Automated draw-by-repetition detection

Automated draw-by-repetition detection

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intensity works

Vancouver.ca

Moves
10 Nov 21

I'm in an endgame where we've been repeating the same 3 positions for the last 30 moves. I offered a draw a long time ago. I asked the other player if they were going for some obscure record (like longest game on rhp?) -- no response.
Being a bit nerdy, I can keep up my end as long as they do.
But I'm curious that rhp itself doesn't detect draw by repetition. For anyone with morbid curiosity, the game is:
Game 14588468. For those without: I've got a bishop+2 pawns vs a rook, but there's no hope of advancement.
Our ratings are within 30 pts of one another.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
10 Nov 21
1 edit

@mischas said
I'm in an endgame where we've been repeating the same 3 positions for the last 30 moves. I offered a draw a long time ago. I asked the other player if they were going for some obscure record (like longest game on rhp?) -- no response.
Being a bit nerdy, I can keep up my end as long as they do.
But I'm curious that rhp itself doesn't detect draw by repetition. For anyone wit ...[text shortened]... pawns vs a rook, but there's no hope of advancement.
Our ratings are within 30 pts of one another.
You can "claim draw". No need for the opponent to agree. if you are in a position that has repeated three times it will be effected. If not the claim will just go into void.

This game is of course not yours, so no problem.

Moves
10 Nov 21

Triple repetition is not an automatic draw OTB, either. It must be claimed. OTB, since 2014, quintuple repetition is a forced draw, as is 75 moves without capture or pawn moves. I do not know whether either rule applies to correspondence. At any rate, the 5-rep rule would be annoying to check by computer, but the 75-move one should be doable.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
10 Nov 21
1 edit

@shallow-blue said
Triple repetition is not an automatic draw OTB, either. It must be claimed. OTB, since 2014, quintuple repetition is a forced draw, as is 75 moves without capture or pawn moves. I do not know whether either rule applies to correspondence. At any rate, the 5-rep rule would be annoying to check by computer, but the 75-move one should be doable.
quintuple detection shouldn't be much of a problem if the database would carry the FEN...you could just compare easily. (The FEN-data for each move could be deleted after finishing the game)

mlb62

Moves
10 Nov 21

when it's your move, click on "claim draw" button.