Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    02 May '18 02:37
    A little perspective for those lost in the weeds....

YouTube
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 May '18 04:18
    I've seen this. I don't completely agree or disagree with him.

It's true that films are a product of their times; what we find abhorrent today was inoffensive at one time. But it's good to talk about them and view them through modern-day eyes. It shows us not only how far we've come, but reminds us what we came from.

I do agree that there's a degree of self-righteousness evident in critics of retro-pop culture, who fail to keep in mind the times. Merely being mindful of the era doesn't mean you agree one bit with what is portrayed in media from times gone by.
  3. Stargazing
    Moves
    02 May '18 04:22
    Originally posted by @vivify
    I don't completely agree or disagree with him.
    What do you disagree with about what he said?
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 May '18 04:38
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    What do you disagree with about what he said?
    I don't actually disagree with on anything, but I have some reservations about what he said at the start.

At the beginning, he kind of implies that we shouldn't criticize "old" movies for "being old".

But, there are some films I think shouldn't be let off the hook; the original (black and white) "White Christmas", for example, which is considered a "classic" film. Not only did it have offensive stereotypes of blacks (portrayals which were also offensive at the time), but also an extended blackface musical number, which also was offensive to blacks at the time. The much more well-known technicolor version removed these elements, but still.

I think some scenes shouldn't merely get a pass because they were old. Not all, but there's quite a number of scenes from old films I think we should never just shrug off.

I don't know. I ultimately agree with Maher, I guess.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 May '18 13:19
    I think a major point was not that we once tolerated what is offensive today, but that we think stuff is okay now that, in 25 years, will make us cringe.

"The arc of history is long, but it bends away from Hammer pants."

The point is that it does eventually bend away. So why are so many people on the right complaining that it is bending away from those things that ARE ridiculous and cringe-worthy? It is those people who are fighting the good direction we are taking, or will eventually take, away from the crap that someday will make us think "What were they thinking?" What ARE we thinking? That is the question we should be asking NOW.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 May '18 14:17
    More words of wisdom from Maher?

YouTube
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    04 May '18 01:02
    Originally posted by @whodey
    More words of wisdom from Maher?

[youtube]XCUpgZaClZA[/youtube]
    That's pretty damning stuff. Would have been better though to have more clips of islam followers saying the same thing as just that one group.