clan spam

Standard memberToe
Help 22 Sep '04 11:10
  1. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    22 Sep '04 11:10
    I've just posted a please don't use the internal messgae system to promote your clan request in the clan forum. My expectation of that influencing clan leaders is minimal.

So what to do about clan spam?
    An off the top of my head idea:

My clan settings
    Includes
    Members of <clan list>
    Leader of <clan>
    Per the above: a checkbox of available for clan matches
    A field Available for clan membership

In your profile, the Available for clan membership is shown in the clan section if true, and if so is an active link that sends a message to the person as per a normal RHP message. Clan leaders will be given strict instructs NOT to message others users regarding clan membership except through the available for clan membership link in the user's profile. Any breach of this (using the normal message system) is punished in a suitable manner (all internal mail use banned for a week or something, escalating if repeated).

Sorry folks but the clan leaders are simply too focussed on their own affairs and seem to have little concern that these concerns are not of any concern to other RHP members. Something has to be done to stop the spam.
  2. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '04 11:24
    I think this is just a personal quirk of yours because you don't wish to join a clan. If you put that in your profile then I, for one, would not even bother to ask you, but seeing as you haven't you should be flattered that anyone would want you to join their clan.
  3. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    22 Sep '04 12:33
    Originally posted by Toe
    I've just posted a please don't use the internal messgae system to promote your clan request in the clan forum. My expectation of that influencing clan leaders is minimal.

My clan settings
    Includes
    Members of <clan list>
    Leader of <clan>
    Per the above: a checkbox of available for clan ma ...[text shortened]... ncerns are not of any concern to other RHP members. Something has to be done to stop the spam.
    Stop whining.
  4. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    22 Sep '04 14:201 edit
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    Stop whining.
    Thanks for the constructive feeback.

No doubt you are one of those rare creatures that actually buy certain medications or body enhancing items that flood one's email inboxes these days, have a jolly old time in online gambling dens and have made a packet out of moving money out of Nigeria on behalf of honest upstanding citizens
  5. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    22 Sep '04 15:43
    I agree with Toe.
    While I can accept a the odd unsolicited request (though I'm likely to just ignore it), at least one clan leader is just a pest.
    I've been asked 4 times by this individual to join his clan, in the last 2 months. Worse than that, a polite 'No thanks' reply was met with a 'Why not?'.
    Something like this suggestion would be useful.
  6. Aberdeen, Scotland
    Moves
    22 Sep '04 17:401 edit
    Originally posted by Redmike
    I agree with Toe.
    While I can accept a the odd unsolicited request (though I'm likely to just ignore it), at least one clan leader is just a pest.
    I've been asked 4 times by this individual to join his clan, in the last 2 months. Worse ...[text shortened]... h a 'Why not?'.
    Something like this suggestion would be useful.
    No prizes for guessing who that was 😛
  7. Joined
    27 Aug '02
    Moves
    22 Sep '04 18:07
    I believe having something in ones profile should be sufficient. But I, like many, are getting hassled by the few, or in this case one. Perhaps an &quot;ignore user&quot; feature would work where it would automatically delete any message from a certain member, like a spam filter.
  8. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 08:51
    Originally posted by Toe
    Thanks for the constructive feeback.

No doubt you are one of those rare creatures that actually buy certain medications or body enhancing items that flood one's email inboxes these days, have a jolly old time in online gambling dens and have made a packet out of moving money out of Nigeria on behalf of honest upstanding citizens
    Actually, no 🙂

All i wanted to say is that you shouldn't complain clanleaders for trying to do their duty. You haven't joined a clan, but have moved alot, and as far as i can tell typing this, you're a good player. That makes you a perfect candidate clan-member.

I suggest you either message all clanleaders of importance to tell them you won't be joining a clan (after all, it's YOUR choice to refrain from clans), or patiently reply to all invites sent to you (and i doubt that there are many of them.

As for the &quot;why not&quot; messages, those are easily remedied by a decent reply. If you say no to a invite, then tell them why not in the same post. Saves you alot of trouble.

Something to make things easier for you, save a document on your computer, with a premade message declining the invite. That way you only need to copy/paste your reply.
  9. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 09:18
    Originally posted by Toe

My clan settings
    Includes
    Members of <clan list>
    Leader of <clan>
    Per the above: a checkbox of available for clan ma ...[text shortened]... ncerns are not of any concern to other RHP members. Something has to be done to stop the spam.
    I for one always read the profile of the prospective new clan member before sending an invitation - if the profile states that that person doesn't want to join clans, I don't send the invite. Simple as that.

There will always be pests and people who don't have the decency to respect your decision, and in their case I would reply something like &quot;I have already stated in my profile that I will not join clans. Please respect my decision and don't contact me about it again, I do not wish to discuss it, and am not about to change my mind.&quot;

Then if you hear from them again, just delete their messages. If you hear from them again repeatedly, then just PM Russ about a member spamming you.

-Jarno
  10. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 10:531 edit
    I'm not suggesting that all &quot;Join my clan&quot; messages cause huge irritation: One or two have actually been rather nice wee letters (and one in particular offered the sweetener of a game of chess too which gave it muchos cudos: look and learn clan leaders!)

However, spam is spam. Just like on my email, I don't expect to have to email every direct mail company to ask them not to email me. Here, I don't expect to have to message all the clan leaders (AND find out who they are for all the clans AND stay on top of that as clans live and die).

Neither should I require my profile text to be cluttered by 'opt out' messages. Thus I suggested a means where my profile would have a single field that would contain (a) a clear indication of whether I was keen to be recuited and (b) create the means to do so such that clan leaders with less dignity than Pyrrho are forced to check the profile status first.

But if it doesn't happen, I won't be throwing any toys out of prams. I simply consider spam to be a modern irritation that should be avoided when it reasonably can be.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree