1. Standard memberDanger Mouse
    Super Hero!
    Moves
    22 Oct '04 17:08
    Hello Mac users,
    I really need your help. I have a G4 Superdrive Powerbook and an Airport Express. I want to get wireless broadband so I can get to my chess games etc even quicker! The problem is that I am not sure of exactly what equipment I need. I have ordered BT Broadband which comes with a Voyager 205 modem/router. I believe this has an ethernet port and therefore I should be able to connect the modem straight into the airport express and operate wirelessly. Is that correct or am I being really naive and there is lots more that I need to consider?

Please help.

DM.
  2. Standard membereyeqpc
    Robbo
    a Brave new world
    Moves
    22 Oct '04 17:10
    I'm not a mac user but as far as i can gather this is all you need. The software you will receive with the Voyager 205 will have instructions to install this and it should automatically configure the modem for BT broadband
  3. Standard memberDanger Mouse
    Super Hero!
    Moves
    22 Oct '04 17:52
    I was actually hoping not to put any of the modem software onto the computer. I just wanted to stream the data to and from the Airport Express so the modem would not actually be connected to the laptop at all. Is this going to happen or am I dreaming...
  4. Joined
    06 Aug '03
    Moves
    22 Oct '04 19:471 edit
    Buy any wireless router, i recomend a d-link one (very good stuff). There is absolutely no need for you to pollute your shiney powerbook with any other software...

EDIT: ok sorry just reread your post...not sure how a modem and a airport interact but you are right in thinking there is no reason to put any more software on ya mac (we have a wirelss network with a d-link router that provides broadband for this PC and our power book) Go to the apple site and hunt about all the info you need should be there...
  5. Stonehill City ;)
    Moves
    24 Oct '04 15:47
    Originally posted by Simonm
    [b]Buy any wireless router, i recomend a d-link one (very good stuff). There is absolutely no need for you to pollute your shiney powerbook with any other software...
    Airport Express is a router, so it should be possible to just connect the router to the ethernetport of the modem. You have to configure the router for the way to connect to the modem. This should be either normal Ethernet with DHCP oder PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) with a Login and PW.... both should be supported by Airport Express...
  6. Standard memberDanger Mouse
    Super Hero!
    Moves
    05 Nov '04 00:07
    Thank you everyone that responded.
    Well the Voyager 205 modem that came free with BT broadband works perfectly with the airport express. It just plugged in and everything worked great. I didn't even have to load any software on to the nice shiny powerbook.

So now I have wireless broadband so I can even play chess on RHP whilst in the garden. Shame it's now Autumn and it's cold outside!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree