruined education in this country, you really want the mail to follow down that "sh--hole"?
  12. Subscriberjoe shmo
    Strange Egg
    podunk, PA
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 00:11
    Pray tell, what ELSE could he possibly mean when the FACT is that the USPS is NOT "subsidized" by the Fed government now. The USPS must, by law, pay their own way.
    Since 2012 they have a net LOSS of nearly 32 Billion! Where are they getting the money to pay salaries? They are heavily subsidized by the US tax payer.
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 00:36
    Idiot conservatard deification of the corporation. Yes, I've heard of those. How else do you think I know that the mail service in the US is far, FAR better off with the USPS running things? Corporations have already ruined education in this country, you really want the mail to follow down that "sh--hole"?
    corporations have ruined education? you are out there aren't you?
  14. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 00:441 edit
    Here is one of the MANY problems with the USPS...EPACKET

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2017/11/05/how-the-usps-epacket-gives-postal-subsidies-to-chinese-e-commerce-merchants-to-ship-to-the-usa-cheap/#4c96a58540ca
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 02:14
    Originally posted by @joe-shmo
    Since 2012 they have a net LOSS of nearly 32 Billion! Where are they getting the money to pay salaries? They are heavily subsidized by the US tax payer.
    Please try to stop running around like a headless chicken until you do some research on this.