1. Joined
    24 Dec '03
    Moves
    27 Mar '04 13:57
    Hi,

I just found out that I lost both of my second round games. I didn't even know the second round started! How I was supposed to know the games started? I did get emails for moves in my first round games but no notification for these games. Please help! What did I do wrong?

Thanks,
    John
  2. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    27 Mar '04 14:161 edit
    Join the club, John. I have exactly the same complaint. But unfortunately, still not a whisper from RHP admin. 😠
  3. Joined
    24 Dec '03
    Moves
    27 Mar '04 14:20
    Thanks for the response. How and when did you notify the RHP Admin about this? Something should be done. Also, read my other (related) post.
  4. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    27 Mar '04 14:301 edit
    I've sent a regular email, filled in the site feedback form, sent a PM to Russ, and have posted messages on two forums. I sent the first message about 18 hours ago. During this time, Russ has responded to various other topics. Like you, I am new here and I don't know what else to do. Just wait and hope, I guess.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    27 Mar '04 17:281 edit
    Timing out is part of the game, man. Check the site more frequently.
  6. Joined
    30 Jan '04
    Moves
    27 Mar '04 17:31
    Hey, sorry for timing you out. I checked your profile before timing you out and saw that you hadn't moved since February, so I figured you were a "downer." If we can somehow reinstate the games, I'd be more than happy to play it out.
  7. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    27 Mar '04 17:45
    Originally posted by dscp
    Timing out is part of the game, man. Check the site more frequently.
    Well of course it is. I am a great supporter of time controls, but that is not the issue here. In this case no moves had even been made yet. The new games were created without any notification or forewarning. I usually check the site multiple times a day, and manage my time to precision. I was on an overnight trip when the games were created, and had been timed out before I could check on the board the following day. Had I known before I went on the trip, or when I checked my email during the trip I could have arranged to log on somewhere and play my moves. but the was no announcement and NO NOTIFICATION.

What makes it even more frustrating is that I had been complaining for some time to get the 2nd round started. It was way, way, way late. And then, with a 1 day timeout and no timebank, it starts without any warning whatsoever. This is just pure Mickey Mouse.
  8. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    27 Mar '04 18:321 edit
    I personally would never join a 1 day timeout tournament anyway. Because it means that you have to be online at least once every day for the rest of your life or at least for the lifetime of that Tournament. So there is nothing to complain about!

Gotti
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    27 Mar '04 19:451 edit
    OK guys. I'm on this now.

I hadn't answered earlier, as sometimes I need a bit of time to look into people's issues - and at the weekends I have to give a bit of time to the other things in my life. (I will often deal with more trivial matters when I'm sat down at my machine for five minutes though, which is why you have seen I have been active today.)

-Russ
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    27 Mar '04 20:44
    I have read everything everyone has said about this (from the multiple forum threads, feedback and PM) – and it is very unfortunate. First off, let me get the bad news out of the way, I can’t reverse these timeouts – they were claimed in accordance with the rules. Sorry about that. The one day tournaments are really intended for people who play here each and every day without fail. I know this is a lot to ask, but that is the reason I draw attention to the fact and warn people of the commitment you are making when entering 1 dayers.

The emails. Yes an email is sent went tournaments start. But they are not sent as new rounds begin. This is a failing of the site, but it was an assumption that you would receive one. It is not a bug, I never coded it so they would be sent, and the emails sent on tournament start were only added recently (interestingly, these emails had never even been requested to the best of my knowledge – but I was doing an update to the email code and just made the change as I thought some might find it beneficial.)

So, I can’t really tell you anything that you don’t already know, or that will make you feel any better apart from this.

I will add emails notifications when new tournament rounds start on the next site update. Also, I don’t expect any 1 day timeout tournaments will ever be created from now on without a time bank element to them. (If you see otherwise, please contact me) Remember, the timebank is a relatively new feature, and we were letting it mature a little before introducing it everywhere. We are now happy it functions correctly, and will be used appropriately from now on.

So again, sorry, but this should not happen again for all recently created tournaments.

-Russ
  11. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    27 Mar '04 21:471 edit
    Thanks for your response, Russ.

"Unfortunate" doesn't quite describe it, but...

C'est la vie and back to the chess. 😕
  12. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    28 Mar '04 07:59

what about adding just afew days of timebank to all the old pre timebank tourneys?

you'd have to be an idiot not to want it.
  13. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    28 Mar '04 10:44
    Originally posted by flexmore

what about adding just afew days of timebank to all the old pre timebank tourneys?

you'd have to be an idiot not to want it.
    uhhhhh ...... well alright gimme some days of timebank then 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree