Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    24 Jan '13 06:39
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21172033

US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has decided to lift the military's ban on women serving in combat, a senior Pentagon official has said.

The move could open hundreds of thousands of front-line positions and elite commando jobs to women.

It overturns a 1994 rule prohibiting women from being assigned to small ground-combat units.

But the military would have until 2016 to argue for any specific posts they think should remained closed to women.

The decision is expected to be formally announced on Thursday.

What were the cases for and against this change of policy?
  2. 24 Jan '13 09:02
    Originally posted by FMF

US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has decided to lift the military's ban on women serving in combat, a senior Pentagon official has said.

The move could open hundreds of thousands of front-line positions and elite commando jobs to women.

It overturns a 1994 rule prohibiting women from being assig ...[text shortened]... ly announced on Thursday.

The case for women in combat is that they are no longer a reliable source for sex at the main bases for the upper echelon to exploit without great risk. The case against women in combat is that now not only are the gays going to be too preoccupied on the front line to be of use in combat but now everyone else will be too.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    24 Jan '13 09:15
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    The case for women in combat is that they are no longer a reliable source for sex at the main bases for the upper echelon to exploit without great risk. The case against women in combat is that now not only are the gays going to be too preoccupied on the front line to be of use in combat but now everyone else will be too.
    Maybe men who would be of no use on the front line should simply be run out of a volunteer army.
  4. 24 Jan '13 12:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

It overturns a 1994 rule prohibiting women from being assig ...[text shortened]... ly announced on Thursday.

Depends on whether they have had to lower the physical criteria for entry into the infantry, marines, etc; and if so, by how much.
  5. 24 Jan '13 13:16
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Depends on whether they have had to lower the physical criteria for entry into the infantry, marines, etc; and if so, by how much.
    It seems not. From the report:

""I understand that stereotypically there are some physical differences but... there are a lot of men doing these jobs who are not built like Goliath. It's unfortunate that we have to hold women to a higher standard.

"If you're able to meet the standards, then your gender should not hold you back. It's simple black and white discrimination."""
  6. 24 Jan '13 13:35
    Originally posted by JS357

""I understand that stereotypically there are some physical differences but... there are a lot of men doing these jobs who are not built like Goliath. It's unfortunate that we have to hold women to a higher standard.

"If you're able to meet the standards, then your gender should not hold you back. It's simple black and white discrimination."""
    How much physical strength is requiered to guide a drone or fly a fighter jet? My understanding is, women will still be unable to fly fighter planes. As for the sexist and gay bashing comments, we all know that young heterosexual men have so much testosterone that they become psychopathic murderers in a combat zone which is not the way to win friends in foreign lands not to mention the impact the war crimes they must commit due to their nature, has on our international foreign relations.
  7. 24 Jan '13 13:54 / 2 edits
    More social engineering via political correctness is all Obama is capable of.

The bottom line is that men are physically stronger and when captured are not as likely to be raped.

I wonder if Obama thinks about his daughters being drafted and sent to the front lines. No worries, the annointed one would never be asked to send his daughters, or even their mother, to the front lines cause he's special.

My bad.
  8. 24 Jan '13 14:13
    Originally posted by whodey

The bottom line is that men are physically stronger and when captured are not as likely to be raped.

I wonder if Obama thinks about his daughters being drafted and sent to the front lines. No worries, the annointed one would never be asked to send his daughters, or even their mother, to the front lines cause he's special.

My bad.
    Very nice of you to protect women from rape, but maybe you should let the women themselves decide whether they are willing to run that risk ?

Oh, and Obama probably isn't thinking about having his daughters drafted, most likely because there is no draft.
  9. 24 Jan '13 14:14
    I guess whodey would prefer a ban on men being around women. That would minimize their chances of being raped.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    24 Jan '13 14:19
    Discriminatory regulations and laws, and certain kinds of applicants being banned, restricted or treated differently, is "social engineering". Ending institutionalized discrimination and giving people more freedom to choose what they can do is the opposite of "social engineering".
  11. 24 Jan '13 14:21
    Originally posted by JS357

Then I cannot see anything other than a patriarchal argument against women in combat roles, and that is not really an argument at all.
  12. 24 Jan '13 14:33 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I guess whodey would prefer a ban on men being around women. That would minimize their chances of being raped.
    I prefer having the most capable fighting force in the field idiot.

War has nothing to do with political correctness.

Why are there no women playing in the NFL? Is it because of discrimination?
  13. 24 Jan '13 14:47

would you agree that there are some women who are physically strong enough to do the job?
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    24 Jan '13 14:48

I don't think women are banned from the NFL. They're just not built to play the game. There have been female placekickers in college and I don't see why there could not be the same in the NFL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Hnida
  15. 24 Jan '13 14:56
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't think women are banned from the NFL. They're just not built to play the game. There have been female placekickers in college and I don't see why there could not be the same in the NFL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Hnida
    Lets face it sh,

you just want to see naked female mud wrestling.