Intrusion attempts at your site.

Intrusion attempts at your site.

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
01 Dec 06

Originally posted by Teshuvah
"A computer with the IP address 127.0.0.1 sent information that is characteristic of the HTTP_ActivePerl_Overflow attack."
I just did a little websearch for "HTTP_ActivePerl_Overflow attack"

It seems this is a common problem with forum sites.

Evidently it is most likely a "false positive"

"This signature may not indicate malicious intent if ActivePerl versions other than those listed above are used or ActivePerl is not used at all. In this case, you can exclude this signature from monitoring."

You can search yourself for "HTTP_ActivePerl_Overflow attack" and seewhat I am talking about. I'd say just disable that warning and forget about it. Unless you actually HAVE ActivePerl installed on your computer.

T

Moves
01 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Ian68
1. 127.0.0.1 is the IP address of your own computer.

2. NIS does not recognize a threat called HTTP_ActivePerl_Overflow, nor is it listed on the symantec website.

3. Attacking the ActivePerl buffer would be almost pointless as very few people will have ActivePerl installed on their computer.
My IP address is not even close to 127.0.0.1.

And yes, NIS does recognize that threat at their site.

Good day.

As I said I am in contact with the admins. Theres a pattern with these attempts that took me a few days to notice. Ive made it aware to the admins and have been assured they will look into it immediately.

I'll let this topic die now for my part.

I

Moves
01 Dec 06

"IP Loopback Address
127.0.0.1 is the loopback address in IP. Loopback is a test mechanism of network adapters. Messages sent to 127.0.0.1 do not get delivered to the network. Instead, the adapter intercepts all loopback messages and returns them to the sending application. IP applications often use this feature to test the behavior of their network interface."

Any 'attack' from 127.0.0.1 has come from within your computer not from the internet.

DS

Moves
01 Dec 06

Good day.
Good day from the community response team all in one 😏

In your face

Moves
01 Dec 06

My firewall keeps on giving me a 'Complete Wonka' warning every time I enter this thread. Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this? 😕😉

DS

Moves
02 Dec 06

Originally posted by jimslyp69
My firewall keeps on giving me a 'Complete Wonka' warning every time I enter this thread. Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this? 😕😉
ROFLMAO 😀

Aromatic

God's Flower Pot

Moves
04 Dec 06

Why does norton anti-virus keep on detecting and blocking medium risk intrusion attempts when I am playing at your site 2-3 times a day?
the virus intrusions often come with advertisement popups on many sites. there are some on this site, I can't remember which ones they are. when you play as a non-suscriber you are susceptible to them as you get the advertisments. they don't necessarily come from "red hot pawn" but there are some sick people who invade advertisment popups with viruses. Anyhow, one way to avoid them is to install google tool bar on your browser, it has a popup blocker. also you can download pow! for browswers like firefox, etc http://www.analogx.com/ another great popup blocker. As well Windows has a popupblocker in your Windows tools. Hopefully this helps too 🙂

RP

DS

Moves
04 Dec 06

Originally posted by RosePetal
the virus intrusions often come with advertisement popups on many sites. there are some on this site, I can't remember which ones they are. when you play as a non-suscriber you are susceptible to them as you get the advertisments. they don't necessarily come from "red hot pawn" but there are some sick people who invade advertisment popups with viruses. Any ...[text shortened]... As well Windows has a popupblocker in your Windows tools. Hopefully this helps too 🙂

RP
But pop up blockers and adblocking stuff is not allowed for non-subscribers.

So I understand. 😞