addvh.exe

SubscriberRhymester
Help 16 Jun '04 20:56
  1. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 20:56
    My Zone Alarm tells me that a program called addvh.exe wants access to the internet. I can't find any reference on their database or Google.. anyone know what this is?

Andrew
  2. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 21:49
    I have just done a search of my c: drive and I do not have that file on my PC. Have you done a search for it?

I found a couple of references to it online, it appears to be a command used by Perl scripts and some Oracle applications to add a virtual host.

I would say if in doubt don't let it through your firewall.
  3. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 21:55
    Originally posted by Exy
    I have just done a search of my c: drive and I do not have that file on my PC. Have you done a search for it?

I found a couple of references to it online, it appears to be a command used by Perl scripts and some Oracle applications to [b]add
    a virtual host.

I would say if in doubt don't let it through your firewall.[/b]
    Searched for it on my computer and it says it's in C://Windows
  4. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 21:581 edit
    What version of Windows are you running and have you installed any new applications recently that may have copied this file onto your hard drive?
  5. Standard membereyeqpc
    Robbo
    a Brave new world
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 23:05
    Originally posted by Rhymester
    My Zone Alarm tells me that a program called addvh.exe wants access to the internet. I can't find any reference on their database or Google.. anyone know what this is?

Andrew
    It sounds like it could be some spy/ad software that has found its way onto your computer. Download either Spybot-Search and destroy or Lavasofts Adaware 6, they are both free and will get rid of any spy software, if these don't work then goto Start/Run and typ msconfig.exe and have a look at what is starting up on your computer. Try disabling it in here and if you computer suffers no ill effects then job done.
  6. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 08:21
    Originally posted by Exy
    What version of Windows are you running and have you installed any new applications recently that may have copied this file onto your hard drive?
    Windows 98. Last thing I installed was software for an Epson printer and before that Zone Alarm.
  7. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 08:23
    Originally posted by eyeqpc
    goto Start/Run and typ msconfig.exe and have a look at what is starting up on your computer. Try disabling it in here and if you computer suffers no ill effects then job done.
    I've disabled it.... let's see what happens. Can I delete the exe file itself then?

Andrew
  8. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 08:36
    Originally posted by Rhymester
    I've disabled it.... let's see what happens. Can I delete the exe file itself then?

Andrew
    I can't see any reason why you can't delete it. You could just rename it to addvh.old just in case it turns out you need it. But I'm sure Eyeqpc is correct, running something like Adaware would probably delete it anyway.
  9. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 12:25
    Starnge thing... unclicked it in the start up list but when I restarted it came back to haunt me - persistent little beggar!
  10. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 13:37
    I know what you mean ... I have this Trojan lurking in my system for months already .. everytime I think I destroyed it, it pops-up again ...
  11. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 13:39
    Originally posted by NicolaiS
    I know what you mean ... I have this Trojan lurking in my system for months already .. everytime I think I destroyed it, it pops-up again ...
    This will remove most W32 Viruses and Trojans.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

12. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    18 Jun '04 07:37
    Originally posted by Exy
    [b]This will remove most W32 Viruses and Trojans.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

[/b]
    Oh WOW ... thank you so much ... I will post the results .... 😏
  13. Joined
    28 Jun '01
    Moves
    18 Jun '04 13:10
    Try downloading Spybot Search & Destroy. That will clean up a lot of garbage and spyware you might have on your computer. Worked great for me and it's FREE!🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree