Flip a FEN?

Standard memberlepomis
Help 02 Apr '07 04:39
  1. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 04:39
    Is it possible to have a FEN diagram with the black home pieces on the bottom?
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 14:08
    Originally posted by lepomis
    Is it possible to have a FEN diagram with the black home pieces on the bottom?
    Where are you plugging your Fen?

I can plug them to Winboard and flip them there. Most have this option to flip a board.

If you are setting up by hand, just start on the 180 corner. It's the same thing.

P-
  3. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 15:22
    Thanks Phlabibit

I am using RHPs FEN viewer in forums. When I put FEN diagrams on RHP it always has white home spaces on the bottom. I am going through several games that I wanted to discuss from blacks point of view. I thought maybe RHPs FEN viewer had a variable for which way the diagram is displayed. It would be a lot of extra work to rearrange them all by hand.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 15:391 edit
    You shouldn't flip them for this (I don't think). This might confuse some viewers as fewer pieces show up on the board. They will want to march pawns the wrong direction.

I don't think I've ever seen a chess puzzler or book where they show black marching up. They just say "black to move".

P-
  5. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 16:02
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    You shouldn't flip them for this (I don't think). This might confuse some viewers as fewer pieces show up on the board. They will want to march pawns the wrong direction.

I don't think I've ever seen a chess puzzler or book where they show black marching up. They just say "black to move".

P-
    You might be right on that point... those diagrams get me b/c I always push the pawns up the board, never down 🙂

I'll just leave them alone for now.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 16:05
    Originally posted by lepomis
    You might be right on that point... those diagrams get me b/c I always push the pawns up the board, never down 🙂

I'll just leave them alone for now.
    I look forward to your thread. I prefer black.

P-
  7. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 16:27
    I am going over Max Euwes book in the analysis clan... so if you want to see it... 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree