Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    20 May '13 00:53 / 1 edit
    It's been an interesting 2 weeks. Between the Benghazi buzz on Capital Hill and the IRS situation targeting tea party groups, the GOP has been demanding revenge! One would think President Obama, and Hillary Clinton's approval rating would be taking a big hit as a result of all this....WRONG! President Obama's approval rating has been holding steady at about 51%, while Hillary Clinton's approval rating is even higher at 66%! Why is this? I can suggest 2 reasons:

1. Despite all the investigations, legal proceedings, claims of lies, cover ups etc. The GOP has yet to prove either President Obama or Hillary Clinton is guilty of anything illegal.

2. Rather than proceeding in a professional, statesman-like manner, the GOP has been so mean spirited, and hostile in it's approach to these issues, most people feel these issues are being pursued only for political revenge, rather than an effort to get at the truth.

So, how should the GOP proceed? A wiser course of action might be in not making accusations that one can't prove, and being a bit less hostile when wrongdoing is discovered. Case in point: Bill Clinton had an affair with Monica Lewinski, and was impeached, yet left office with a job approval rating over 60%, and remains popular to this day, simply because most people feel the impeachment was done only for political reasons. So, tone down the anger republicans...you'll catch a lot more bees with honey than with venom!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/19/obama-approval-rating_n_3302580.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

http://www.gallup.com/poll/113980/Gallup-Daily-Obama-Job-Approval.aspx

http://www.gallup.com/poll/146891/Hillary-Clinton-Favorable-Near-Time-High.aspx

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116584/Presidential-Approval-Ratings-Bill-Clinton.aspx
  2. 20 May '13 00:57
    Originally posted by bill718
    It's been an interesting 2 weeks. Between the Benghazi buzz on Capital Hill and the IRS situation targeting tea party groups, the GOP has been demanding revenge! One would think President Obama, and Hillary Clinton's approval rating would be taking a big hit as a result of all this....WRONG! President Obama's approval rating has been holding steady at about ...[text shortened]... px

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116584/Presidential-Approval-Ratings-Bill-Clinton.aspx
    I am so glad every time you share your gems of wisdom with the Republican party.

Did you have similar advice for Democrats going after Richard Nixon, or Ronald Reagan?
  3. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    20 May '13 01:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I am so glad every time you share your gems of wisdom with the Republican party.

Did you have similar advice for Democrats going after Richard Nixon, or Ronald Reagan?
    Yes I did, in the cast of Nixon, he didn't need the Democrats to destroy him. He did this to himself. Reagan...it seems the Democrats made the same mistakes with him that the GOP is making now. They acted in a childish, angry manner, and went after Reagan on Iran-Contra in a less than professional manner with little proof of wrongdoing, and paid a big political price. Not to worry though...the mood of the country ebbs and flow, in time the mood of the country will take a conservative turn and the GOP will once again be the dominant force. An interesting question though is: Will either party learn from it's past mistakes??
  4. 20 May '13 01:16 / 1 edit
    Yes I did, in the cast of Nixon, he didn't need the Democrats to destroy him. He did this to himself. Reagan...it seems the Democrats made the same mistakes with him that the GOP is making now. They acted in a childish, angry manner, and went after Reagan on Iran-Contra in a less than professional manner with little proof of wrongdoing, and paid a big politi ...[text shortened]... force. An interesting question though is: Will either party learn from it's past mistakes??
    Just an opinion, but Nixon's sins were puny compared to both earlier and later Presidents, including this one.
  5. 20 May '13 01:41
    It's been an interesting 2 weeks. Between the Benghazi buzz on Capital Hill and the IRS situation targeting tea party groups, the GOP has been demanding revenge! One would think President Obama, and Hillary Clinton's approval rating would be taking a big hit as a result of all this....WRONG! President Obama's approval rating has been holding steady at about ...[text shortened]... px

The GOP is the best friend the DNC has.

I could care less about the GOP. To me, they are just another idiot groups of progressives trying to sling mud at the DNC in order to get elected. They have no interest in bringing the wrongdoers to justice nor fixing the system. All you can expect are a steady diet of "hearings" that lead no where.
  6. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    20 May '13 02:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    The GOP is the best friend the DNC has.

I could care less about the GOP. To me, they are just another idiot groups of progressives trying to sling mud at the DNC in order to get elected. They have no interest in bringing the wrongdoers to justice nor fixing the system. All you can expect are a steady diet of "hearings" that lead no where.
    Well done whodey...I'm impressed!
  7. 20 May '13 12:34
    Too bad you can't be honest and say the same about the DNC. In fact, I'm sure you still think that the DNC is morally superior to the GOP, don't you Bill?
  8. 20 May '13 12:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Just an opinion, but Nixon's sins were puny compared to both earlier and later Presidents, including this one.
    Get a grip. Nixon clearly broke the law and could have faced jailtime. You do not like Obama. Fine. He has not broken the laws of th land. He did not commit criminal acts. I live in Wisconsin and detest Gov. Walker but he has not been proven to be a crook. That said, I really do not care for Wisconsin's recall rules. If an elected official breaks laws, throw him or her out and into jail. If you simply disagree with their tactics/opinions, vote them out when the time arrives. The GOP has sold out to the religious right and the ultra conservatives; two crazy groups that neither represents nor reflects the views of most US citizens of voting age.
  9. 20 May '13 12:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Get a grip. Nixon clearly broke the law and could have faced jailtime. You do not like Obama. Fine. He has not broken the laws of th land. he did not commit criminal acts. I live in Wisconsin and detest Walker but he has not been proven to be a crook. That said, I really do not care for Wisconsin's recall rules. If an elected official braks laws, thr ...[text shortened]... the ultra conservatives; two crazy groups that do not represent most US citizens of voting age.
    Actually Obama has broken the laws of the land. For example, he violated the War Powers Act by not consulting Congress about going to war with Libya after so many days of combat.

His rebutal was that it was not really a war. LOL

I could go no, but why? Our leaders are no longer held to the same standard that Nixon was.
  10. 20 May '13 12:58
    Actually Obama has broken the laws of the land. For example, he violated the War Powers Act by not consulting Congress about going to war with Libya after so many days of combat.

I could go no, but why? Our leaders are no longer held to the same standard that Nixon was.
    Exactly. He did not break any laws. You can call it splitting hairs but that's the way the law works. In the case of Nixon, he clearly was a crook by the book.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    20 May '13 13:01
    You're impressed that whodey thinks the GOP is too liberal?
  12. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    20 May '13 13:21
    I'm going to go out on a limb by saying that the fire that has caused so much smoke to follow the Obama adminstrration of late will yet find its way all the way back to McConnell's door. Don't ask me how, but it would seem this Abramoff loving turtle with all the stubborness to derail the Obama admin all the way back since 2009 when he defiantly declared that the GOP will deny the PResident any bi-partisanship will yet have his hand found in the embers of this failed corrupt action to gain power by defeating the democratic process.
  13. 20 May '13 16:47
    Yes I did, in the cast of Nixon, he didn't need the Democrats to destroy him. He did this to himself. Reagan...it seems the Democrats made the same mistakes with him that the GOP is making now. They acted in a childish, angry manner, and went after Reagan on Iran-Contra in a less than professional manner with little proof of wrongdoing, and paid a big politi ...[text shortened]... force. An interesting question though is: Will either party learn from it's past mistakes??
    Reagan defecated on the Constitution and should have been impeached.
  14. 20 May '13 16:50

At least President Obama did not assert the War Powers Act was unconstitutional as did other presidents. Further, keep in mind, that Congress funded the American involvement in the Libyan conflict. Not much of a presidential scandal, much less a breaking of the law.
  15. 20 May '13 17:03
    Who do these scandals not make a dent? Because nobody cares!

He's black. He's liberal. He can do whatever he wants.