1. New York City
    Moves
    03 Feb '04 19:15
    Hi all,

For the past week or two (beginning, perhaps, at the time the server was changed) the analyze board (by the way, shouldn't that be analysis board?) has been behaving badly - slow to draw itself, failing to load piece images correctly, and generally being lazy and unresponsive. Has this been happening to any of the rest of you? It seems better on my machine at home, but here on my machine at work (where I am at this very moment supposed to be writing code instead of playing chess) it is hardly working at all, though other websites are behaving just fine. Any thoughts?

-Malcolm
  2. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    03 Feb '04 21:141 edit
    today the images in the alaylse board (or board analysis) were not loaded twice or - to be more correct - they disapeared when changing the move in the move list.
    I had this twice, but meanwhile it woks very well again!
    th

edit: the little infoboxes in MyGames seem to have little problems as well...
  3. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    04 Feb '04 17:15
    I click on "analyse baord", the window opens and when it finished loading and I even wait a bit and then log off from the internet and try to contunue my analysis it does not work anymore (the pieces disappear and become squares with Xs ...)
    any idea? any help? any... anything
    th
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '04 21:15
    Originally posted by thire
    I click on "analyse baord", the window opens and when it finished loading and I even wait a bit and then log off from the internet and try to contunue my analysis it does not work anymore (the pieces disappear and become squares with Xs ...)
    any idea? any help? any... anything
    th
    Could be redundant page cookies? The very first thing all RHP'ers should have done when the new server/host was up was to delete all their RHP cookies and temp.inet files and start again. And as a habit it should be done every couple of weeks as Russ is always writing new code and besides, its just good house keeping.

skeeter
  5. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    05 Feb '04 15:21
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Could be redundant page cookies? ...
    skeeter
    so there are cookies on the server as well? 🙄
    or do I just have to delete all my RHP-cookies to get everything running again?
    th
  6. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Feb '04 20:33
    Originally posted by thire
    so there are cookies on the server as well? 🙄
    or do I just have to delete all my RHP-cookies to get everything running again?
    th
    It's my understanding that the site server sets page and game cookies so yes, just delete those and when you re-visit a page/game/forum the server will update them. Loading will be a bit slow at first but after the initial refresh, things will really phang.

skeeter
  7. London
    Moves
    05 Feb '04 22:21
    Originally posted by skeeter
    It's my understanding that the site server sets page and game cookies so yes, just delete those and when you re-visit a page/game/forum the server will update them. Loading will be a bit slow at first but after the initial refresh, things will really phang.

skeeter
    Not sure that it's a matter of cookies as such, so much as other cached objects. If a Javascript object changed its content in an upgrade, but not its name, maybe that would cause strange things to happen, such as looking for graphic resources in the wrong place (usual cause of pictures being replaced by the little red x in a rectangle.)
  8. New York City
    Moves
    12 Feb '04 15:32
    Yes, it's strange - on the W2000 machine at my office, which works with blazing speed for other sites, the analyze board hangs up, fails to redraw, forgets pieces, and moves very slowly. On my XP machine at home, it works just fine.

MP
  9. Standard membereyeqpc
    Robbo
    a Brave new world
    Moves
    12 Feb '04 15:40
    I know this is no help, I use this a lot and have not had any problems, slowdowns or anything to report

-Robbo
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 Feb '04 15:44
    I have seen this before.

I'm not sure why a browser should start struggling with that page, nothing too laborious is going on. It is a glitch in the browser - I just don't know what triggers it. Luckily it appears to be rare.

Does the machine that is behaving badly ever get rebooted? Do you have another browser installed with which to try the same page? (I have only seen this on IE before.) Have you tried clearing down temporary internet files from the browser?

-Russ
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 Feb '04 15:472 edits
    Originally posted by RolandYoung
    Not sure that it's a matter of cookies as such, so much as other cached objects. If a Javascript object changed its content in an upgrade, but not its name, maybe that would cause strange things to happen, such as looking for graphic r ...[text shortened]... se of pictures being replaced by the little red x in a rectangle.)
    Rest assured, anytime my images, JS libraries or CSS change, I use a new filename. All of the these are cached, and to not change their names, as you say, would cause problems.

-Russ
  12. Joined
    28 Apr '03
    Moves
    12 Feb '04 16:13
    I noticed a problem when I installed my new Pop-up Blocker. I find that occasionally, I have to re-affirm that I want to allow popups from this site, or the blocker tries to shut it down.

- B Rock
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 Feb '04 16:30
    I don't know which one you are using, but it sounds faulty.

Go get that google tool bar...

-Russ
  14. New York City
    Moves
    15 Feb '04 20:14
    Hi Russ,

I have tried clearing the browser cache, and the machine gets rebooted once every day or two. It's very strange - it used to work fine... I expect the problem has to do with that particular machine somehow, but I can't think of what it might be. I'll try it with a different browser - Ive been using IE, but maybe it will work better with Netscape.

Malcolm
  15. Joined
    08 Mar '03
    Moves
    15 Feb '04 20:431 edit
    I've only noticed this problem at work on NT/IE (very slow updating).
    Never had any problems at home running BSD/Mozilla though.
    IE issue?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree