1. Wellington, NZ
    Moves
    15 Feb '04 01:42
    dave999 had an open invite available, which I accepted. I moved within ten minutes and he sent me a message saying Its your first move for #### sake. Hurry up or I'll quit.

I was rather offended. If RHP allows people to talk as freely as this I might find another site to play chess on.
  2. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    15 Feb '04 01:591 edit
    Hi DreamlaX,

Let's see what options we have:
    a) Disable the message feature for everybody.
    b) Having a couple of people moderating personal game-chat before any move is being executed
    c) Delete that game (MyGames page) within the first three half moves on your own.
    d) Ignore your opponent and play on
    e) Call your opponent whatever you want and play on
    f) Never play at RHP again and go to another site

Personally, I like the message feature and I don't think that b) is practicable. So I would go for c, d or e in your case.
    f) is also possible but you would miss a great community on this site and personally I don't like the idea that one stupid person tells me what web site I can use to play online chess.

Hope that helps,

Gotti
  3. Wellington, NZ
    Moves
    15 Feb '04 02:07
    Or, the new option:

g) Remove users that are unnecessarily offensive.

I like playing here, there are a lot of nice people, but it really ruined my experience to come across dave999. Sure, he just wanted a fast paced game, but why not just get software that does that? I thought this was more a correspondence type site anyway...

Anywho, sorry to sound like a bit of an idiot myself.
  4. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    15 Feb '04 02:21
    Originally posted by DreamlaX
    Or, the new option:

g) Remove users that are unnecessarily offensive.

I like playing here, there are a lot of nice people, but it really ruined my experience to come across dave999. Sure, he just wanted a fast paced game, but why not just get software that does that? I thought this was more a correspondence type site anyway...

Anywho, sorry to sound like a bit of an idiot myself.
    Hi DreamlaX,

I think that option exists but it's available to the site admin, only ;-)
    Seriously, I don't like those dave999's either but it's fairly easy on the Web to ignore them. Other people may of course think different. That's why you can report offensive discussion group threads to moderators who will then take action. There is no such feature to report offensive game-chat. Anyway it's mentioned here and I'm sure this guy is on Russ' blacklist, now.

Enjoy your games,

Gotti
  5. Moving on...
    Moves
    15 Feb '04 02:26
    hello...

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with a particular player. the best thing you can do is ignore it. 99.9% of the people on rhp are really cool nice friendly folk. don't worry about it and forget it is my advice.

joe 😲)
  6. Wellington, NZ
    Moves
    15 Feb '04 03:111 edit
    Yeah, RHP is awesome. I'd hate to lose my ability to play at this site. Ah well, every village has an idiot; cough dave999 cough.

Manners are free aren't they? I don't have to be a subscriber to have manners? Hehe, I'm kidding. But you're right, I don't have to play with people like that.
  7. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    15 Feb '04 08:33
    just keep playing

russ & co seem pretty damn sensible.

if he really is an @$&#0\3 then he will be kicked eventually, til then we all have the benefit of the doubt and we can play him too

who knows - it might become one of your best games!
  8. Wellington, NZ
    Moves
    15 Feb '04 10:02
    He already quit because I took longer than 10 minutes to make a move. Pawn to d4, messages me, 10 minutes later, pawn to d5, then he quit.
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Feb '04 11:05
    All parties have now been contacted.

-Russ
  10. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    15 Feb '04 22:03
    I have recently been on the receiving end as well - albeit not quite as bad.
    One of the earlier posts suggests turning the message facility off.
    May I suggest something - I play internet backgammon and there is an option to turn messages off ie if I turn messages off - if my opponent tries to send a message he/she automatically get a response saying that the other player has turned messaging off. Therefore there is no point sending a message to that particular opponent as he/she won't get it.
    This would leave messaging for for people who want to chat during a game but gives you the option of not having to read unpleasant text.
    However, I'm not sure how much code would be needed to program this for individual games as opposed to all games
  11. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    16 Feb '04 00:15

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Wellington, NZ
    Moves
    16 Feb '04 03:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    16 Feb '04 08:27

Do you think he's doing it simply because he doesn't think he can be banned?
    I think he's doing it because he was an only child, his parents missed all his school plays, and the au pair who broke his vaginity had a nasty social disease, but that's just my theory... 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree