Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 02 Jul '04 02:10
    What is the significance of those little delete trashcans next to a few of my games. This is probably elementary, but I'm a newcomer on the site and have a lot to learn.
  2. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    02 Jul '04 02:13
    Originally posted by buddy2
    What is the significance of those little delete trashcans next to a few of my games. This is probably elementary, but I'm a newcomer on the site and have a lot to learn.
    You have a chance to delete any game in the first 2 or 3 moves. So if you don't want the game, click the trash can. They do say Delete next to them?

    P-
  3. 02 Jul '04 02:33
    Thanks Phlabibit.
    Now I understand. Under what conditions would I delete them? Because they don't move in the beginning of the game or i didn't like the opening?
  4. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    02 Jul '04 03:38
    Originally posted by buddy2
    Thanks Phlabibit.
    Now I understand. Under what conditions would I delete them? Because they don't move in the beginning of the game or i didn't like the opening?
    Hey bud,

    No, don't abuse this option... The delete button is for games not started, or deleting a game where someone might be flaming you.

    Or if the other guy started the game and you don't want to play it at all. If someone starts a game with you, either move... or delete it.

    I am sure there are other reasons, but an opening you don't like shouldn't be a reason. cya!

    P-
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    02 Jul '04 03:41
    Originally posted by buddy2
    Thanks Phlabibit.
    Now I understand. Under what conditions would I delete them? Because they don't move in the beginning of the game or i didn't like the opening?
    I'm pretty new to the site, too but from reading the forums I think the delete is used in two circumstances: 1) When an opponent starts a game, makes one or two moves and stops playing and 2) When someone accepts one of your open invites and for some reason you don't want to play them (i.e. too weak, too strong, you've played them before and don't want to play them this time, etc.). I think it would be poor form to delete a game just because the other player used an opening you don't like, but maybe other people think differently.
  6. Standard member Exy
    Damn fine Clan!
    02 Jul '04 04:48
    I get challenged a lot by people out of the blue, cos I'm already playing over 100 games I have to decline to play them. So I hit the delete button.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    02 Jul '04 05:55
    Originally posted by Exy
    I get challenged a lot by people out of the blue, cos I'm already playing over 100 games I have to decline to play them. So I hit the delete button.
    So if someone challenges you it automatically goes into your games, you don't have to accept?
  8. Standard member Exy
    Damn fine Clan!
    02 Jul '04 06:01 / 1 edit
    That's right. Unless you have used filters to prevent certain rated players from challenging you, or put a cap on the number of games you want to play at once (mine's 150 and I'm getting far too close to that!)