1. Zeist, Holland
    Moves
    12 Jan '04 14:20
    I wanted to suggest an automatic reload feature. I sometimes have a RHP window running in the background while doing other stuff. It would be great if the 'My Games' page is automatically updated, so I won't have to click '0 games waiting' every time to check if there are any games waiting.

Gr, Piderman

P.S. @Russ: Great work putting 'feedback' back online :-)
  2. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    13 Jan '04 13:56
    Originally posted by piderman
    I wanted to suggest an automatic reload feature. I sometimes have a RHP window running in the background while doing other stuff. It would be great if the 'My Games' page is automatically updated, so I won't have to click '0 games waiting' every time to check if there are any games waiting.

Gr, Piderman

P.S. @Russ: Great work putting 'feedback' back online :-)
    this is an old wish and unfortunately it will never be reality 🙁 it causes too much server traffic. search older postings from Russ.
    but perhaps there will be - one day - a tool in the system tray that checks for waiting games (see developpers forum)
    th
  3. Joined
    23 Feb '03
    Moves
    13 Jan '04 14:02
    Originally posted by thire
    [b]this is an old wish and unfortunately it will never be reality 🙁 it causes too much server traffic. search older postings from Russ.
    Maybe with this super fast new machine that Russ & Chirs are getting it might just happen......
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Jan '04 19:43
    Well, I have something that may be good for everyone.

I have experimented with RSS feeds. With these, all you need to do is install an RSS reader of your choice (there are many), and then it periodically checks the site - and will pop something up when a game is waiting.

I have been using it on my dev box - and it works well - but there is no chance that I will release it until our database is moving a little faster. If I did go this route, it would make all agents/probes redundant over night, so I will probably shelve my RHP Agent code before it is even made public, even though it is 90% complete and functional.

-Russ
  5. Joined
    23 Feb '03
    Moves
    14 Jan '04 00:14
    Originally posted by Russ
    Well, I have something that may be good for everyone.

I have experimented with RSS feeds. With these, all you need to do is install an RSS reader of your choice (there are many), and then it periodically checks the site - and will pop something up when a game is waiting.

I have been using it on my dev box - and it works well - but there is no chance that ...[text shortened]... t code before it is even made public, even though it is 90% complete and functional.

-Russ
    Being totally ignorant of any tech stuff, so i apologise if this is a really dumb question, but this RSS feed thing seems not that different to getting an email to say someone has moved. Couldn`t you sneak a refresh button on the folded down taskbar thing. Sorry minimized window.
  6. Joined
    27 Aug '02
    Moves
    14 Jan '04 05:52
    Originally posted by Paulie
    Couldn`t you sneak a refresh button on the folded down taskbar thing. Sorry minimized window.
    I believe that is what he's talking about, except it will not have a refresh button but it most likely will do the refreshing automatically, like perhaps pop up the "My Games" page or maybe even the first reply to one of your games. Now, there are down sides to this, say for instants you are at work and have this little pop-up on and you walk away for a while and all of a sudden someone moves. Up pops the RHP screen and your boss casually walks by. What I have found to be more functional as a user is the chess toolbar that operates in the browser. Maybe a light that flashes on and off and an icon of a burning pawn when games are ready and with quick links to all over the site. Browser toolbars work great.
    -Bob
  7. Joined
    23 Feb '03
    Moves
    14 Jan '04 08:48
    I was thinking on the same lines about "the boss" maybe a little icon by the clock on the task bar that appears for a second or two.
  8. Zeist, Holland
    Moves
    14 Jan '04 09:251 edit
    What I was thinking about was just a simple META-tag that causes the page to reload every five minutes or so. I often work at my university, and they use a UNIX system, so there is no way I can install such a RSS thingie.
  9. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    14 Jan '04 12:123 edits
    Originally posted by piderman
    ... and they use a UNIX system, so there is no way I can install such a RSS thingie.
    I think you can use rss feeds for UNIX as well! 🙂
    th

PS about the reload button: I don't know much about news readers, but this is exactly the difference between pushing and pulling web-contents.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree