1. Joined
    17 Jun '04
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 13:50
    Hi there,

When I'm at work I like to keep my browser open so that when I get mail that an opponent has moved I can continue with the game. However, unless the player you last played has just moved, you have to refresh the page and only then can you click on the 'x games waiting' link.

Would it not perhaps be better to have a list of your opponents in a table on the far right of the page where the actual game is played? You could then get to that game with one click, instead of using refresh first. This would save time, and bandwidth for RHP.

Just an idea,
    Marc
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 13:58
    Originally posted by marcs
    Hi there,

When I'm at work I like to keep my browser open so that when I get mail that an opponent has moved I can continue with the game. However, unless the player you last played has just moved, you have to refresh the page and only then can you click on the 'x games waiting' link.

Would it not perhaps be better to have a list of your opponents ...[text shortened]... ead of using refresh first. This would save time, and bandwidth for RHP.

Just an idea,
    Marc
    Of more importance at this stage of RHP's life is machine time for our database. Unfortunately, getting a list of all your opponents would be 'expensive' for our database, particularly as this would be used by few people.

[Most people involved in a large number of games don't even have email notifications turned on.]

-Russ
  3. Joined
    17 Jun '04
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 14:04
    Originally posted by Russ
    Of more importance at this stage of RHP's life is machine time for our database.
    Out of interest Russ, are you using one of the free databases such as PostgreSQL or MySQL, and which? Just interested as to what a site of this size is using.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 14:192 edits
    Originally posted by marcs
    Out of interest Russ, are you using one of the free databases such as PostgreSQL or MySQL, and which? Just interested as to what a site of this size is using.
    MySql.

And it has performed faultlessly under load 24/7 for years. Amazing, really.

-Russ
  5. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 16:08
    just because I am curious:
    Russ, can you tell me how many lines of code all the site here is? (just a rough estimation) would be interesting, thanks
    th
  6. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    09 Jul '04 11:43
    Pleeease Russ... I have no idea of the size of such a project: 100.000 lines? or 1.000.000... just a rough estimate, please.
    th, a little nagger 😉 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree