1. Joined
    21 Jul '07
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 00:31
    (b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.
    "

Is using google or the sites it finds for research materials allowed?
  2. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 00:42
    Originally posted by Ron Drums
    (b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.
    "

Is using google or the sites it finds for research materials allowed?
    Yes, anything you find on the Internet is just another form of reference material.
  3. Joined
    21 Jul '07
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 01:01
    Thank you David
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 09:40
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    Yes, anything you find on the Internet is just another form of reference material.
    I saw an internet site a few years ago that, after you entered your position, it suggested the next move for you. Don't know how good it was but I thought that sort of thing wasn't allowed.....?
  5. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 10:412 edits
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I saw an internet site a few years ago that, after you entered your position, it suggested the next move for you. Don't know how good it was but I thought that sort of thing wasn't allowed.....?
    Obviously that wouldn't be allowed. Ok, if sites like that exist, then I need to qualify my answer.

"Almost anything you find on the Internet can be used as reference material".

If you happen to stumble upon a site that encourages cheating - leave it immediately! (do not pass Go, do not collect $200).

However almost any information obtained from the vast majority of sites is fine.

Hope that clears things up (thanks Dr. Strangelove!) 😉
  6. Joined
    21 Jul '07
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 12:09
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Wouldn't that still be considered using an chess engine? The TOS covers the use of chess engines.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 12:172 edits
    Originally posted by Ron Drums
    Wouldn't that still be considered using an chess engine? The TOS covers the use of chess engines.
    Yeah, I guess so.
  8. San Diego
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 22:26
    Anything you find on the Internet can be used, unless it cannot be used. This comes straight from the Tautology Division of the Department of Redundancy Department. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree