1. Joined
    29 Nov '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 08:19
    I know that engines are prohibited, but what external resources are considered legal for choosing moves?

Chess books?
    Chess databases like chessbase (without the engine)?
    Online chess databases?
  2. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 08:46
    Originally posted by chesshazard
    I know that engines are prohibited, but what external resources are considered legal for choosing moves?

Chess books?
    Chess databases like chessbase (without the engine)?
    Online chess databases?
    All of the above.

skeeter
  3. In your face
    Moves
    01 Dec '06 22:35
    Beware though, the use of end game databases is forbidden!!!!!!
    You may only use openings databases.
  4. Standard member1973mackem
    Keep The Faith
    Sunderland
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 14:38
    what would be the point of using data bases?
    If you want to win like that, then just set your computer level 1 against itself level 10 then decide you are the level 10 player, what satisfaction you must get when you win!!!!!!!!
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 18:231 edit
    Originally posted by 1973mackem
    what would be the point of using data bases?
    If you want to win like that, then just set your computer level 1 against itself level 10 then decide you are the level 10 player, what satisfaction you must get when you win!!!!!!!!
    Arghh - stand by for the onslaught mate..
  6. Standard member1973mackem
    Keep The Faith
    Sunderland
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 23:08
    Fair enough read books or play computers to learn chess, but not actually during a game playing person to person.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 23:312 edits
    Fair enough read books or play computers to learn chess, but not actually during a game playing person to person.
    I don't meself but it seems most people here do, or at least most think it's a good idea.
    That's databases I'm on about btw.

Then, of course, if you use a database on a computer, what would stop you from just having a quick look to see what the 'recommended' engine move was while you were there? Seems to be an awful lot left to trust don't you think?

Of course, as I'm sure someone will point out, I don't know nuffink about it....HAHA
  8. The sky
    Moves
    03 Dec '06 00:54
    It's a great way to learn openings, and why shouldn't I learn while playing person to person? If you personally choose not to use them because you think it's more fun to play without them, that's fine. And you'll probably be out of book faster that way, so your opponent won't be able to use them for long either in your games. And of course you could specifically ask for opponents who don't use databases; some state that in their profile.

And don't listen to Dr Strangelove, he knows nuffink. 😉
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Dec '06 01:02
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I don't meself but it seems most people here do, or at least most think it's a good idea.
    That's databases I'm on about btw.

Then, of course, if you use a database on a computer, what would stop you from just having a quick look to see what the 'recommended' engine move was while you were there? Seems to be an awful lot left to trust don't you ...[text shortened]...

Of course, as I'm sure someone will point out, I don't know nuffink about it....HAHA
    I keep the engine turned off when using Data in Fritz... I only turn it on AFTER a game to see what is thought. Many people have engines on their computer... I'm sure it's just as tempting to use one regardless of if you use the program to play or search book.

I personally don't understand people who DO use engines for their games. I've played unrated engine games and it is boring as heck. Plug the next move... let the engine think... make the move. Why engine (l)users enjoy a great rating at the cost of thinking is beyond my reasoning.

P-
  10. Joined
    25 Nov '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 21:43
    So to confirm...If I use Fritz during my game I should be banned.

But after the game is over, win or lose, and then I use Fritz to show me the blunders/brilliancies I missed, then that use of Fritz is OK. I am right?
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 22:22
    Originally posted by javaguy
    So to confirm...If I use Fritz during my game I should be banned.

But after the game is over, win or lose, and then I use Fritz to show me the blunders/brilliancies I missed, then that use of Fritz is OK. I am right?
    Yes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree