1. Bartow, FL
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 13:34
    Hi,

The profile screen says the following

Tournament Entry Rating is calculated by the formula (CurrentRating + HighestRating) / 2. The entry rating will never drop to more than than 100 points below your Highest Rating.

I've just now completed my 20th game, so I newly non-provisional, which probably has something to do with it.

My current rating after the 20th game is 1420. My highest rating during the first 20 was 1480. So, my tournament rating should be in the 1400s at least. As you can see on my profile, my tournament rating is 1310, which is 110 points under my current rating and 170 under my highest rating.

I don't mind this except to say that it isn't fair to the other players in the 1300-1350 tournament that I just signed up for. If I look at all I'm the only 1400+ rated person in the tourney.

I'm afraid that I'll get slack for this when the thing begins. So if you're in my tourney, I'm Sorry! I probably still won't win the thing...

Is this a mess up or is it correct?
  2. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 14:093 edits
    I had the same thing happen. I think maybe the "Highest Rating" doesn't update itself properly until your 21st game.

If you're worried about annoying the people in the tournament, I'd just withdraw (if you still can) and wait until you finish one more game. (In fact, you probably should do this, because you really are entering at the wrong rating due to a bug.)

By the way, the "highest rating" doesn't include provisional ratings, so it won't be 1480. But it should at least be equal to your current rating, which I think it will be when it fixes itself after your next game.

edit (again): Actually just noticed something-- if I count your actual completed games, I only get 18, even though your profile says you've completed 20. I had a similar problem where my games count was off, and I think that's what led to the "highest rating" not updating properly. Probably you'll have to complete 2 more so that you've really completed 20. You could also send feedback to have the completed count fixed.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 14:23
    AProdigy's profile only shows the last 18 games in his graph. But he has played 20 games of which 20 are rated.

Why only 18 games in the graph?
  4. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 14:262 edits
    He has really only played 18 that I can tell. The 20 number is wrong, although I don't know why that happens.

A similar thing happened to me (completed games count was wrong). Although Russ fixed it for me, a couple games that were unrated got counted as rated, which is why I think I had a problem with the tournament entry rating at first.

Basically you can either send feedback and have Russ sort it out, or it should fix itself after a couple more games. But yeah, I would avoid entering banded tournaments at the incorrect rating.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 14:35
    Originally posted by incandenza
    He has really only played 18 that I can tell. The 20 number is wrong, although I don't know why that happens.

A similar thing happened to me (completed games count was wrong). Although Russ fixed it for me, a couple games that were unrated got counted as rated, which is why I think I had a problem with the tournament entry rating at first.

Basical ...[text shortened]... ouple more games. But yeah, I would avoid entering banded tournaments at the incorrect rating.
    Meaning he has still a provisional rating?

I think he should'nt rely on his tournament rating until this problem (the number of games actually played) is solved.
  6. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 14:39
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Meaning he has still a provisional rating?

I think he should'nt rely on his tournament rating until this problem (the number of games actually played) is solved.
    Yes, it technically should still be provisional. Although I think at this point it will start to use the non-provisional calculation for subsequent games, unless the completed count is fixed.

Agreed on not relying on the tournament rating until it's accurate.
  7. Bartow, FL
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 14:49
    Well, I guess you all are right. I was so excited about finally joining a tourney, but it really wouldn't be fair. I'll withdraw for now...
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 15:01
    Originally posted by AProdigy
    Well, I guess you all are right. I was so excited about finally joining a tourney, but it really wouldn't be fair. I'll withdraw for now...
    I don't think you have to withdraw from the tournament.
    Play the tourny and enjoy the games!

No on knows yet if your rating of 1420 is overrated or underrated.
  9. Earth
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 20:09
    I don't think you have to withdraw from the tournament.
    Play the tourny and enjoy the games!

No on knows yet if your rating of 1420 is overrated or underrated.
    Exactly, and a player rated 1420 isn't so much better than one rated 1350 that he presents an unfair opponent. Indeed you will still lose 3 in every 10 games or so against someone rated 70 points below you.
    If you were rated 1620 then maybe your guilt would be justified. Enter and feel no shame, and good luck of course
  10. Alabama
    Moves
    03 Sep '07 18:45
    I believe it has to be 20 _rated_ games.
  11. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 09:23
    Originally posted by AProdigy
    Don't withdraw. I must have been rated at every possible number between 1200 and 1456 at some time. Which one is my "correct" rating?
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 10:15
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    I must have been rated at every possible number between 1200 and 1456 at some time. Which one is my "correct" rating?
    If you by 'correct rating' mean the rating which correctly reflect your skill here at RHP (and RHP alone), I would say, after a quick inspection of your rating graph, that you have a 'correct rating' of approximately 1340, give or take some 30 points.

Now you are climbing and if you can maintain this climbing then my estimation is too low. You have your hills before but couldn't keep the higher rating very long. Let's hope your recent climb will be constant untill you reach higher grounds and stay there this time.
  13. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 10:491 edit
    If you by 'correct rating' mean the rating which correctly reflect your skill here at RHP (and RHP alone), I would say, after a quick inspection of your rating graph, that you have a 'correct rating' of approximately 1340, give or take some 30 points.

Now you are climbing and if you can maintain this climbing then my estimation is too low. You have you ur recent climb will be constant untill you reach higher grounds and stay there this time.
    Thanks very much for your efforts, but I wasn't really looking for such a concrete answer. It was more of a rhetorical question. Obviously my rating goes up and down - at a 1225 rating I'm matched in clan challenges with players I can probably beat, so my rating keeps going up until I start to be matched with players who'll probably beat me and then it goes down again until 1225 or so, then it goes up again and so on and so on. The point I was trying to get across is that most people's rating fluctuates over time and it's fair to enter any banded tournament that covers your current rating.

The only exception I would make would be for people who have artificially reduced their rating by either resigning all their games, or just not playing for weeks so they get timed out. I think it's a bit much for such a player (who might have previously been rated consistently at, say, 1500-1600) to enter a tournament which is obviously aimed at weaker players.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 10:59
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    Thanks very much for your efforts, but I wasn't really looking for such a concrete answer. It was more of a rhetorical question. Obviously my rating goes up and down - at a 1225 rating I'm matched in clan challenges with players I can probably beat, so my rating keeps going up until I start to be matched with players who'll probably beat me and then it goe ...[text shortened]... ntly at, say, 1500-1600) to enter a tournament which is obviously aimed at weaker players.
    Hehe, sorry, rethorical question, I wouldn't have guessed. 😵

Is your hint to remedy the situation by not entering banded tournaments? What about other tournaments? Or personal challenges? Some people will lose an unfair amount of rating points to me if my skill is 1600 but my current rating 1000.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree