1. Joined
    02 Aug '03
    Moves
    20 Nov '03 19:08
    I just did a losing move in one of my games, i was waiting for my next move so i could resign, in the mean time i added the game to my own personal game database, after my own analysis, i started checking it using Fritz, anyway a lot of the other person moves matched up to what Fritz chose. I tried a few more Engines and found that nearly all but one move the player made matched Shredder 6. I thought he might just be good or damn lucky so i went and checked his other games against, Shredder, sure enough nearly all his moves matched and the ones that didnt were so naff, that they are clearly red herrings. The players name is Gaz65. Is there an e-mail address or something where i can report this to the site admins ?
  2. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    20 Nov '03 20:10
    Send a private message to Russ,if you want.But the proof you present might not be enough,I'm afraid.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '03
    Moves
    20 Nov '03 23:39
    Theres no doubt hes cheating, I checked 10 of his games and they all matched up to Shredders moves.
  4. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    21 Nov '03 00:29
    sounds like you deserve super sleuth of the year award! One of our members is a policeman - do you want to apply for a job?
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '03
    Moves
    21 Nov '03 01:06
    Awwww touche.
  6. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    21 Nov '03 04:49
    Originally posted by Flumzilla
    Theres no doubt hes cheating, I checked 10 of his games and they all matched up to Shredders moves.
    The fact that his moves are the same as shredder's doesn't prove he is cheating.At least not in my book.Now,if we were talking about 'live' games,that would be different.But with email chess it just isn't enough.
    Btw,how much time did you give shredder per move?
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '03
    Moves
    21 Nov '03 08:28
    Gave it a good minute on each move. I can see that his moves might be the same Shredders for a lot of one game, but for more than one, not a chance. You only have to look at the odds involved in a chess game. 20 opening moves for white 20 responces for black. After 1 move there are 400 variations. After 2 move its up to 72,000 and move 3 makes it 9 million. I cant see this one guy picking out the same variations as Shredder for all his games.
  8. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    21 Nov '03 10:46
    compelling evidence that he may be using an engine, but unfortunatly not proof. However unlikely it may be, the fact that Shredder is trying to chose the best move & so is he means that there sian infinatly small chance that they have just always analysed the game the same way. Now if there was a built in flaw in Shredder, so that it made 1 BAD move, and our opponent followed that too - that'd be proof for me. Unfrtunatly, apart form voicing your concern, there is little you can do except not play them again.

If I had an engine I would be tempted to put some of the top players games through - I've heard that DT agrees with the engines most of the time just because he's good, and I guess others at the top do to.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '03
    Moves
    21 Nov '03 11:07
    Guess so, i'll just message the guy and ask him if hes cheating. Just seems a shame to have all but proof that he is cheating and let him go on cheating against the next person he plays.
  10. Joined
    17 Feb '03
    Moves
    21 Nov '03 14:361 edit
    Guess so, i'll just message the guy and ask him if hes cheating. Just seems a shame to have all but proof that he is cheating and let him go on cheating against the next person he plays.
    All these accusations of cheating (using a chess engine NOT multiple accounts) are making this site a MUCH LESS FRIENDLY place on the internet. if you find someone who is in your opinion a cheater, just don't play him or her anymore. Why make an accusation that may not be correct? It is just plain rude, stupid and possibly illegal (I would like to know the legalities of posting slander/libel on the internet). Also why is it that if you (or anybody else) plays a cheat the complaint comes only after a loss? I suppose if you beat a cheater the cheater stopped cheating for that one game. Russ should seriously consider banning all posts that are cheating accusations and he should strongly warn people to REFRAIN from doing so in the future. As an aside I wonder why most of these accusations are coming from recently joined non-pawnstars?

Feivel the HardcoreFreethinker
  11. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    21 Nov '03 16:08
    Originally posted by Feivel
    All these accusations of cheating (using a chess engine NOT multiple accounts) are making this site a MUCH LESS FRIENDLY place on the internet. if you find someone who is in your opinion a cheater, just don't play him or her anymore. Why make an accusation that may not be correct? It is just plain rude, stupid and possibly illegal (I would like to know the l ...[text shortened]... ese accusations are coming from recently joined non-pawnstars?

I think you're right, and was trying to point out that you can never be sure if someone is cheating or not. For this reason and that accusations can never be verified, I'd agree that such accusations, however well founded, should be discouraged.

But I would have to say that, if someone was using an engine to make their moves, then the only way I'd ever beat them is if they stopped using it for that game - I can't even beat Rival 🙁
  12. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    21 Nov '03 17:22
    Originally posted by Feivel
    All these accusations of cheating (using a chess engine NOT multiple accounts) are making this site a MUCH LESS FRIENDLY place on the internet. if you find someone who is in your opinion a cheater, just don't play him or her anymore. Why make an accusation that may not be correct? It is just plain rude, stupid and possibly illegal (I would like to know the l ...[text shortened]... ese accusations are coming from recently joined non-pawnstars?

Good point!
  13. Joined
    18 Nov '03
    Moves
    23 Nov '03 04:09
    who cares? i'm just here to try to play well, enjoy myself, and improve my chess. if i don't know, someone else using an engine makes no difference to this for me.
  14. Standard memberkingofthe303
    Wormtongue
    Edoras
    Moves
    24 Nov '03 18:08
    I am in total agreeance with Feivel. If one suspects an opponent of unfair play, keep it to yourself and just don't play them again. Your long term rating will not be affected as it will reflect your ability against honest players in all the other games that you play. The only player that is being cheated is one that knows they are cheating. There is no fun, in my opinion, in winning (or losing) a game that is not your own effort.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree