1. Joined
    20 Jun '03
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 21:15
    Why do we have the facility for issuing reminders? I join long haul games specifically because I work away a lot and find 21days for each move plus the twenty one day timebank suits me well. I can do without people, who have entered tournaments knowing full well the time-outs, issuing what are in effect 'hurry up' messages. When I receive such a message I make sure I use my rime allocation to the full for each move!! So..watch it Starkey, I won't move for weeks.
  2. Standard membereyeqpc
    Robbo
    a Brave new world
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 21:37
    Originally posted by jayaitch
    Why do we have the facility for issuing reminders? I join long haul games specifically because I work away a lot and find 21days for each move plus the twenty one day timebank suits me well. I can do without people, who have entered tournaments knowing full well the time-outs, issuing what are in effect 'hurry up' messages. When I receive such a messag ...[text shortened]... e my rime allocation to the full for each move!! So..watch it Starkey, I won't move for weeks.
    I feel the same way about these reminders. If it was an OTB timed game I think words would have to be said if an opponent asked me to hurry up.
    I like to play at my own pace and give my full attention to whichever game I choose, as long as I play my move within the time frame why tell me to "hurry up".
  3. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 23:511 edit
    I have a question. Are those reminders sent automatically? I see them all of the time beside my games, but I never send them. It says "Reminder" and when I click on it I get this message on the screen - "A move reminder has been sent to zucchini" or whoever the player may be that got a reminder sent to them. '

How do I turn that off? I don't want to time people out, but it seems like half of my games always have those little yellow reminder letters beside them. I always just ignored them , but now I'm worried I've sent out a thousand of those things and I didn't realize it.

4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 00:12
    Originally posted by wib
    I have a question. Are those reminders sent automatically? I see them all of the time beside my games, but I never send them. It says "Reminder" and when I click on it I get this message on the screen - "A move reminder has been sent to zucchini" or whoever the player may be that got a reminder sent to them. '

How do I turn that off? I don't want to ...[text shortened]... but now I'm worried I've sent out a thousand of those things and I didn't realize it.

I think if you click it, it is sent. So, don't click it and nothing should happen except it will just be there all the time until your opponent moves. You just need to learn to ignore them.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 15:481 edit
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I think if you click it, it is sent. So, don't click it and nothing should happen except it will just be there all the time until your opponent moves. You just need to learn to ignore them.
    Is that true that the remainders aren't sent unless you click on them? I've been clicking 'em on automatically because I thought the site was telling me a remainder had already been sent and I just wanted to clear My Games page of the damn things! Is there anyway we can get rid of 'em from our screen without sending 'em? Russ?
  6. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 16:08
    The way I avoid the damn things is to apply the "My Move" filter, that way I only see the games I have to move in. If I want to check for timeouts I just click to "My Opponents Move" or click the remove the filter option, have a quick check and then re-apply the "My Move" filter, that way I hardly ever see or think about the remind buttons.
  7. Joined
    18 Sep '03
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 16:12
    I used to send them.
    Then I decided not to.
    Now I ignore them.

I believe I've introduced a non-technical resolution to this pressing issue. Russ, do I get a commission? 😀
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 17:21
    Originally posted by Decanter
    I used to send them.
    Then I decided not to.
    Now I ignore them.

I believe I've introduced a non-technical resolution to this pressing issue. Russ, do I get a commission? 😀
    Umm, the "pressing issue" (your words, not mine) was: "Is there anyway we can get rid of 'em from our screen without sending 'em?"
    So your "non-technical resolution" doesn't resolve the "pressing issue" any more than the "non-technical resolution" of putting a rock through my monitor so I wouldn't have to see them would.
  9. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 17:361 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Is that true that the remainders aren't sent unless you click on them? I've been clicking 'em on automatically because I thought the site was telling me a remainder had already been sent and I just wanted to clear My Games pa ...[text shortened]... e can get rid of 'em from our screen without sending 'em? Russ?
    I think that's how it works but I'm not really 100% sure on this.

I agree that it would be nice to have the option to just delete the 'send reminder' feature. The few times that I have tried it, I saw no sign that it made any difference. If they're ready to move, they will without being reminded. If not, they just ignore the reminder the same as they're ingoring the game. So, I never use it anyway.

10. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 17:52
    Umm, the "pressing issue" (your words, not mine) was: "Is there anyway we can get rid of 'em from our screen without sending 'em?"
    So your "non-technical resolution" doesn't resolve the "pressing issue" any more than the "non-technical resolution" of putting a rock through my monitor so I wouldn't have to see them would.
    Use the "My Move" filter and you'll never, ever, see them. Sorted.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 21:58
    Originally posted by Exy
    Use the "My Move" filter and you'll never, ever, see them. Sorted.
    Where is this "My Move" filter of which you speak, Exy? I can't seem to find it (of course, I couldn't castle on this site for my first week!)
  12. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    03 Sep '04 15:02
    Where is this "My Move" filter of which you speak, Exy? I can't seem to find it (of course, I couldn't castle on this site for my first week!)
    Click on "Action" on the my games page. In the drop down, select "My move". Voila!
  13. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    03 Sep '04 15:10
    Let me repeat what I think are the best ideas for this ...

1) don't show the "move reminder" button *UNTIL* your opponent is using their timebank.
    2) allow users to disable move reminder emails if they so wish.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Sep '04 15:59
    Originally posted by dsb3
    Click on "Action" on the my games page. In the drop down, select "My move". Voila!
    Cool, thanks! Maybe if I'm on site for twenty years I'll figure out all the little gizmos they've put in! And your idea about disabling the remainders is a good one.
  15. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    03 Sep '04 18:49
    Originally posted by dsb3
    Let me repeat what I think are the best ideas for this ...

1) don't show the "move reminder" button *UNTIL* your opponent is using their timebank.
    2) allow users to disable move reminder emails if they so wish.
    Egggggsactly what I've requested several times. How about it, Russ???

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree