1. Standard memberIvorW
    Arbortrudor
    London, UK
    Moves
    10 Apr '03 12:24
    Could somebody point me towards somewhere which describes the markup language used in the forums on this site. I am familiar with HTML, pod, wiki and everything2 markups, and I am curious to know what is supported.

The only markup I am aware of so far on RHP is for the smileys and bold/italic/underscore.

Also, how do you get a left or right square bracket, if these symbols are reserved for marking up?

I also have some suggestions for facilities that would be useful in markups.

- Bullet points

- Numbered list, especially for marking up chess moves

- HTML links: you supply a URL and a piece of text to appear

- FEN markup. You supply a board position in FEN, and it renders it for you as a mini chessboard. This would be extremely handy for the puzzles forum.

Russ/Chris: I may be able to offer some dev time to this, and I am UK based (London).
  2. Standard membergodzillion
    (dandan)
    State College, PA
    Moves
    10 Apr '03 14:50
    Originally posted by IvorW
    FEN markup. You supply a board position in FEN, and it renders it for you as a mini chessboard.
    Great idea!
  3. Joined
    19 Aug '02
    Moves
    12 Apr '03 22:16
    Originally posted by IvorW
    Could somebody point me towards somewhere which describes the markup language used in the forums on this site. I am familiar with HTML, pod, wiki and everything2 markups, and I am curious to know what is supported.

The only markup I am aware of so far on RHP is for the smileys and bold/italic/underscore.

Also, how do you get a left or right square bracke ...[text shortened]... forum.

Russ/Chris: I may be able to offer some dev time to this, and I am UK based (London).
    Hoiw do you write in bold/italics and underscore, in the forums ?
  4. Steelers Country
    Moves
    12 Apr '03 22:231 edit
    Originally posted by trekkie
    Hoiw do you write in bold/italics and underscore, in the forums ?
    you put a <b> at the begining and </b> at the end for bold and <i> and </i> fot italic, I didnt know about under score but it would be <u> and </u>

-Adam

Substuit the < and > with [ and ] or it wont work, I'm going to try under score now to see if it works
    underscore --- it didnt work
  5. Standard memberIvorW
    Arbortrudor
    London, UK
    Moves
    13 Apr '03 00:08
    Originally posted by UncleAdam
    you put a <b> at the begining and </b> at the end for bold and <i> and </i> fot italic, I didnt know about under score but it would be <u> and </u>

-Adam

Substuit the < and > with [ and ] or it wont work, I'm going to try under score now to see if it works
    underscore --- it didnt work
    I admit, I didn't try underscore, I just assumed it was there 😉. Most markup systems I have dealt with provide the same mechanism for all three attributes using B, I and U to signify which.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 19:31
    IvorW,

Thanks for your post. Your idea of markup for FENs is a very good one - and will be quite simple to implement - all our mini-boad views render from FENs anyway. This will make it in soon.

No underscores, sorry - the great unwritten rules of the web say : underscores == link. So I have always thought underscores on web pages were a little silly.

-Russ
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 19:32
    Oh yeah, as for your dev. time, drop me a mail.

-Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree