1. Joined
    23 May '04
    Moves
    21 Sep '04 22:57
    Might it be possible to create a few users that are computer opponents? I noticed that FICS has this. I assume that these users would be clearly identified as being computer opponents.

I think this could serve a few useful purposes:
    - It would always provide access to an opponent of a certain rating level.
    - It would give us all an idea of the rating of a certain chess engine configured to play a certain way. For example, Arasan 2-ply is about 1400, at 3-ply is about 1550, etc.
    - Provides much faster response than playing against a human opponent.
    - Could also be used as part of a training game feature.

What do you think? And Russ, would this be difficult to implement?
  2. Standard membertlai1992
    Retired knight
    Chess Castle
    Moves
    22 Sep '04 00:35

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '04 01:17

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard membergameover9
    11 games waiting
    far from u I hope
    Moves
    22 Sep '04 13:46
    Originally posted by zucchini
    Might it be possible to create a few users that are computer opponents? I noticed that FICS has this. I assume that these users would be clearly identified as being computer opponents.

- It would always provide access to an opponent of a certain rating level.
    - It would give us all an idea of the rating ...[text shortened]... training game feature.

What do you think? And Russ, would this be difficult to implement?
    good idea, but i don't think it should be counted against your rating😛
  5. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    27 Sep '04 10:23
    Originally posted by gameover9
    good idea, but i don't think it should be counted against your rating😛
    excellent idea can we have this?
  6. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    27 Sep '04 13:29
    good idea in theory but who would be making the moves for the computers ???

i wouldnt want to see Russ valuable time being taken up by mundane things like that ... anyone advances on this ??
  7. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    27 Sep '04 13:49
    Originally posted by The Slow Pawn
    ... but who would be making the moves for the computers ???
    With respect to http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
    Perhaps we could set up a distributed network over all RHP user's machines: a supercomputer chess wizard that would finally show Kasparov a thing or two.
    We'd have to stop it simply looking up (and stealing) Ironman31's moves though... never trust a distributed supercomputer, that's what I always say.
  8. Aberdeen, Scotland
    Moves
    27 Sep '04 16:58
    i think you can reasonably expect to have this without express permission. does it not say "cannot use software or engine unless agreed prior to the game" in the ToS? so assuming you shove that in the profile and tell everyone that challenges you then i geuess thats fair. esp. if its unrated.

how about a tournament for computer software only. get everyone to say what theyre using in advance and see what happens?
  9. Joined
    23 May '04
    Moves
    27 Sep '04 17:451 edit
    Originally posted by The Slow Pawn
    but who would be making the moves for the computers ???
    I'm thinking along the same line as on FICS, where the FICS server runs a chess engine to play you. This way, no individual has to play the part of a chess-software-based RHP user. Perhaps with limited search depths, running a chess engine to pick a move would not take much server time. Also, such computer chess engine based moves could be made the lowest priority so they aren't slowing down regular games.

I think most chess engines are built to work with an interface such as winboard, which I believe can run the chess engine with a given position, and the chess engine reports its move.
  10. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    27 Sep '04 17:521 edit
    Originally posted by zucchini

...[text shortened]... do you think? And Russ, would this be difficult to implement?
    Oddly enough, we used to have one of these.

Edit: But it got retired.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree