Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    29 Aug '17 13:011 edit
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    It'a God's wrath.
    For some reason, when we consider the ethics and the moral values of Texas Republicans, I am reminded of Seneca, the ancient Roman advocate of Stoicism. I say "advocate" because it is hard to concede that he was himself a Stoic, or an example of a Stoic sage. His personal life was just too compromised: immensely wealthy and a close adviser to the Emperor Nero (who inspired Revelations of course). Even his suicide was somewhat botched and disorderly, lacking in all the Socratic qualities of calm and perfect control he was trying to emulate.

    Anyway, the point is you cannot be just a bit of a Stoic, certainly not a bit of a sage. To explain this concept that virtue does not come in degrees - it is either perfect or it is nothing - the Roman Stoics used a drowning analogy. One description is this:

    ... one of the hardest concepts from ancient Stoicism [is] : the idea that virtue does not come in degrees. An analogy used by the early Stoics to illustrate the idea is that one doesn’t need an ocean to drown, it can happen in very shallow waters, meaning that as long as you are under water, you are incapable of breathing air, no matter how close you are to the surface. …

    You see? A little bit of virtue is not much use - it does not matter how close you come to virtue while you still fall short - you either have it or you drown.

    I thought of that as I checked how deep was the floodwater in Houston. Deep enough, would seem to be the answer. And of course I worried mightily for the welfare of its citizens. Wouldn't anyone? I didn't, for example, immediately start calculating how to make money out of it all.
  2. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    29 Aug '17 13:15
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So they are better off sitting on their roof topes awaiting to be rescued by helicopters in strong winds?

    Do tell.
    Is waiting for a helicoptor rescue a bit like waiting to be Raptured?

    Do you think that's what the prophecy was trying to tell us? The just will be rescued by helicoptor?

    "Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air. . ." 1 Thessalonians 4:17

    "And as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives..." (Luke 17:26,27).
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7445
    29 Aug '17 13:44
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So they are better off sitting on their roof topes awaiting to be rescued by helicopters in strong winds?

    Do tell.
    As opposed to sitting on the highway drowning in their cars? Quite possibly.
  4. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    29 Aug '17 17:23
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So are the people of Houston better off not being evacuated?
    Whodey ignores the immense difficulties in evacuating the fourth most populous city in the USA.
    Why does Whodey seem to fantasize that a government official could snap one's fingers,
    in effect, and the evacuation could be almost instantly achieved without any trouble?
  5. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    29 Aug '17 18:10
    If the laissez-faire capitalist Republicans were philosophically consistent, they should
    oppose all federal emergency aid to the 'freeloaders' afflicted by the hurricane.
    They should declare that all relief efforts must be the domain of private enterprise .

    If private enterprise's unleashed and there's enough profit motive, miracles can happen.
    After all, would not many entrepreneurs be eager to transport food and water to afflicted areas
    if they expected to be able to charge many times the normal prices for these goods?
    And if some people cannot afford food and water, it's survival of the richest in action.
  6. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65589
    29 Aug '17 20:48
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    For some reason, when we consider the ethics and the moral values of Texas Republicans, I am reminded of Seneca, the ancient Roman advocate of Stoicism. I say "advocate" because it is hard to concede that he was himself a Stoic, or an example of a Stoic sage. His personal life was just too compromised: immensely wealthy and a close adviser to the Empe ...[text shortened]... t anyone? I didn't, for example, immediately start calculating how to make money out of it all.
    So finnegan is back tracking now, toning it down some, it was 'Texans' now it's 'Texas Republicans'. Tries to be edgy and controversial with his Darwin comment but actually shows his true colours i.e. bitter and twisted, when he realises he's shown a bit too much it's um ah um ah, like Kelly Osbourne and her Mexican comment.
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    30 Aug '17 00:222 edits
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    So finnegan is back tracking now, toning it down some, it was 'Texans' now it's 'Texas Republicans'. Tries to be edgy and controversial with his Darwin comment but actually shows his true colours i.e. bitter and twisted, when he realises he's shown a bit too much it's um ah um ah, like Kelly Osbourne and her Mexican comment.
    My earliest post, which if you wish to be picky mentioned Texas rather than Texans, mainly referred to the two faced hypocrisy of some Republican politicians who are on record as opposing federal aid on principle and that was the reference in the post quoted by you. Obviously those politicians were elected by the sht for brains electorate in that benighted state. Their bigotry is fair game for mocking.

    I am delighted to see that you are peeved. If anyone in Houston is presently logged onto RHP I would be surprised but maybe it's possible. Even then I doubt if they wil be bothered with this forum which has a tiny clientele - which I am delighted to offend.

    I have had more personal contact with the region than you need to be told. Don't like it. No inclination to visit.
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    30 Aug '17 00:46
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    I have had more personal contact with the region than you need to be told. Don't like it. No inclination to visit.
    Let us know if you change yer mind. We'll have a posse waitin' for ya. 😠
  9. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    30 Aug '17 00:521 edit
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Let us know if you change yer mind. We'll have a posse waitin' for ya. 😠
    Very nice of you to offer. I have heard so much about your kindness to strangers.

    I've always wanted a posse of my own.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10118
    30 Aug '17 01:29
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    Is waiting for a helicoptor rescue a bit like waiting to be Raptured?

    Do you think that's what the prophecy was trying to tell us? The just will be rescued by helicoptor?

    "Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air. . ." 1 Thessalonians 4:17

    "And as it was in the ...[text shortened]... he days of the Son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives..." (Luke 17:26,27).
    Yes, the Lord sent down helicopters to rapture the people to heaven.

    You sir are a Bible scholar.
  11. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    30 Aug '17 01:58
    Originally posted by @finnegan to Shavixmir
    For some reason, when we consider the ethics and the moral values of Texas Republicans, I am reminded of Seneca, the ancient Roman advocate of Stoicism. I say "advocate" because it is hard to concede that he was himself a Stoic, or an example of a Stoic sage. His personal life was just too compromised: immensely wealthy and a close advise ...[text shortened]... t anyone? I didn't, for example, immediately start calculating how to make money out of it all.
    http://www.newsweek.com/kenneth-storey-professor-hurricane-harvey-tweets-656655

    "Who is Kenneth Storey? Professor Fired After Tweeting That Hurricane Harvey Was Karma for Texas Republicans"

    "The University of Tampa relieved a professor of his teaching duties Tuesday after he suggested on
    Twitter that the damage done by Hurricane Harvey in Texas was karma for the state's Republican lean last fall.

    Kenneth Storey, who was working at the private Florida university as a visiting assistant
    sociology professor, went viral Sunday after sending the tweets from his personal account.
    "I don't believe in instant karma but this kinda feels like it for Texas," he wrote, according to
    the Tampa Bay Times. "Hopefully this will help them realize the GOP doesn't care about them."
  12. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65589
    30 Aug '17 04:09
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    My earliest post, which if you wish to be picky mentioned Texas rather than Texans, mainly referred to the two faced hypocrisy of some Republican politicians who are on record as opposing federal aid on principle and that was the reference in the post quoted by you. Obviously those politicians were elected by the sht for brains electorate in that benighte ...[text shortened]... sonal contact with the region than you need to be told. Don't like it. No inclination to visit.
    Ha, stick to copy pastes, this is the um ah um ah squirming I was talking about. Oh really? Texas versus Texans? You were refering to the rocks, dirt, trees and critters that physically comprise Texas. No scrub that you were refering to a few politicians whom no doubt have the resources to weather such a storm, no scrub that you were refering to the people who voted for those politicians, no scrub that you were refering to the 30 people that lost their lives of which you know nothing about, their politics, their principles, their religion, their age. Isn't that how you win a Darwin finnegan, isn't that the condition.

    Death.

    And lastly you try to convince yourself the suffering from Texas wont be reading your post.

    It's not offence (as was your intention) you elicit finnegan, it's pity, disappointment, a foul taste, a gob of unwanted snot in ones mouth.

    ...phtooohh
  13. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    30 Aug '17 09:581 edit
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    Ha, stick to copy pastes, this is the um ah um ah squirming I was talking about. Oh really? Texas versus Texans? You were refering to the rocks, dirt, trees and critters that physically comprise Texas. No scrub that you were refering to a few politicians whom no doubt have the resources to weather such a storm, no scrub that you were refering to the people ...[text shortened]... , it's pity, disappointment, a foul taste, a gob of unwanted snot in ones mouth.

    ...phtooohh
    Thanks for you pity,

    The snot in your nose is obviously your own - you do realise that I hope? If it is smelly that sounds like an infection - nothing too mild I hope.

    You are a humourless troll.

    Far from squirming, I could not give a fart.

    This sudden effulgence of humanitarian concern from you and others is touching, but it touches on your hypocrisy and objectionable attitudes. I suspect different views would be heard if the disaster were in New York state, or California. In fact, come to think of it, what was my earlier post about?

    As you say, I have no personal contact with the human casualties of this hurricane and you, similarly, seem to have no human contact with the victims of their political choices. So it is synthetic and unconvincing to approach this in terms of personal sympathy. Human empathy is something to take for granted and does not require insincere, plastic public displays in a place like this. This forum is for politics and debate, not a touching memorial to the victims of -- well, of what? Self pitying fascists waiting for the state to rescue them from their own choices? Could be a long wait with Trump and the Republicans in charge. The money will flow into their own pockets - the people will be lucky to see a fraction of it.

    You see there is no such thing as a natural disaster. Human settlement is largely concentrated on the coastlines and the faultlines of our planet. That is where the natural resources are to sustain civilised life. We are far more vulnerable to events like this than people seem to appreciate. What makes us vulnerable especially is the way we organise our social lives, not the forces of nature, which we were busy researching and trying to understand.

    Trump and the Republicans and the Christian fundies want to stop all that research and promote ignorance and bigotry instead. That is why human disasters are inevitable - human ignorance and bigotry. Nature just does its thing and we need to learn that we are not going to bottle it with technology. We need to adapt - intelligently and with science - or we will die.

    Starting on the coastlines, where the flood will come. Ask whodey about Revelations. You guys have been just too complacent in the belief that the poor will do your dying for you.
  14. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    30 Aug '17 10:132 edits
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Yes, the Lord sent down helicopters to rapture the people to heaven.

    You sir are a Bible scholar.
    You know the drill. The head of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Scott Pruitt, has been asked about something scientific and has said something ludicrous in response.

    Shortly after announcing that he wants climate researchers to “debate” climate deniers on live TV, he gave a characteristically painful interview to a Texas radio show. Just after appearing to endorse peer-reviewed science, he added that “science should not be something that’s just thrown about to try and dictate policy in Washington DC.”


    http://www.iflscience.com/environment/epa-chief-scott-pruitt-science-dictate-policy/

    Do I make this stuff up? I couldn't make this stuff up. I think there may indeed be more sense in the Book of Revelations after all. The bar really is that low.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10118
    30 Aug '17 16:17
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    [quote]You know the drill. The head of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Scott Pruitt, has been asked about something scientific and has said something ludicrous in response.

    Shortly after announcing that he wants climate researchers to “debate” climate deniers on live TV, he gave a characteristically painful interview to[b] a Texas radio show. ...[text shortened]... here may indeed be more sense in the Book of Revelations after all. The bar really is that low.
    And Jesus was a socialist. Yes we know.

    Like I said, you sir are a Biblical scholar
Back to Top