Originally posted by SicilianNajdorf
Can anyone teach me how to insert or use FEN notation ? It seems a bit too complex for me .
A FEN record contains 6 fields. The separator between fields is a space. The fields are:
1) Piece placement (from white's perspective). Each rank is described, starting with rank 8 and ending with rank 1; within each rank, the contents of each square are described from file a through file h. White pieces are designated using upper-case letters ("KQRBNP"😉, Black by lowercase ("kqrbnp"😉. Blank squares are noted using digits 1 through 8 (the number of blank squares), and "/" separate ranks.
2) Active color. "w" means white moves next, "b" means black.
3) Castling availability. If neither side can castle, this is "-". Otherwise, this has one or more letters: "K" (White can castle kingside), "Q" (White can castle queenside), "k" (Black can castle kingside), and/or "q" (Black can castle queenside).
4) En passant target square. If there's no en passant target square, this is "-". If a pawn has just made a 2-square move, this is the position "behind" the pawn.
5) Halfmove clock: This is the number of halfmoves since the last pawn advance or capture. This is used to determine if a draw can be claimed under the fifty move rule.
6) Fullmove number: The number of the full move. It starts at 1, and is incremented after Black's move.
Taken from wikipedia