1. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    15 Jul '03 10:36
    From the amount of times I and others have answered the same questions about changing site settings it is obvious that they are just too well hidden from many users - especially the non-English speakers.

Wouldn't it be better if some of the more commonly used settings could be accessed from the one place that everybody sees ie: the actual playing board screen? Make them obvious and in full view and that way more people will use them.

An 'On Vacation' tick box next to the board would be especially useful.

Rhymester
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    15 Jul '03 11:23
    On the navigation bar near the top of the page, change the 'My Home' link title to 'My Settings'. The word 'settings' is more descriptive of that links' purpose, I think.

The navigation bar seems to be at the top of most of the pages.

Marc
  3. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    15 Jul '03 11:30
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    On the navigation bar near the top of the page, change the 'My Home' link title to 'My Settings'. The word 'settings' is more descriptive of that links' purpose, I think.

The navigation bar seems to be at the top of most of the pages.

Marc
    Yes but as I say - people just don't seem to be going into those drop down menus and for a non-English speaker all those different choices of settings must be confusing... something right there next to the board would be far more user friendly. You only have to look at how few new users have flags for example to see how what I mean about features being too well hidden. 🙂

Andrew
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Jul '03 11:36
    I think Marc might have a point.

The My Home menu could be better split into two - adding a 'my settings' menu.

I think the repetition of the help questions is probably down the out of date help files too. Im slowly catching up... (although doing some contract work to help pay the bills has temporarily slowed me)

-Russ
  5. Standard membergregoftheweb
    The Great Gonzo
    Seattle
    Moves
    16 Jul '03 16:27
    The other thing Russ, is although I do like your use of the onclick method for popping your menu's, it is sort of non standard for drop down menus. People don't expect to have to click on a top level link to get a drop down. If you set it to onmouseover it would, simply by accident, be used more. Just my 2 cents.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Jul '03 17:42
    Originally posted by gregoftheweb
    The other thing Russ, is although I do like your use of the onclick method for popping your menu's, it is sort of non standard for drop down menus. People don't expect to have to click on a top level link to get a drop down. If you set it to onmouseover it would, simply by accident, be used more. Just my 2 cents.
    I did experiment with this- but as my great granddad used to say, "When in doubt, do as Windows does."

He was a big fan of Bill Gates, honest. 🙂

Point taken though, this might be worth a try.

-Russ
  7. Standard membergregoftheweb
    The Great Gonzo
    Seattle
    Moves
    16 Jul '03 18:58
    Ahh but there is a difference between web UI and app UI. I have no problem personally with the drop downs, I'm merely suggesting a way to improve the visibility of the functionality.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree