Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    19 Aug '12 23:49
    So says Republican candidate for the US Senate seat in Missouri Todd Akin. When asked if he supported a "rape" exception for abortion he stated:

From what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," said Akin said of pregnancy caused by rape. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/19/todd-akin-abortion-legitimate-rape_n_1807381.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Are there any doctors here who could verify Mr. Akin's information as to the female body's defense mechanisms that prevent pregnancy because of rape?

It's been widely assumed that Akins was a clear favorite to unseat vulnerable Democratic incumbent Claire McCaskill, but does such a dunderheaded statement change the dynamics? Or will it all be forgotten come November?
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    20 Aug '12 00:36
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    So says Republican candidate for the US Senate seat in Missouri Todd Akin. When asked if he supported a "rape" exception for abortion he stated:

From what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," said Akin said of pregnancy caused by rape. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assum ...[text shortened]... nderheaded statement change the dynamics? Or will it all be forgotten come November?
    Wow.

Could be a macaca moment for Akin.
  3. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    20 Aug '12 00:47
    Originally posted by sh76
    Wow.

Nate Silver made that comparison on 538, as well as pointing out that similar controversies have caused, on average, a ten point swing: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/akin-comments-could-swing-missouri-senate-race/#more-33430
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    20 Aug '12 01:09
    I see. So if she becomes pregnant, it must not really have been rape.
  5. 20 Aug '12 04:57
    Yes, but good thing Romney "disagrees" with Akin.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/romney-campaign-disagree-with-todd-akin.php

Gosh, and I "disagree" with Andrea Dworkin that all men are rapists.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    20 Aug '12 13:21 / 1 edit
    Nate Silver made that comparison on 538, as well as pointing out that similar controversies have caused, on average, a ten point swing: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/akin-comments-could-swing-missouri-senate-race/#more-33430
    Yeah, I figured he would (Nate posted that only an hour after my post above). Nate characterizes races and scandals in terms of macaca. If a candidate trails by a significant amount but still could win with the help of a good scandal, Nate will refer to the candidate as being within "macaca range." One of the great Nate-isms.

That macaca moment might very well have cost Allen a chance to be President one day. If he had cruised to a 6 or 8 point win in 2006 in a Dem wave election in a purple state, he would have been a very attractive presidential candidate in '08 or '12. It's amazing how one word can ruin a career.
  7. 20 Aug '12 13:35
    Originally posted by sh76
    Wow.

Yeah, looks like Akin legitimately raped his chances for re-election. Fortunately the GOP has ways to shut this whole affair down.
  8. 20 Aug '12 15:44
    "If it's a legitimate rape,
    What exactly is an illegitimate rape?
  9. 20 Aug '12 15:45
    Originally posted by Phil Hill
    One that causes pregnancy, of course.
  10. 20 Aug '12 15:53
    Originally posted by Phil Hill
    God only knows what he meant, but I assumed he was trying to differentiate between rape when it is violently forced, and rape when the act is not forced but the person is below the age of legal consent.

In other words, in his mind, the body would prevent pregnancy if it was the former, but not the latter.

Best guess, anyway.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    20 Aug '12 16:23
    My impression is that he thinks if the woman got pregnant, she really wanted to have sex and is lying about rape.
  12. 20 Aug '12 17:00
    There are reports this morning that Democrats are soft-pedaling their criticisms of Akin because they're afraid that he might leave the race. The deadline is Tuesday. Republicans are calling for his head.

Either way, this has revived McCaskill's campaign.

From TPM:

“I really think that for the national party to try to come in here and dictate to the Republican primary voters that they’re going to invalidate their decision, that would be pretty radical,” McCaskill told MSNBC Monday. “I think there could be a backlash for the Republicans if they did that.”

As soon as Akin’s comments hit the web Sunday, some conservative activists and GOP strategists started musing about bumping the freshly-minted Senate nominee from the November ballot. Early Reports are that Akin would have to leave the race by Tuesday to give the GOP a chance to find a replacement.

McCaskill noted that Akin won his Aug. 7 three-way primary by a comfortable margin. He had the help of national Tea Party activists as well as the backing of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, lately best known for leading the conservative defense of Chick-fil-A. Akin’s victory was celebrated in some conservative circles as a big win.
  13. 20 Aug '12 20:01
    Akin's in for the fight! Yes!

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/todd-akin-i-have-not-yet-begun-to-fight.php?ref=fpa
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    21 Aug '12 02:32 / 1 edit
    I would now make McCaskill a 2:1 favorite.
  15. 21 Aug '12 03:10
    So Akin is the new GOP Joe Biden. If only Romney had chosen him for VP!!