Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 26 Jun '13 08:57 / 2 edits
    Obama Climate Change 2013 Policy Speech Outlines Executive Orders

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama on Tuesday invoked his executive authority to undertake a slew of measures aimed at curbing climate change and preparing America for its costly impacts. . . .

"The question is not whether we need to act," Obama said in a speech at Georgetown University. "The question is whether we will have the courage to act before it's too late." . . .

Obama's strategy in the second-term rests on three pillars: cutting carbon pollution in America, preparing the U.S. for the impacts of climate change, and leading international efforts to cut global emissions. Among the top-billed items are imposing the first carbon limits on existing power plants and requiring all federal projects to be able to withstand the heightened storms and sea level rise associated with climate change.

Obama also made a point to dismiss those who don't acknowledge the science behind man-made global
    warming. . .

My favorite line from the speech:
    "We don't have time for a meeting of the Flat Earth Society," the President quipped.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/obama-climate-change-2013_n_3497151.html
  2. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    26 Jun '13 12:05
    So you'd see yourself as being on the side of science moon? What is the temperture now, and what would it have been if man had never discovered fire.
  3. 26 Jun '13 12:39
    Earth is our body, our organs. Humanity is Earth's consciousness, awareness. Just as we pay the price if we abuse our physical body with poor nutrition, drugs, lack of exercise, etc... we will pay the price if we continue to abuse the Earth, disrupting the network of Earth organs; wetlands that filter fresh water, the atmosphere that blankets our planet protecting us from the dangers of the Sun, and the list goes on... This is all part of Gaia Theory which is based on earth science. Personally, I feel the most dangerous possibility is that we destroy enough of the atmosphere that it no longer protects us from the sun and thus life on earth except, perhaps, for some hearty bacteria, might end due to extremes in temperature.
  4. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    26 Jun '13 12:47
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Earth is our body, our organs. Humanity is Earth's consciousness, awareness.
    I don't see how anyone could argue with scientific facts such as these.
  5. 26 Jun '13 13:05
    Originally posted by moon1969
    [quote][b]Obama Climate Change 2013 Policy Speech Outlines Executive Orders

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama on Tuesday invoked his executive authority to undertake a slew of measures aimed at curbing climate change and preparing America for its costly impacts. . . .

"The question is not whether we need to act," Obama said in a speech at Georg ...[text shortened]... te]
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/obama-climate-change-2013_n_3497151.html[/b]
    "We don't have time for a meeting of the Flat Earth Society," the President quipped.

Now that fits the definition of googlefudge's favorite term "Ad Hominem"!

Scientists can't explain everything about climate change. It really isn't something to alarm people about so soon. CO2 is a plant nutrient. It has it's upside too.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/16/us-climate-slowdown-idUSBRE93F0AJ20130416
  6. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    26 Jun '13 13:13

"The question is not whether we need to act," Obama said in a speech at Georg ...[text shortened]... te]
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/obama-climate-change-2013_n_3497151.html[/b]
    What happens when science says that earth's temperatures have stopped rising for the last sixteen years?
  7. 26 Jun '13 18:11
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    So you'd see yourself as being on the side of science moon?
    Yes, I go with the scientific community over right-wing ideologues.
  8. 26 Jun '13 18:15
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    What happens when science says that earth's temperatures have stopped rising for the last sixteen years?
    Are you really asking about a 16-yr period? Wow.

Again, I go with the massively universal agreement in the scientific community that we have man-made global warming.
  9. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    26 Jun '13 21:32 / 2 edits

"The question is not whether we need to act," Obama said in a speech at Georg te]
    I agree, but many people will never accept this. To many, global warming has nothing to do with the millions of tons of sulpher and other toxins we spew into the air in our industrialized world...nope, it's just the earth warming naturally, and everything will be just dandy if we leave it alone. These uneducated people are living with their heads in the ground.
  10. 27 Jun '13 01:02
    Originally posted by bill718
    I agree, but many people will never accept this. To many, global warming has nothing to do with the millions of tons of sulpher and other toxins we spew into the air in our industrialized world...nope, it's just the earth warming naturally, and everything will be just dandy if we leave it alone. These uneducated people are living with their heads in the ground.
    Yes, head in the sand. Or another metaphor, head up their arse.
  11. 27 Jun '13 03:58
    Since science describes nature and properties of our universe, why is there so much fuss and division between people in the religions group and scientific minded people. If there is a god, which I believe there is, I don't see how there is a conflict as god created all the natural properties science describes.
  12. 27 Jun '13 07:50
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Since science describes nature and properties of our universe, why is there so much fuss and division between people in the religions group and scientific minded people. If there is a god, which I believe there is, I don't see how there is a conflict as god created all the natural properties science describes.
    Why do so many religious and right-wing people blindly reject science?
  13. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    27 Jun '13 07:52
    Yes, I go with the scientific community over right-wing ideologues.
    Then answer the question you just dodged.
  14. 27 Jun '13 17:29
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Are you asking as a hypothetical?

Because science does not actually say that... Or anything remotely resembling that.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-stopped-in-1998-intermediate.htm
  15. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    27 Jun '13 20:05 / 1 edit
    There's no reason that science and right-wing ideology cannot coexist happily again. (After all, it did in Darwin's day.)