1. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 May '06 07:411 edit
    On pushing a pawn to the 8th rank, in chess a pawn is supposed to get the option to promote to Queen (or a rook, bishop, etc). Using Firefox 1.5 on XP and on Linux, i don't get this. What is wrong?

I even tried using IE6 on XP and still no option to promote to Queen. I tried setting the board option but still no change.
  2. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    06 May '06 08:15
    Did you press the "submit move" button after moving the pawn? The system should respond by asking you for the choice of piece.
  3. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 May '06 09:08
    Ah thanks I did not know you had to press submit. The FAQ is ambiguous in not explaining this point. On the analysis board you don't get the option to promote too.

NB in proper chess you don't get an analysis board, you have to calculate mentally so if you want to become a tournament chess player learn not to use analyse boards.
  4. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    06 May '06 14:54
    In "Analyze Board" you can right-click to change the pawn into something else.

Yes, in "over the board" chess you have to do everything in your head, but this a correspondence chess site. I admit I'd be completely stuck without "analyze board" and rough paper.
  5. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    06 May '06 16:05
    maybe you could put that in site ideas and something could get done about it...
  6. Joined
    29 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 May '06 17:57
    i am killing a rook and promoting my pawn to 8th rank and pressing submit button, but original position is coming back, that is the last move of the game as soon as i promote the pawn i will win the game. but if i am not able to do so i will lose it, it was a tough game for me
  7. In your face
    Moves
    16 May '06 18:55
    Originally posted by brajesh
    i am killing a rook and promoting my pawn to 8th rank and pressing submit button, but original position is coming back, that is the last move of the game as soon as i promote the pawn i will win the game. but if i am not able to do so i will lose it, it was a tough game for me
    I've had a look at the game in question (I think). You are trying to make an illegal move.
  8. Joined
    29 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 May '06 19:07
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    I've had a look at the game in question (I think). You are trying to make an illegal move.
    oh yea it was an illegal move, atlease now i will be able to draw i think, which i could have easily won, but just for blunder mistakes
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '06 00:46
    You cannot promote a pawn to a queen unless you are a member. All others must promote to a Knight.
  10. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    17 May '06 22:04
    Originally posted by General Putzer
    You cannot promote a pawn to a queen unless you are a member. All others must promote to a Knight.
    Don't forget that if your subscription lapses, and you lose your star, any time you move your Queen to the 8th, it is relegated to become a Pawn.

🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree