1. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 19:46
    I seem to lose contact with the internet when on line. A real pain in the whaddyacallits when I'm trying to work from home. It is an intermittent problem not a constant interruption of service.

I called our DSL provider and they checked the line from their end and said they could not detect a problem. So they sent out some high school dropout to check the line at our house and all he could say (without even checking anything) was there could not be a problem with the line on our side either.

So, could the problem be with the little magic box the DSL comes through? We have a wireless router as well, could that be a source of the problem? I dunno ...

Sure hope someone can provide some info on how a system like this works and what the problems could possibly be. Has anybody experienced similar problems?

POB ...
  2. In your face
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 20:282 edits
    Originally posted by Frank Burns
    I seem to lose contact with the internet when on line. A real pain in the whaddyacallits when I'm trying to work from home. It is an intermittent problem not a constant interruption of service.

I called our DSL provider and they checked the line from their end and said they could not detect a problem. So they sent out some high school dropout to ch ...[text shortened]... and what the problems could possibly be. Has anybody experienced similar problems?

POB ...
    You could phone BT and ask them to see if there is a fault on your line. Probable possible problem. Also, most DSL modems come with diagnostics so thatyou can check your side of the connectoin from your own PC. They should be on the set up disk. If all this is in order. Post back.
  3. DISCO!
    Moves
    23 Jul '06 19:58
    Are you using the wireless feature of your arrangement?

p.s You probably don't use BT :-)
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 00:11
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    You could phone BT and ask them to see if there is a fault on your line. Probable possible problem. Also, most DSL modems come with diagnostics so thatyou can check your side of the connectoin from your own PC. They should be on the set up disk. If all this is in order. Post back.
    That may be the problem - using BT when in the USA 🙂
  5. In your face
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 15:44
    Originally posted by adramforall
    That may be the problem - using BT when in the USA 🙂
    OOooooooops! 😳
  6. Standard memberAsthereal
    Dark Matter
    Maastricht
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 13:32

I called our DSL provider and they checked the line from their end and said they could not detect a problem. So they sent out some high school dropout to ch ...[text shortened]... and what the problems could possibly be. Has anybody experienced similar problems?

POB ...
    There are also various problems you can encounter with the router. I use a router to get on the internet and that !@#$%^ thing breaks down all the time. You could try, when the connection is gone again, to reset or switch off and then on again your router. If that works to get your connection back, then I'm very sorry but I cannot tell you what you have to do to really fix the problem because I honestly don't know. We tried a hunderd things and asked a hunderd people but we haven't found the sollution yet... Good luck anyway!
  7. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 16:59
    I seem to lose contact with the internet when on line.
    How is it when you're offline?
  8. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 19:041 edit
    Well thanks to all. I tried the disc as jimslyp69 advised, the disc was faulty. So I calle the provider, they brought up the DOS screen, checked around, made what adjustments needed and now everything seems fine. I had done the re-boot trick many times as was suggested by Asthereal and it seemed to help but only for a short while. Sorry for the lag in responding to you all. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

And I was never sure if Bowmann had a sense of humor or not. All doubt has been removed now ...
  9. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 19:05
    Originally posted by Woodgie
    Are you using the wireless feature of your arrangement?

p.s You probably don't use BT :-)
    Yes, I am. And no, we don't use BT over here 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree