1. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    04 May '07 19:33
    Another question that perhaps been asked before, but I can't find a reference: Is there a way to look at another player's completed games? I'd like to be able to study the games of some of the top players on site, because I think I could learn something. Is there a way to do it?

On a related note, does the site keep track of one's own performance statistics by color?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 May '07 19:491 edit
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    Another question that perhaps been asked before, but I can't find a reference: Is there a way to look at another player's completed games? I'd like to be able to study the games of some of the top players on site, because I think I could learn something. Is there a way to do it?

On a related note, does the site keep track of one's own performance statistics by color?

Thanks in advance.
    Click a user's name, that brings you to their profile.

On the left side of the page you should see some links for that player. One of them is all public games.

Once you are there, you can sort them by opponant they've played, finished only... in progress... perhaps more.

P-
  3. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    04 May '07 19:54
    Thanks much, Phlabibit. Just what I was looking for.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 May '07 20:03
    Thanks much, Phlabibit. Just what I was looking for.
    Have you seen this function? It's an RHP database doo-hickey.

http://www.timeforchess.com/gamesexplorer/

P-
  5. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    04 May '07 20:051 edit

Thanks in advance.
    Yup - even better than that they also break it down by opponent too:

1. Click "My Home" and select "My Home" from the popup menu
    2. Click "My Performance" (just below the "Forums" icon)

Dont mention it 😉

[Edit: Also breaks them down for Tournaments/Clan Challenge/Clan League/Sieges - only of use for subscribers]
  6. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    04 May '07 20:10
    Thanks, MCA. Again, exactly what I was looking for (sorry, I mentioned it 🙂 )

P- Wow! That link is great. But aren't players tempted to use it to carry them through an opening? Like playing the percentages?
  7. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    04 May '07 20:151 edit
    Thanks, MCA. Again, exactly what I was looking for (sorry, I mentioned it 🙂 )

P- Wow! That link is great. But aren't players tempted to use it to carry them through an opening? Like playing the percentages?
    that is partly the point,

on this site (and in all correspondence chess) you are allowed to use a database of players games in the opening to help you - many players do

i never used to but have recently started to since so many others do against me
  8. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    04 May '07 20:21
    Originally posted by MCA
    that is partly the point,

on this site (and in all correspondence chess) you are allowed to use a database of players games in the opening to help you - many players do

i never used to but have recently started to since so many others do against me
    Interesting. I thought such a thing might be out of bounds, but then I saw a thread that mentioned engines were off base but books and DBs were not. I'm certainly not being critical of the policy here (or of anyone's choice to use any and all legal tools), but what is the distinction? Aren't books and DBs a form of outside help?
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 May '07 20:441 edit
    Interesting. I thought such a thing might be out of bounds, but then I saw a thread that mentioned engines were off base but books and DBs were not. I'm certainly not being critical of the policy here (or of anyone's choice to use any and all legal tools), but what is the distinction? Aren't books and DBs a form of outside help?
    It's a long story... but this style of chess is for learning and playing at the same time. You can search a database of finished games, use books etc... but you can't plug your game into a computer and ask the next move.

Most of the time you will find yourself out of database in 6 to 15 moves or so, and the rest of the game you are on your own. Database can't cover all games that will ever be played, there are billions of options in the first 10 moves or so.

Also, you are welcome to ask a user if they plan to use data, and you are welcome to ask them not to use data. They will or they won't, but you won't need to play them if you don't like... unless it is a forced game like tourneys, clans, and sieges.

I started using data about a year back. Only use it against stronger players... just to stay in the game without blundering a pawn early.

So, I used to be against it a bit... but have come to realize it doesn't take you all the way through the game, just helps you learn some openings that people have been playing for years.

P-
  10. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    05 May '07 16:03
    Thank you once more for the patient and informative answers. I suppose I can see the difference now betwenn engines and available data (books, DBs). But how would someone know, or even suspect, if an opponent is using an engine? I assume that there aren't any obvious signs, otherwise those using engines would be caught in short rder. But are there subtle things to look for, perhaps?
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 May '07 02:39
    .....but what is the distinction? Aren't books and DBs a form of outside help?
    One of the main reasons correspondence chess allows the use of databases is because there is absolutely no way of preventing it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree