Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    06 Jan '13 20:45
    Funny...couldn't find this on CNN.

    Mother shoots home intruder five times in face and neck after he cornered her in attic with her twins, 9
    Unidentified woman fired all six rounds, missing only once
    Suspect Paul Ali Slater was found bleeding heavily in nearby driveway after crashing his car
    By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
    PUBLISHED: 10:50 EST, 6 January 2013 | UPDATED: 10:59 EST, 6 January 2013
    Comments (247)
    Share

    A would-be burglar was looking to cash in, but instead found himself in a world of pain when a Georgia mother who refused to be victimized shot him multiple times in the face and neck.
    The Loganville woman, who was not identified, was in the home with her 9-year-old twins on Friday afternoon when someone began ringing the doorbell.
    Thinking it was just a door-to-door salesperson, she didn't answer.
    Scroll down for video

    Home invasion: The woman was home with her 9-year-old twins in their Loganville home, when the suspect began ringing the doorbell

    Investigation: A sheriff's deputy is pictured outside the home following the shooting on Friday

    More than he bargained for: The unidentified woman reportedly fired all six rounds of the handgun, missing only once
    But after the ringing persisted, the person began prying the door open with a crowbar.
    She quickly retreated to an attic crawlspace with the children, but not before she also picked up her handgun.

    More...
    Is this Britain's most stupid criminal? Burglar wearing electronic tag which records his movements is caught after raiding flat
    Freeze, you're on candid camera! Homeowners away on vacation catch trio of burglars ransacking their home on CCTV
    The burglar, whom police identified as Paul Ali Slater, did a room-by-room search of the home, and when he reached the attic, she was ready.

    Busted: The suspect was identified as Paul Ali Slater - pictured in a previous mugshot - who has a long rap sheet and was recently released from prison
    Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman told WSBTV: 'The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he’s staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver.'
    She reportedly fired all six rounds, missing only once. The other shots hit Slater about the face and neck.
    Sheriff Chapman told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: 'The guy’s face down, crying. The woman told him to stay down or she’d shoot again.'
    Slater did eventually get up and managed to return to his vehicle that was parked outside the home, but his injuries left him unable to drive, and it wasn't long before he crashed into a wooded area.
    He was found by sheriff's deputies, bleeding heavily in a driveway on the block.
    Sheriff Chapman told the paper that he was pleading with his deputies, saying: 'I'm dying. Help me.'
    He was carted off to Gwinnet Medical Center for treatment of the gunshot wounds, and he is expected to survive.
    WSBTV reported that Slater has a long criminal history and was released from prison in August.
    The woman's husband, Donnie Herman, is just glad his wife and kids are safe.
    Mr Herman told WSBTV: 'My wife is a hero. She protected her kids. She did what she was supposed to do as a responsible, prepared gun owner.'



    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2257966/Paul-Ali-Slater-Intruder-shot-times-face-neck-cornering-mother-kids-attic.html#ixzz2HEL9mFMk
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  2. 06 Jan '13 20:49
    How does she feel about teaching in schools?
  3. 06 Jan '13 21:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Funny...couldn't find this on CNN.

    Mother shoots home intruder five times in face and neck after he cornered her in attic with her twins, 9
    Unidentified woman fired all six rounds, missing only once
    Suspect Paul Ali Slater was found bleeding heavily in nearby driveway after crashing his car
    By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
    PUBLISHED: 10:50 EST, 6 January 2 .html#ixzz2HEL9mFMk
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Sometimes having a gun can be useful for self-defence, of course,
    but much depends upon the circumstances (or 'the luck of the draw'.
    I don't know what clear-cut conclusions should be drawn from this incident.

    What likely would have happened if the intruder had an assault rifle?
    Presumably he would have been able to return fire against the woman, who
    was near her children, perhaps killing her or them. If practicable, she should
    have attempted to get her children away from her (out of the 'line of fire'
    before opening fire on an intruder who might also have had a gun.

    My point is that bringing a gun into action tends to escalate the confrontation,
    with unpredictable consequences. This time she was fortunate. But what would
    have happened if her gun had jammed or if, being too nervous, she had fired
    and missed all her shots? I suspect that she would have been worse off then.

    What likely would have happened if she did not have a gun when the intruder
    had broken into her home? Assuming his original aim was only burglary, it seems
    extremely unlikely that he would have escalated to the murder of the woman and
    her children as long as he did not perceive them as a threat to him. Perhaps he
    would have been satisfied to take her money or some possessions and run.
    Perhaps he would have insisted on taking her too and she would have been raped.
    Even in that case, however, some women might prefer to submit to rape than
    to risk putting their children into danger by having a shoot-out at home.
    "You can do whatever you desire to me as long as you don't hurt my children."
  4. 06 Jan '13 21:06
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Sometimes having a gun can be useful for self-defence, but much depends
    upon the circumstances (or 'the luck of the draw'.

    What likely would have happened if the intruder had an assault rifle?
    Presumably he would have been able to return fire against the woman,
    who was near her children, perhaps killing her or them.
    But what if she had an assault rifle? There could have been 5 of them and they would all be dead.
  5. 06 Jan '13 21:07
    He got shot five times in the face and neck and is still expected to survive? Boy, that woman really needed an assault rifle.
  6. 06 Jan '13 21:30
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    He got shot five times in the face and neck and is still expected to survive? Boy, that woman really needed an assault rifle.
    What is he, the Terminator?

    Let me guess, he will be back!!
  7. 06 Jan '13 21:40
    Originally posted by whodey
    But what if she had an assault rifle? There could have been 5 of them and they would all be dead.
    What if her assault rifle had jammed? I have heard some American soldiers
    complain that the M16 rifle tends to jam, which can be embarrassing in combat.

    This incident seems like close to a 'best possible case' for people who advocate
    keeping a gun for self-defence at home. Her gun saved this woman from being
    robbed or perhaps raped. But what if one of her children had found the gun
    and begun to play with it, resulting in a fatal accident? As far as I know, general
    statistics don't show that the American households with guns are safer than the
    American households without guns.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    06 Jan '13 21:44
    If only that woman had a semi auto with 30 round magazines then she would be really safe
  9. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    06 Jan '13 21:49
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    What if her assault rifle had jammed? I have heard some American soldiers
    complain that the M16 rifle tends to jam, which can be embarrassing in combat.

    This incident seems like close to a 'best possible case' for people who advocate
    keeping a gun for self-defence at home. Her gun saved this woman from being
    robbed or perhaps raped. But what if on ...[text shortened]... that the American households with guns are safer than the
    American households without guns.
    What if the principal in Newtown would have been add? What if there were an armed security guard inside that school, or Columbine? What if Virginia Tech had allowed its professors and students to be armed?

    If you take care of M-16, it'll take care of you. The problems I experienced were with due primers. Never had a problem with the weapon.
  10. 06 Jan '13 21:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    If only that woman had a semi auto with 30 round magazines then she would be really safe
    Having a gun, however powerful, at home would not insure anyone's safety.
    In many cases, a gun owner could be taken by surprise before having any
    opportunity to draw one's gun.
  11. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    06 Jan '13 21:55
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Having a gun, however powerful, at home would not insure anyone's safety.
    In many cases, a gun owner could be taken by surprise before having any
    opportunity to draw one's gun.
    That's why you keep it under your pillow.
  12. 06 Jan '13 22:05
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    What if the principal in Newtown would have been add? What if there were an armed security guard inside that school, or Columbine? What if Virginia Tech had allowed its professors and students to be armed?

    If you take care of M-16, it'll take care of you. The problems I experienced were with due primers. Never had a problem with the weapon.
    In fact, there was an armed sheriff's deputy, Neil Gardner, at Columbine
    when Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed twelve students and one teacher.
    Neil Gardner attempted (unsuccessfully) to shoot Eric Harris. It remains in
    dispute about to what extent Neil Gardner might have saved any lives.
  13. 06 Jan '13 22:25
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    That's why you keep it under your pillow.
    I regard it as extremely impracticable to attempt to go through life while always
    keeping a gun within arm's reach. Apart from the inconvenience (would you enjoy
    going out on a date with a woman who's "packin' heat" underneath her dress?),
    there's the risk of an accidental discharge of the gun caused by oneself or by
    an innocent bystander, perhaps a child. There's also the risk of having the gun
    taken away by someone with bad intentions. It's absurd to act as though a
    modern society can be transformed into the Hollywood 'Wild West', with every
    adult (even a woman teaching school) armed to the teeth and quick on the draw.
  14. Standard member vivify
    rain
    07 Jan '13 02:13 / 1 edit
    No one's saying guns aren't useful. If most instances of guns being used were for self-defense, no one would, not myself, not anyone, would advocate for the banning of guns. Unfortunately, the exact opposite is true. Most guns are used mostly for murder.
  15. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    07 Jan '13 02:15
    Originally posted by vivify
    No one's saying guns aren't useful. If most instances of guns being used were for self-defense, no one would, not myself, not anyone, would advocate for the banning of guns. Unfortunately, the exact opposite is true. Most guns are used mostly for murder.
    Most guns are used mostly for murder?

    I think your math's a bit off.